Do you leave apps running in the background or close them?

ROSES5682

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I periodically close them durning the day all at once. Often times I forget to completely shut down the app and mid day I end up with a ton of apps running in the background.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I regularly close the apps that I know I wont be using for a while. Stuff that gets used all day, like Messages, IG, etc usually get left in the switcher. I know it's not necessary but I've always felt like I've been left with better battery life when I don't leave a bunch of apps open.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Back in the day it mattered in iOS. Not any longer.

I always tease my kids because they RELIGIOUSLY close their apps. It's annoying.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I only ever close my apps when I notice that my phone feels slow. It might be placebo, but normally only once every 2-3 weeks. My wife keeps them closed out 5-6 times a day and it annoys me so much.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Even the verb use being tossed around this thread is wrong. When you close an app by pushing the home button the app is placed in STANDBY mode and the carousal you get when you double-click the home button is your recently used apps signified with a screenshot taken by iOS as you closed each app. After a period of time apps in standby mode are SUSPENDED. They are not open and/or using data. Within settings you can turn background app refresh on/off for specific apps which will allow a suspended app to check for data. Some apps need to be suspended to allow this to happen. I have most of these turned off.

iOS is pretty smart about all of this and swiping apps up from the recently used carousel is pointless as general maintenance.... unless you have an unresponsive or rogue data-using app. It is much more efficient to multitask via the recently used app carousel than to open each app from a closed state. The only time I clear my recently used app carousel is when I do a delta software update... and even then it is not necessary (there's my one OCD about this topic...)

Hope this clarifies some misunderstandings!

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I only close apps I use rarely. The ones I use on a daily or near daily basis I leave open. I don't think it does anything to the battery of my phone.

Friendzone

Banned
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I do it about once/week. Not because I feel I need to for performance reasons, I just do it to keep from having to scroll as much when flipping through recently used apps

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I leave every single app in multitasking. Notice I didn't say "running in the background". Truth is, very few in multitasking are actually running in the background at a given time. Closing out all apps does not help in any way. I occasionally close out an app if it's misbehaving. That's it. It's simply not neccessary to close them. They end up using more resources that way.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/1...apps-to-save-battery-life-is-a-terrible-idea/

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Do you keep a bunch of apps running in the background or do you always close them out?

I guess its my OCD but I'm constantly closing apps and never have any running in the background. :rolleyes:

Looked at my wife's phone last night and she had a million apps running in the background.
Felt a little sick after seeing that. :p

Ill join that OCD club. Always close any App thats open when I'm finished using it. don't want my battery to drain unnecessarily

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ill join that OCD club. Always close any App thats open when I'm finished using it. don't want my battery to drain unnecessarily

Leaving apps in multitasking does not drain your battery. It takes more battery to open them when you need them.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I do it sometimes if I am just sitting around. I will pick up my phone and clear the apps out, but not for any real reason. It's not needed and probably counterproductive. It might happen a couple times during the course of a week. I don't even think about it since there isn't a reason to.

Breuklen

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I used to obsessively close out apps. I read that it's actually counterproductive & haven't done it since. The only time I really do is if the app isn't working.

Yes, it takes longer for apps to load and resources are up and ready while the app is in the background.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox