Absolutely ecstatic about taking a bite from the Apple. Power User woes are ...

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Just curious: what is the real use case for this? I respect the need of customizing everything to the tiniest bits (like changing the Androids main font to Comic Sans), but is there really a undenyable argument. for implementing it?

I think it's seen as more of a "basic functionality" of all phones - even back to the days of flip phones - rather than a necessity.

I have the itch about once a year to assign a personal ringer, so it's not the end of the world.

Honestly, I'm sure that the lack of allowing all of this preserves the sanctity of the file system, and in turn keeps the OS and phone running better and keeping with the iPhone buttery smooth Mantra.

If that's the case, then I'll gladly give up that ability for a better os experience.

Shanicenicolle

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this is pretty cool. But you can't download songs from the web to edit - which kinda blows. I forgot about that safari limitation. Oh well, I'll live.

I think you can actually download stuff from safari now using iCloud Drive. Not sure if it will let you import into GarageBand that way though.

Breuklen

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I recently gave up tinkering with apps and systems. Life is a whole lot better. A former co-worker that uses both Android and iPhone came to a similar decision. He spends less time being a power user and more enjoying life. I just want something to work and going completely macOS + iOS (soon) will make my life easier.

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, you have to make a choice: Be able to make everything happen cumbersomely – or be able to make almost everything happen easily.

DX9

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've always liked Android. Seem to go back once a year at least. After the first week or so with Android I'm at a point to install GSAM to see what is draining my battery. One day it's good then the other day it's crap. Just way too many inconsistencies happening and I'm always constantly doing something to the phone every hour it seems to fix something. There will always be things that I like about Android better but at the end of the day I'm so happy to have iMessage, FaceTime with my kids, and crazy battery life and not having to charge it by 3pm each day. Wife has an iPhone, kids have iPads, we have a Mac, Apple TV and so on. Just makes sense to stay with iOS. I always appreciate it even more getting HD videos from friends etc with iMessage. Really enjoy iOS 10 for sure.

Apple Pay is great in Canada also since since virtually all terminals at stores have Tap And Pay. There is no Samsung Pay or Android Pay in Canada yet. Been great coming back to iOS from the Note 7 for sure. No regrets leaving Android

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site

Breuklen

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
It's starting to get annoying not being to use iMessage with iPhone users. And having chats/text sessions where parts of my messages are blank or unclear. Can't believe how that's such a big part of my upcoming switch to iOS from Android.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm mourning the fact that I had to give up my Pixel. Loved just about everything about that smartphone. But sadly I had to return it. So I got the iPhone 7 and basically made this device as close to the Pixel as I possibly could. I even bought the same case and color so it sort of looks like the same smartphone.

Last edited:

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm mourning the fact that I had to give up my Pixel. Loved just about everything about that smartphone. But sanity I had to return it. So I got the iPhone 7 and basically made this device as close to the Pixel as I possibly could. I even bought the same case and color so it sort of looks like the same smartphone.

Don't Mourn, EMBRACE!!!

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Don't Mourn, EMBRACE!!!

I will. It's a great phone. But I was thinking that the Pixel was going to be the best phone for me. Been a tough year fire me with smartphones. Had the Note 7 and loved that phone. Actually had settled on the Note series as behind the line that meet my needs best. But no dice. Recalled detailed that plan. But then the Pixel was released and it seemed like perfect timing. The phone was awesome in every way which surprised me because it's very different than the Note 7. But then I had to return that due to issues. Now back to the iPhone. Crazy thing is, now that I Google-fied my iPhone, it could be an even better fit. We're will see what the coming days bring.

Friendzone

Banned
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Wow. Wow. Wow. I also find myself wasting less time messing with my phone which equates to at least 60 minutes per day.

One of the only issues that I'm struggling with is the fact that I pridemyself on being an absolute power user on android. I can make anything happen, make anything work, and do anything on my android devices.

Well, you kinda created the work for yourself, you can't actually blame your phones my friend. There was literally nothing stopping you from using a Nexus 6P or Pixel phone as-is out of the box the same way you're using your iPhone because the last 2 years are designed to be flagships in their own right with zero tweaking unlike the old Nexus days years back. You are your own liquor control board ;)

DX9

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm mourning the fact that I had to give up my Pixel. Loved just about everything about that smartphone. But sadly I had to return it. So I got the iPhone 7 and basically made this device as close to the Pixel as I possibly could. I even bought the same case and color so it sort of looks like the same smartphone.

What issues with the Pixel? I had it for a few days to try as I opened another line to see how it was. I returned it a few days later as I enjoyed my 7 Plus that much more

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I will. It's a great phone. But I was thinking that the Pixel was going to be the best phone for me. Been a tough year fire me with smartphones. Had the Note 7 and loved that phone. Actually had settled on the Note series as behind the line that meet my needs best. But no dice. Recalled detailed that plan. But then the Pixel was released and it seemed like perfect timing. The phone was awesome in every way which surprised me because it's very different than the Note 7. But then I had to return that due to issues. Now back to the iPhone. Crazy thing is, now that I Google-fied my iPhone, it could be an even better fit. We're will see what the coming days bring.

Thanks for the story. What have you done to Google-fi your phone? Please share.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the story. What have you done to Google-fi your phone? Please share.

Just everything Google. Google keyboard, maps, search, Gmail app, Drive, Hangouts, etc. The integration isn't exactly there. But Google services have always worked really well on iOS. Helps that the iPhone and the Pixel look very similar.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
What issues with the Pixel? I had it for a few days to try as I opened another line to see how it was. I returned it a few days later as I enjoyed my 7 Plus that much more

Went into a weird extended boot cycle that lasted an hour and then when it finally turned on it was not working properly. Navigation buttons weren't working as they should and I couldn't get data. Verizon didn't have anymore Pixels in stock so I got an iPhone.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Just everything Google. Google keyboard, maps, search, Gmail app, Drive, Hangouts, etc. The integration isn't exactly there. But Google services have always worked really well on iOS. Helps that the iPhone and the Pixel look very similar.

I wish Google Now worked as well on iOS as it does on Android. Even though I have several cards activated I only get weather, stocks, stories, and sports pop up. Also, GN on Android has song recognition which is lacking on iOS, and I loooove using that. It's so much more convenient than Shazam or SoundHound.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, this is pretty cool. But you can't download songs from the web to edit - which kinda blows. I forgot about that safari limitation. Oh well, I'll live.

I'm still crossing my fingers for the day Apple allows me to download music from the web and have it go directly to the Music app for me to listen to. I envy Android in that you literally don't need a computer for anything whereas Apple still requires a computer for a handful of tasks.