Live

Black Friday deal team is live right now!

Join our live stream for latest deals

Expand Minimize
    Apple implemented their own high-quality Bluetooth audio standard, I believe they call it AAC Over Bluetooth. Theoretically speaking it should provide for an equal quality to aptX. Now all we need is to get other Bluetooth headphone makers to implement AAC and things will be great.

As for the adapter, I tried the adapter with my pair of Sony headphones and holy crap did it sound good!
    12-04-2016 12:54 PM
    Not sure why people think it's the future. I've gone through close to 30 Bluetooth hands free devices over the years. I do hope good Bluetooth comes along at some point. "In the future".

Wireless audio is easy. People have generally low expectations for audio quality so as long as it doesn't drop out most people would call it good.

Wireless microphones are an entirely different problem set. If it was easy the Airpods would be an actual product by now. The companies that have been doing it for a while have a lot of R&D into noise cancellation algorithms and ambient noise rejection techniques, sometimes they work sometimes they don't, and you'll never know it until someone on the call says they have no idea what you just said.
    Totally agree. It'd I had to use my phone for work calls and had to use Bluetooth for it, it would be a disaster. I deal with the lack of a headphone jack for music, but the lag makes watching video a pain, and there's is always enough of a lag that on a phone call it can be annoying . If I had to do so on a conference call, especially if I want able to charge at the same time, the iphone 7 would have been a no go.
    dejanh likes this.
    12-04-2016 12:58 PM
    Yes, but have you ever tried to airplay the audio while watching a video on the phone? Thats some serious lag.

But back to the problem at hand, it looks like the belkin splitter will not work. They say "It does not support syncing or any other USB data", which would prevent getting traffic data into my nav. So... out of options, or at least ideas.
    12-04-2016 02:04 PM
    Good point, your logic is impeccable. Driverless cars are also be future, I'm going to run to the store and let my car drive itself.
    It was my opinion -- I wasn't asking you to agree Tesla has a pretty sweet auto-pilot system -- if my kids were older and I knew they wouldn't destroy it (so basically if they didn't live here anymore) I'd love to have one.
    12-04-2016 03:38 PM
    I have one of those Jabra ear pieces that I can stick in my ear for the times in which I know I'm going to be on the phone for an extended period of time, never have I had any problems with people understanding me or any kind of lag while talking on the phone. I also use my Bluetooth headphones for watching videos on my iPhone 7 Plus (hell, I used it on my old iPhone 6 Plus when I still had it) on NetFlix, not one issue with lip-sync. I also use my Bluetooth headphones with a Bluetooth transceiver when watching TV in my living room that's connected the headphone-out port on my audio receiver, if there's a lip-sync issue it's so so very subtle that I can barely notice unless I really pay attention.

Maybe all of you have some cheap Bluetooth headphones. I have Skullcandy Hesh 2 Wireless.
    12-04-2016 04:44 PM
    The skullcandy are just run of the mill bt headphones. BT headphones have been more or less viable for about 5 years. Even when they aren't good, they're still better than the 900mhz wireless headphones they displaced.

Two way communications are where the tech fails. If apple can solve that, more power to them. It would seem they thought they could solve it, so they created this problem with plans to sell the solution, but the solution never shipped. All we're left with is the problem. I can remediate it in some situations, just not while I'm driving.
    12-04-2016 06:20 PM
    Then why does my cheap Jabra Bluetooth earpiece work with no issues? No lag, works perfectly.
    12-04-2016 06:33 PM
    I'm not sure I could deal with that on my phone, maybe a laptop. I use headphones a lot for audiobooks especially when I jog. However if I forget to charge i'm screwed so i just run wired headphones through my shirt. They're also cheaper to replace so really I'm not sure Apple should have ripped the band aid off just yet.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    12-04-2016 07:06 PM
    Three factors contribute to the illusion of it working well:
    - Light duty usage
    - Favorable operating conditions
    - People being accustomed to hearing you sound like that
    dejanh likes this.
    12-04-2016 07:30 PM
    Then why does my cheap Jabra Bluetooth earpiece work with no issues? No lag, works perfectly.
    As someon who has spoken to people using BT on a cell on a conference call, it may work for you, but I assure you it doesn't always work for the audience.

I use power beats 2 for my BT headphones, you tell me if they are a cheap *** solution. People I speak to often ask me to get off the headset and speak on the phone directly.
    dejanh likes this.
    12-05-2016 08:48 AM
    The future is wireless... had to rip the band-aid off at some point
    I absolutely agree. Only Apple wants it to be their overly-priced wireless products at some point. Hopefully at some point they'll license the W chip for 3rd-party manufacturers to implement on Apple devices.
    12-05-2016 09:39 AM
    This issue for me isnt Bluetooth quality sound, rather when I talk on conference calls. I perfected the wired ones. My studio wireless beats headphones work great. The battery life on the 7 plus is outstanding but sometimes conferences can go for 3-4 hours.
    12-05-2016 09:49 AM
    I've noticed some horrible lag lately in the audio while watching videos. I've noticed the lag when using my Harmon Kardon LG Tones as well as when connected to my car. I also notice it when I'm connected to my HK bluetooth speaker. There is no lag when my headphones are plugged into my phone.

This is unfortunate considering bluetooth is the direction Apple is pushing us in.
    dejanh and ladyc0524 like this.
    12-05-2016 09:49 AM
    I've noticed some horrible lag lately in the audio while watching videos. I've noticed the lag when using my Harmon Kardon LG Tones as well as when connected to my car. I also notice it when I'm connected to my HK bluetooth speaker. There is no lag when my headphones are plugged into my phone.

This is unfortunate considering bluetooth is the direction Apple is pushing us in.
    I noticed the same thing for videos. For professionals thou, for me it's about conference calls. I use noise cancelation headphones and the bluetooth microphone normally isn't good, when I use the wired cord, I sound great
    dejanh likes this.
    12-05-2016 09:51 AM
    It wasn't a brave decision. It was an arrogant, thoughtless, greedy decision.
    This
    jj2339 and Wotchered like this.
    12-06-2016 09:45 PM
    This will solve the problem of losing the dongle! Such a clever idea!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search
    12-07-2016 11:15 AM
    This will solve the problem of losing the dongle! Such a clever idea!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search
    Good luck with hubby's kickstarter
    klp11 likes this.
    12-07-2016 11:24 AM
    Man, I wish I could down-vote replies.

It is not effective when somebody argues "it works for me, I don't know what you're talking about". There are well documented problems with Bluetooth and wireless technology in general when employed in audio, and in this particular case with headphones/mics. Apple has done nothing to address those. Heck, they can't even get their own "wireless" product out into the market. At this point the AirPods are borderline vaporware. The whole removal of the jack is an outright fiasco and the sales will show that, though sadly we will never know exactly how many sales were lost due to the removal of the jack vs. just general slowdown in smartphone sales, and particularly iPhone sales. What is even more depressing to see is all of the copycat manufacturers that now feel that somehow Apple's "courageous" (read dumb) move to remove the jack signals to all others that it is okay to do so as well. Watch Samsung take off the jack in the next series of phones. Then again, maybe it will come back with the S9 series, much like the SD card did after serious backlash.

I'm sticking with my 6s Plus and will see whether Apple is going to continue to get my business with the next iPhone. 7 is a no go, nearly zero improvement over the 6s series. I am not going to be a beta tester for Apple's transitional hardware. Even their dual-camera solution is half-baked and remains so (beta DoF anyone?).
    Last edited by dejanh; 12-07-2016 at 11:56 AM.
    jj2339 likes this.
    12-07-2016 11:45 AM
    I'm not sure how much simpler I could put this but:
    I'm really not that concerned with how music sounds over bluetooth, I'm concerned about how I sound.

That seems to be a hard point to get across with all the focus on listening to itunes over bt. I fully expect music playback on Airpods to rival the mediocrity of earpods, if they ever figure out how to manufacture them. I'm just not sure what to expect from the mic.

My remediation plan was going to involve 3 docks, and possibly hacking a 4th for mobile use, but now that I see these are $100 each that plan isn't looking so good.
    Last edited by lusid1; 12-11-2016 at 03:26 AM.
    jj2339 likes this.
    12-07-2016 08:53 PM
    So for those who think removing the headjack was a good thing, that it was courageous and about time, how does the fact that Apple's solution for the removal, is still not ready for primetime? To me, if this was a long overdue change that the world was ready for, than Apple's solution should have been ready at least in concert with the removal of the jack.

http://fortune.com/2016/12/09/apple-...lay-technical/
    recDNA likes this.
    12-10-2016 08:20 AM
    This has not been much of our any problem in our family. My wife got 7 plus early. I'm wrapping up week two.

So far the dual cameras and better speaker are worth any adjustments. That said, I'm sure if still be happy with my 6s plus but getting 2 new phones for mom and dad was a good solution for kids who needed phones.

I use head phones a lot for support and conference calls. I'm sure speaker will be fine if I reach a moment needing a battery charge. I have considered a battery case before no jack and the 7 plus.

Overall this loss of jack hasn't been the crisis many have cried about. Especially considering the way my work requires smart phone use. I'm the sr IT admin in an enterprise with 650 employees, so this is more tool than toy. It works.

That said, I have bookmarked some Lightening splitters but not bought.
    12-10-2016 09:29 AM
    To be honest, I'm annoyed by the removal but still got the iphone 7 plus anyway. I don't use my phone for work purposes nor do I watch video on it with my BT headphones. I use my iPad which has a headphone jack for video. When I travel and get a rental car, I just have to make sure I get a Bt enabled car, so I can GPS and charge at same time. So it's not critical for me, but I still find the decision anti consumer and not a win in any way.

I just find the defense of this move as somehow 'needed' or 'courageous' as baffling given the very real issues that the lack of a jack has for some people and how they use their phones. If the 'solution' to removal is so difficult for apple to implement, it was hardly about time for this move.
    12-10-2016 09:51 AM
    It doesn't affect me at all to be honest.. I always carry my bluetooth headphones around.
    12-10-2016 03:14 PM
    Good point, your logic is impeccable. Driverless cars are also be future, I'm going to run to the store and let my car drive itself.

Technology isn't ready for pure wireless for every situation. That 'rip the bandaid' logic is really silly, for people who have real needs that can't be met by removing a jack, which didn't seem completely necessary or courageous.
    But if you have a real need why buy the phone? I say this with all due respect but we all knew the headphone jack was removed so why buy the phone? I have a sports car with a very limited back seat, it make no sense to buy the car then complain that I don't have a backseat, I knew this going in.
    12-10-2016 04:19 PM
    Yeah it sucks
    12-10-2016 05:27 PM
103 1234 ...