Help setting up new AT&T 7 plus

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I have a 6+ all up to date and backed up in iTunes. I have a new 7+ that I'd like to set up. I usually do it through my local AT&T store, having them transfer contacts, activate it, etc., and gets it preliminarily set up, and then I just go home and connected to iTunes and load the content.
The 7+ came with instructions about using the AT&T mobile transfer app to transfer contacts from the old Sim to the new Sim, and it refers me to an online guide, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an easier way to do it since I have iTunes already to go., and I assume whatever is on the same card is also backed up in iTunes. Can someone please advise me on the simplest way to set up the new phone considering the details I have provided?

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
BTW they instruct me to use the mobile transfer to transfer sim contacts, and not to use the old Sim card in the new phone. But I can't download the mobile transfer app on the new phone without setting it up first. Hmmm

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah, I live rurally and use my att iPhone for my internet connection and so only have limited data.. so I don't use iCloud backup.
Is it as simple as 1-leave new SIM card in new phone, 2-activate new phone, 3-restore from my encrypted iTunes backup?

I only use iCloud for contacts backup; will iTunes also have my contacts backed up?

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My wife always has way too much stuff on her phone that I can never do an iCloud back up for her, always have to back up to iTunes. IIRC it basically creates an exact backup of your phone so everything should be restored. We are also on ATT and I have never used any ATT transfer/backup apps.

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Definitely restore from the iTunes backup. If the iTunes backup from the 6+ was encrypted then all your passwords for Apps and WIFI will also be preserved. This is what I did when going from my 6+ to the 7+. It was extremely easy to do and made setup do much easier than even using an iCloud backup.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I usually restore from iTunes backup as well, but this year with my new iPhone, I decided to set up as new and get a fresh new start. Lots of work though, but the FUN of setting up brand new never gets old.

dasupaman23

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if this is mentioned but when you back up in iTunes, make it encrypted. This puts a password on the backup. Keeps most of the log ins on apps intact.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73