Apple made two versions of iPhone 7, and one of them sucks

applefan4515

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
The article says the problem arises only in weak signal areas.

Then people are complaining that that it's slow in low service areas. Hmm. Alright. I'm at home right now. Where I go between 1-2 dots of service. I'd call that low service.
872da925b2f68b6f9fb27ece620f91c3.jpg
Again. How will I ever live with these slow speeds?!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
But with an iphone 6 you might have 4 bars

Incorrect, the piece of tech in question is not the radio itself. It also states the performance difference occurs when your connectivity reaches a strength of roughly -105. So it would be a comparison of a Verizon/Sprint iPhone at 1-2 bars and an AT&T/T-Mobile at 1-2 bars.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay? Why did you need to quote me in it? I'm not the one who created the thread. I was only citing sources.

I quoted you because you're comment was about people taking it out of context. The context is that in areas with weak coverage the intel chip is a subpar chip. However in real world usage there is no difference. As far as the source, they manufactured the situations for testing rather than testing in real world situations.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
But with an iphone 6 you might have 4 bars

Where is it saying that the intel version has a weaker antenna than the Qualcomm version? They'd both have 2 bars, but according to the source the Qualcomm version would be faster in the lower signal areas.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
The Cubs are going to the World Series because the iPhone for Verizon has a Qualcomm. If it didn't, then the Dodgers would be going. :rotfl:

YankInDaSouth

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
This is interesting... when I first got my T-Mobile iPhone 7 Plus I ran speed tests and got about 60-70mbs down in an area that my S7 Edge consistently got 100+mbs down. Honestly didn't think anything of it but reading this article may explain why.

pychinat

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Since I still have my IP6+ 64GB as I have not yet sent it in to AT&T for the trade-in promo, I compared LTE speeds against my new IP7+ 128GB. Both are AT&T phones (and I confirmed that my new one has the Intel modem). My conclusion was that in the house where I normally average 2 bars, the IP6+ was reporting a mean of 28MBits/sec while the IP7+ was showing a mean of 22MBits/sec. While its not the end of the world for me, I am deeply troubled by the realization of what if my reception was worse than my home which is very likely in my day-to-day usage (e.g. my office averages 1 bar). Besides the obvious moronic (and greed-based) oversight on Apple's part, do I need to spell out the obvious dire implications in an emergency situation?

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I would love to see the actual signal strength number on my AT&T 7 Plus but Field Test Mode is broken...

Maybe it will get fixed in 10.1 but I'm not holding my breath.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I installed 10.1 a little while ago and I'm getting significantly worse speed test results on LTE compared to 10.0.3. Could be a transient network condition or background stuff still going on from the update, though. I'll try after work when I'm in a better coverage area.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods