Apple made two versions of iPhone 7, and one of them sucks

applefan4515

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
ce7339a1e2550dff29e3e7f94d4f00b0.jpg

Yup. This intel modem is killing me. How ever can I make it through life with speeds this slow?!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that the Qualcomm modem was better when the 7 released. I am using a Verizon mode on ATT. I did that for resale bc it supports CDMA and GSM but am glad it has the Qualcomm modem. I doubt I'd be able to tell a difference in real world use, but whatever.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
This is why I never preorder or buy new tech the day it drops. I was going to buy a 7+ from AT&T when they became readily available. Obviously that would have been a mistake. Now I've decided to get the sim free version directly from Apple. It will cost a few dollars more per month but will be worth it to have the better modem.

I've been checking my signal lately for another reason and I'm very often in the -100 dBm to -110 dBm range which is where the intel modem drops off the most. I'm glad this info came out before I made a mistake.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
It's ok, I use my Intel modem phone is areas of lower coverage all the time with no issues.

"No issues" as compared to what?? You have no clue whether it's performing as well as a Qualcomm version.

Those who bought the Intel version and who are past their return date will argue until they're blue in the face that their phone isn't affected by the subpar modem. Doesn't make it so.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
This is why I never preorder or buy new tech the day it drops. I was going to buy a 7+ from AT&T when they became readily available. Obviously that would have been a mistake. Now I've decided to get the sim free version directly from Apple. It will cost a few dollars more per month but will be worth it to have the better modem.

I've been checking my signal lately for another reason and I'm very often in the -100 dBm to -110 dBm range which is where the intel modem drops off the most. I'm glad this info came out before I made a mistake.

I bought mine directly from apple and I have the intel modem so you might want to double check that before buying.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
"No issues" as compared to what?? You have no clue whether it's performing as well as a Qualcomm version.

Those who bought the Intel version and who are past their return date will argue until they're blue in the face that their phone isn't affected by the subpar modem. Doesn't make it so.

And it's supposed to be better compared to what? Does my phone work? Yes.
Does it work as expected? Yes. Are there any performance issues? No. Are there any connectivity issues? No. The problem with tests like these is that it's sole purpose is to make people claim theirs is superior. The effects are tiny and not noticeable.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site

I think you're making way to big of a deal over this. I have both versions of the 7Plus and I can tell you that when using both phones in weaker signal areas I can't tell a difference. If it was being measured by some people in a lab then they might be telling me that its different, but its not something I see with my eyes using both phones.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I bought mine directly from apple and I have the intel modem so you might want to double check that before buying.

Did you buy the sim free model on the iPhone upgrade program or did you upgrade using your att account? Who do you pay your payment to?

mikezmac

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/20/iphone-7-plus-qualcomm-modem-bests-intel-modem/

"In all three tests, both the iPhone 7 Plus models offered similar performance in ideal conditions, but as power levels decreased, Cellular Insights saw "unexplainable sharp dips in performance" in the Intel modem, finding a gap "north of 30%" in favor of the Qualcomm iPhone 7 Plus."

You read that wrong. That 30% is the delimitation point where the deviation in the chart begins.

mikezmac

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
This issue only comes into play when you have low signal strength. One of them will be able to handle the low signal strength much better than the other.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
It's ok, I use my Intel modem phone is areas of lower coverage all the time with no issues.

Again, proving my point that nobody reads and takes everything out of context. If you read any of my previous posts, you'd see that I was only talking about the numbers. I even specifically wrote that I have not seen anybody complain about it affecting actual use.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Again, proving my point that nobody reads and takes everything out of context. If you read any of my previous posts, you'd see that I was only talking about the numbers. I even specifically wrote that I have not seen anybody complain about it affecting actual use.

And that's my point too. The numbers, that's all they are. Do the numbers matter when they bear no real world effects?