Apple made two versions of iPhone 7, and one of them sucks

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The author of that article has published nine articles for "TNW" in the last 24 hours. I'm not sure how much I care about his opinion.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Out performs by 30%? I can't stop laughing. No bench marks or facts behind this.

There was actually a reputable company who confirmed this with different speed tests. However, I have yet to hear anyone complain about any difference in actual usage.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I think if it was 30%, this would have been all over the place. Could there be slight performance change that an average person wouldn't notice? Absolutely. But we are talking 30%. This would have been another Gate if so.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I think if it was 30%, this would have been all over the place. Could there be slight performance change that an average person wouldn't notice? Absolutely. But we are talking 30%. This would have been another Gate if so.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/20/iphone-7-plus-qualcomm-modem-bests-intel-modem/

"In all three tests, both the iPhone 7 Plus models offered similar performance in ideal conditions, but as power levels decreased, Cellular Insights saw "unexplainable sharp dips in performance" in the Intel modem, finding a gap "north of 30%" in favor of the Qualcomm iPhone 7 Plus."

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/20/iphone-7-plus-qualcomm-modem-bests-intel-modem/

"In all three tests, both the iPhone 7 Plus models offered similar performance in ideal conditions, but as power levels decreased, Cellular Insights saw "unexplainable sharp dips in performance" in the Intel modem, finding a gap "north of 30%" in favor of the Qualcomm iPhone 7 Plus."

So I'm confused how this is still better. This is LTE modem, right? Then why are there so many Verizon users complaining about cellular issues? Maybe that was finally fixed with this last update. 30% better shouldn't mean many complaints about cellular issues. This still makes no sense.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
So I'm confused how this is still better. This is LTE modem, right? Then why are there so many Verizon users complaining about cellular issues? Maybe that was finally fixed with this last update. 30% better shouldn't mean many complaints about cellular issues. This still makes no sense.

Based on the speed tests done in this article, only the T-Mobile and AT&T models are affected. Not sure why Verizon users are complaining about cellular issues.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Based on the speed tests done in this article, only the T-Mobile and AT&T models are affected. Not sure why Verizon users are complaining about cellular issues.

Threads all over the forums here about it. Tests that one person does doesn't mean that is real life situation for everybody else. It's fluff.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Threads all over the forums here about it. Tests that one person does doesn't mean that is real life situation for everybody else. It's fluff.

Did you read the article or are you just ranting? They were professionally conducted tests, ran multiple times on multiple devices. I don't understand why you're arguing it? It's been proven already.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Did you read the article or are you just ranting? They were professionally conducted tests, ran multiple times on multiple devices. I don't understand why you're arguing it? It's been proven already.

I read it. Proven what? Looks at real life usage with threads over Verizon users having issues in this forum. Should I believe 100's or a so called proven test. I believe the realize usage, thank you.

Professional. Lmao.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I remember reading that Qualcomm has the licenses for USA LTE bands so that's why there are two processors.

This applies to Samsung Note devices. International versions has the Exynos processor and USA version has Qualcomm.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Having been on AT&T and being on T-Mobile now (3 different iPhones on T-Mobile btw), I can tell you for a certainty that 1.) T-Mobile has faster LTE speeds than AT&T (last I checked), 2.) there is not a signal performance difference between the iPhones 6s/6s Plus/7 Plus on T-Mobile. This is also based on usage across the US in varied strengths of signal. If anything, the 7 Plus gets better reception/connectivity with weaker connections than previous models. In case you were wondering, I do not agree with a single point in the argument that the T-Mobile is worse than the Verizon one.

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Seems like almost the same discussion as last year...

Two different processors are not the same, specially with the dual component that one side is used for low activity to save battery power and the other for performance, you can't really tell from these tests which kicks in. Maybe the one that looses a bit of performance when the battery is lower lasts a lot longer on a full charge? Has that also been considered?

In the end, they both meet the standards set by apple.

jneusch

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

There was a software issue that was resolved with 10.0.3. My VZ phone has been flawless with LTE performance since the update.

The VZ model with the Qualcomm modem will also be worth more at resale due to the modem covering all bands. The Intel modem doesn't include the CDMA radios. This of course doesn't affect performance, but certainly something to consider when buying.

substring

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
This might be slightly off topic, but being a Verizon Wireless customer for over 5 years, I never ever have reception or bandwidth problem everywhere I go. Very often when I attended professional conference where the conference WiFi could not handle the large crowd (30,000 - 50,000 attendees), I stayed on my VzW and was perfectly fine. But other attendees on AT&T complained they did not have the reception and had to rely on WiFi. :)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This might be slightly off topic, but being a Verizon Wireless customer for over 5 years, I never ever have reception or bandwidth problem everywhere I go. Very often when I attended professional conference where the conference WiFi could not handle the large crowd (30,000 - 50,000 attendees), I stayed on my VzW and was perfectly fine. But other attendees on AT&T complained they did not have the reception and had to rely on WiFi. :)

Although this isn't really the subject of the OP, I can vouch for this. I used AT&T for a very long time. Since 2007 as a matter of fact. Then in June I switched to Verizon and can't believe that my phone uses data so well in low signal areas without a hitch. The bandwidth and lack of interference seems a lot better for me than it ever did on AT&T.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox