IPHONE 7 PLUS VIDEO: Optical vs Digital Zoom Comparison

MrJavelina

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
A video comparison of the new iPhone 7 Plus optical vs digital zoom. Compares 1X, 2X Optical, and 3X, 4X, and 5X Digital zoom in both 1080 and 4K.

How much zoom would you use?

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Why downsample to 1080 with 4K examples?
Make the entire video 4K so the 4K examples show, um, what 4K looks like. I use a 4K (not UHD) display at 4096x2160 so, yes, I can definitely see the difference!

MrJavelina

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Why downsample to 1080 with 4K examples?
Make the entire video 4K so the 4K examples show, um, what 4K looks like. I use a 4K (not UHD) display at 4096x2160 so, yes, I can definitely see the difference!

Agreed! I've got more 4k projects coming. My goal here was to export for best image quality.

Here is a 4k project showing some 2 and 3x zooms in 4k:

Many thanks for watching and commenting.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok that's more like it!
You can really see the loss of detail when switching indoors in lower light.
Most would argue that this did NOT come from a phone as well!
The red tail catfish are awesome too. :)

And to answer your original question I only use optical zoom unless I just need to get in closer for an ID or similar. I do find with UHD recording (up to) 4X optical zoom is still acceptable for 1080 final renders. Of course mileage always varies.

Imagine what the video would look like with a higher bit rate. The A10 could handle 200+ Mbps UHD output. It would be a space eater for sure but 256GB holds enough for now. :)

MrJavelina

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Ok that's more like it!
You can really see the loss of detail when switching indoors in lower light.
Most would argue that this did NOT come from a phone as well!
The red tail catfish are awesome too. :)

And to answer your original question I only use optical zoom unless I just need to get in closer for an ID or similar. I do find with UHD recording (up to) 4X optical zoom is still acceptable for 1080 final renders. Of course mileage always varies.

Imagine what the video would look like with a higher bit rate. The A10 could handle 200+ Mbps UHD output. It would be a space eater for sure but 256GB holds enough for now. :)

I'm happy to hear you found the 4k project useful.

As you said, indoors the tele lens is questionable, outdoors with stabilization it's golden. With some practice we'll know when and how to use it for best result.

Agreed! Smartphone cameras have come a long way.

Next project will be shot in 4K, cropped in for editor pans & tilts, then exported in 1080. The objective is to leave the fluid head behind, shoot static and edit in the movement.

Thanks again for watching and commenting.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the video, MrJavelina! as usual the video quality is on point and looking good. Hopefully one day i can get my hands on a iPhone and use the Zoom ^_^

MrJavelina

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the video, MrJavelina! as usual the video quality is on point and looking good. Hopefully one day i can get my hands on a iPhone and use the Zoom ^_^

Finger crossed you get your iPhone 7 Plus soon Matty.

Thank you for watching and commenting.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234