Ready to ditch lifelong Android usage.... For the iPhone 7 plus! Help me!

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Hey, All...

OK, I've been on Android since day one, and I tend to hop to new devices or three times a year. I'm currently on a Nexus 6p, and it's the best phone I've ever owned as far as stability, speed, and fluidity of the user interface.

I took a step back and realized that 97% of the time I spend on my phone is trying to tweak it, rearrange it, and make it perform better. I'm getting tired of this wasted time. I pretty much do everything on my phone, so I want it to be efficient, reliable, and powerful. If there's something I simply can't do on my phone. I simply jump to my laptop.

The iPhone 7 Plus is the first time I've really considered an iPhone.

I was offended With the release of the Pixel XL and the death of the Nexus line as the Pixel is priced as a premium flagship, yet I KNOW it will still succumb to the lag and fragmented OS issues that have always plagued Android. I don't want to pay $800+ for anAndroid phone THAT I KNOW won't be able to live up to that price and promise.

Please give me words of encouragement and positive points.....and if it works, I'll be picking an i7p up as soon as the local Apple store gets one in Stock. I'm on Verizon, for what it's worth.

Also, I'll be honest - I always considered myself a power user on Android and there wasn't anything I couldn't do.... Video editing, sound editing, document editing, zipping, raring, uploading, file management, whatever.... I could do it. I liked being able to say that.

Is it possible to be a "power iPhone user?" that is, is the beautiful ecosystem too locked down to the point that you can't be as efficient and usable, or am I looking at this in the wrong way?

One example, if I want a new ringtone on my Nexus, I go to any website from my mobile browser and download a wav or MP3 file, trim it in an app, go to my file Explorer app, then click on the new audio clip and set as my ringer. From what I understand, it's not that easy on iPhone and I have to use a computer and iTunes.... I feel like that dependency takes away my freedom and ability to do what I want, and I kind of embarrassing - especially since I have been bashing Apple for so long about this very simple process. Please convince me other...

Im ready to join the Apple Gang!

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The great thing about iOS is that it's already efficient. You can tweak things to improve batter life, and make cosmetic adjustments. iTunes is the best way for managing music, ringtones, photos and more. I have over 300 ringtones on my phone now, why.. I can't tell you since I use the same 4-5 all the time, but yet they're there. It's just the easiest way of managing the phone.

There are many apps to allow you to create and save ringtones. You should google "Create Ringtones for iPhone" and see the vast options. I create them and just sync with my phone via iTunes, but again, you have choices. I also custom make my lock screens and backgrounds in Photoshop and again use iTunes to sync.

Totally up to you, but it's because much of iOS is locked down, that you will get the great performance you do across devices.

Good luck in your choices, and welcome to iMore.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I've used both iOS and Android and iOS is simply more refined, reliable, and doesn't require constant tweaking as you mentioned. I hate to be clich?, but it just works, without fail.

As far as it being possible to be a power iPhone user, it's more than possible in my opinion. I use an iPhone for work and I can do almost anything I need to without having to lug out the laptop. There will always be some things that smartphones can't do, so for me, the laptop is still needed occasionally. If you're truly a power user, I'd consider one of the iPad Pro models as well. I find them to be more useful for business tasks and schoolwork mainly because of the larger screen size.

badMojo69

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If you are truly tired of tweaking your phone then IOS will work just fine for you. I was over it and this is my 1st iPhone and it's working just fine for me.
Also " fragmented OS" will not be an issue for the Pixel as it will be the phone that the OS is designed for. Google will not care if OS updates are pushed to other phones. Why, because if people don't like it then they can buy a Pixel. :)

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
If you are truly tired of tweaking your phone then IOS will work just fine for you. I was over it and this is my 1st iPhone and it's working just fine for me.
Also " fragmented OS" will not be an issue for the Pixel as it will be the phone that the OS is designed for. Google will not care if OS updates are pushed to other phones. Why, because if people don't like it then they can buy a Pixel. :)

I hear ya.... But I still think that the first generation of the Pixel will be as seamless as a 10th generation (or whatever) iPhone. That would be awesome, I just don't see it being that way.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya.... But I still think that the first generation of the Pixel will be as seamless as a 10th generation (or whatever) iPhone. That would be awesome, I just don't see it being that way.

There are always going to be growing pains, so I would expect Pixel to experience a few -- but honestly, it looks like a very promising product. Not enough to make me move to Android, but it's nice. I've given android a fair shake at least 3x over the years and I have found so many bugs and other issues that I always ended up back with my iphone. I will never say never, but I will say not right now.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

No one know what the Pixel will bring long term, since it's only in test/hands now. Seems like a nice phone, with a nice camera. That being said, it's a choice. The performance tests show that the iPhone 7 is a better performer. The camera tests are mixed based on how you use the camera. If going for raw pixels, than sure.. the Pixel is fine. We don't know about their OS updates / pushes / etc.. or how it will be based on your provider of choice. Big "who knows" for now. Could be a success and a nice phone, could be another Amazon fire phone.. it's all speculation now. With the Note going "boom" it's a good time for both Google's Pixel and the iPhone 7+

Hansana

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey, All...

OK, I've been on Android since day one, and I tend to hop to new devices or three times a year. I'm currently on a Nexus 6p, and it's the best phone I've ever owned as far as stability, speed, and fluidity of the user interface.

I took a step back and realized that 97% of the time I spend on my phone is trying to tweak it, rearrange it, and make it perform better. I'm getting tired of this wasted time. I pretty much do everything on my phone, so I want it to be efficient, reliable, and powerful. If there's something I simply can't do on my phone. I simply jump to my laptop.

I was offended With the release of the Pixel XL and the death of the Nexus line as the Pixel is priced as a premium flagship, yet I KNOW it will still succumb to the lag and fragmented OS issues that have always plagued Android. I don't want to pay $800+ for anAndroid phone THAT I KNOW won't be able to live up to that price and promise.

Please give me words of encouragement and positive points.....and if it works, I'll be picking an i7p up as soon as the local Apple store gets one in Stock. I'm on Verizon, for what it's worth.

Also, I'll be honest - I always considered myself a power user on Android and there wasn't anything I couldn't do.... Video editing, sound editing, document editing, zipping, raring, uploading, file management, whatever.... I could do it. I liked being able to say that.

Is it possible to be a "power iPhone user?" that is, is the beautiful ecosystem too locked down to the point that you can't be as efficient and usable, or am I looking at this in the wrong way?

One example, if I want a new ringtone on my Nexus, I go to any website from my mobile browser and download a wav or MP3 file, trim it in an app, go to my file Explorer app, then click on the new audio clip and set as my ringer. From what I understand, it's not that easy on iPhone and I have to use a computer and iTunes.... I feel like that dependency takes away my freedom and ability to do what I want, and I kind of embarrassing - especially since I have been bashing Apple for so long about this very simple process. Please convince me other...

Im ready to join the Apple Gang!

I used to be like you. Customising my phone for the better part of the day. Then I switched to iOS. I can enjoy life now. A lag free simplistic one.

tai4de2

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
No amount of people trying to satisfy your request that they talk you into an iPhone will change the fact that you will do certain things Apple's way or not at all.

The specific example you brought up is a good illustration... The only way to get files other than photos on and off the device is via iTunes, or perhaps some third-party tool that substitutes for iTunes. You will not connect your iPhone to a PC and start dragging files to and from. You will not perform file management on your iPhone -- even when connected to a PC (except for the limited exception of the camera roll).

However once you get used to this, the overall experience is smoother on iPhone in my experience than other platforms. Only you can know whether the trade-off is worth it.

Jcblack3310

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I have an Axon 7 and 7+ right now. Both platforms are amazing in their own way, but iOS is so much better in almost every aspect. I never have to turn off features on my 7+ to preserve battery, whereas my axon 7 requires some tweaking. I'll never be on just one platform so if possible, get the 7+ and have fun!

Posted via the iMore App for Android

T48

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Hey, All...

But you purchased the device that was made specifically for tweaking. The Nexus line was 90% mfg input & 10% google all with it in mind that developers can tweak things. The price point of the Nexus pending when purchased was 50-60% of what a comparable iphone plus line.

Too note. I am still on an ancient android (Galaxy S3) that has never been tweaked for anything & works great. Still on the original battery as well that lasts all day. I am on the fence of looking at iP7+ as well. But the idea that you must or have to tweak the op system on Android is wrong. The difference is that you can. We can discuss polish of apps in the each of the stores all day long, but have not had a single issue with play store apps. Though I do read the reviews prior to loading & would do the same on the app store.

Regardless, the big picture among all of the competing devices(& op systems) is going to be the artificial intelligence & assistants. Front page of imore today shows just that. So we will have Apple, Google & Samsungs purchase of Viv Labs pushing this forward.

T48

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
However, if you wish to remain irritated with Google. This should do it. Though have to note that I have not seen this posted anywhere else.

I understand that maybe the op system advancements may cause issues 3 years from now. But at the price point of the Pixel line, they need to update it until it would otherwise brick the thing.

Google has confirmed that its new Pixel phones will get Android version updates for the next two years. On its Check & update your Android version support page, the company says that the devices will get guaranteed updates until October 2018.

"Pixel phones get Android version updates for at least 2 years from when the device became available on the Google Store," Google says. "After 2 years, we can't guarantee additional updates."

Google guarantees Android version updates for its Pixel phones until 2018 - GSMArena.com news

jianrong

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
On iOS out of box you do not need to tweak anything for better performance and battery life other than turning off background refresh for app you no need to refresh. That save abit of battery life. You could just backup in full on computer iTune it make it easy to restore when you upgrade new iphone. Or you backup via iCloud and do some syncing via iTune to get back your backup.

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
I was an android user before I bought iphone 6s about 9 months ago. There are certain things in iOS that might be a little bothersome, like not being able to drag and drop files to and from the phone when connected to the computer or the fact that you can't share stuff via bluetooth like you do on android or that you can't change icons, themes, layouts, etc on the iphone(you can change the wallpaper though). But that said, if you get used to these things you will have an excellent experience using an iphone or any iOS device for that matter. Creating, editing and uploading audio, video, documents, etc. is not a problem on iphone. The built in apps are more than capable to take care of those needs. However, you can't download audio or video from 3rd party websites like the way you can on android directly to the iphone. Iphone 6s was the fastest phone the year that it came out and now iphone 7 is the fastest this year. The fact that despite not having closed any apps by swiping up via multitasking since the day I got my 6s and still have the phone perform just as fast as it was on day 1 says loads about the optimization and performance of the phone. At the time of writing this reply I have 39 apps running in multitasking and my phone does not hang, crash or slowdown whatsoever. Even the best android phones get bogged down by something like that. So far, I have had absolutely no issues with the iphone whatsoever. So I can definitely say that you will not go wrong with switching to an iphone or any other iOS device provided your unit does not have any manufacturing defects or something of that sort.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I was an android user before I bought iphone 6s about 9 months ago. There are certain things in iOS that might be a little bothersome, like not being able to drag and drop files to and from the phone when connected to the computer or the fact that you can't share stuff via bluetooth like you do on android or that you can't change icons, themes, layouts, etc on the iphone(you can change the wallpaper though). But that said, if you get used to these things you will have an excellent experience using an iphone or any iOS device for that matter. Creating, editing and uploading audio, video, documents, etc. is not a problem on iphone. The built in apps are more than capable to take care of those needs. However, you can't download audio or video from 3rd party websites like the way you can on android directly to the iphone. Iphone 6s was the fastest phone the year that it came out and now iphone 7 is the fastest this year. The fact that despite not having closed any apps by swiping up via multitasking since the day I got my 6s and still have the phone perform just as fast as it was on day 1 says loads about the optimization and performance of the phone. At the time of writing this reply I have 39 apps running in multitasking and my phone does not hang, crash or slowdown whatsoever. Even the best android phones get bogged down by something like that. So far, I have had absolutely no issues with the iphone whatsoever. So I can definitely say that you will not go wrong with switching to an iphone or any other iOS device provided your unit does not have any manufacturing defects or something of that sort.

Thanks for you input, I really appreciate it!

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, I did it.... I went to Best Buy, and they had ONE silver 256GB iPhone 7 Plus in stock. It's now mine!

I look forward to this adventure!

I love this community already!

bigBerg02

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
You can't tweak much with an iPhone. It is what it is. I guess you could jailbreak it and that gives you the freedom to tweak things. I myself love to tweak things but I actually find iPhone to be pretty close to perfect. I feel like android puts out new things quicker than apple that don't quit run right. And apple puts things out slower but they seem to run flawless and they feel crisp and complete and not feel half assed (with the exception of apple maps).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711