Ready to ditch lifelong Android usage.... For the iPhone 7 plus! Help me!

Friendzone

Banned
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm going to be a voice of disagreement here a little. Our home is a mixed bag of devices. Wife and daughter are iPhone and iPad, while I use a Nexus 6P and also just bought an iPad a couple days ago. I'm extremely pleased with both! Where I disagree is one poster's assessment of Android performance on the 6P, mainly because unlike the OP, this was the first phone I did not feel any inclination to tweak at all and one year in it's still just as smooth as new. I use it as-is just like you would with an iPhone and can happily report that it's still working just as nice as our Apple devices here. I find all of our tech purchases over the last year to be brilliant compared to previous years. After reading your post, I don't think your Nexus 6P was the issue, I think your inability to resist spending so much time tweaking it was ;)

Having said that I'll also be facing a dilemma like you when I upgrade at the end of 2017 because my choices will be either the 2017 Pixel XL or the 2017 iPhone plus. I didn't like the current Pixel either so if I don't like next year's, then I'll buy an iPhone. I won't even consider any Android phone from an OEM brand partner. I also agree with the member above who said a little homework goes a long way to find ways to do things with iOS you're used to being able to do on Android. For example yesterday I set up Safari on my iPad to sync bookmarks ongoing with my PC and Android Chrome browsers. I really only have one minor gripe with the 6P which is that I find it has a slightly weaker cellular reception than iPhones, probably uses a lower quality radio I guess. The ambient display feature is spotty too.

Friendzone

Banned
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
You're just trading one headache for another headache. I never understood why people "tweak" their phones to make it work. I've never had to "tweak" any phones I had in the past whether it was a android or iphone. It just "worked" out of the box.

You think iphone is so perfect watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yux3F6WxUw

Tech journalists and reviewers frankly are very unreliable because they're far more writers than they are techy. I don't want to get into trouble naming names but anyone here who's read the main page editorials on both Apple and Google products on the front pages of imore and android central knows the bias and sugar coating reputations certain writers have. :tongue:

badMojo69

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I own a Pixel and I am returning it. It's still an Android experience. Poor optimization and some lag is still present. The apps are horrid also, going back to Android for a few days just made me appreciate iOS that much more.

I use all 3 (IOS, Android, Windows). I don't have an issue with Android Apps.

Chargerman165

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Was a time when you could not give me an iPhone. Loved Android and fact could customize. After iOS 6 I took the plunge and went Apple not looked back since and would not buy an Android. Like you I really got tired of customizing all the time. Every time got new phone would spend a whole day downloading my apps and setting up phone. Another reason stick with iPhones they simply work and work well.

robthefive0

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Do it! I've been with Android since Droid X and I switched to iPhone 7 plus in September. I don't regret it for 1 second. I absolutely love the iPhone 7 plus, and I was an iPhone basher in the past. You won't regret it.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I was a lifelong android user and got tired of the tinkering and tweaking and just wanted something that would work and I could count on.

With that in mind, you are pretty much locked down with not much chance to modify the user experience.

Keep in mind you can buy the phone directly through Apple in their installment plan which gives you the option of divorcing your carrier if you choose. If you buy it from Verizon you are sort of stuck unless you pay the phone off in full. When you buy from Apple they contact your carrier for you and also you get Apple care included in the price of the installment plan which allows you annual upgrades.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
This is why I love jail breaking so much it gives the freedom and customization of Android but still keep what I love about iOS. Plus IMO I think the themes and tweaks to the springboard are better with a JBed iPhone versus an Android phone.

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You're just trading one headache for another headache. I never understood why people "tweak" their phones to make it work. I've never had to "tweak" any phones I had in the past whether it was a android or iphone. It just "worked" out of the box.

You think iphone is so perfect watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yux3F6WxUw

Oh my god. Can this guy be any more irritating. Besides telling me how wonderful he is, and what steak he likes, frame drop that's his major ***** point? If he cut out all the arm waving, head shaking, and redundant comments, this video could be done in five minutes instead of an hour. State the relevant points clearly, concisely, once then add a one minute editorial.

shoaib shah

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I am also a long time die hard Android user.

Thinking of switching to IPhone soon.

The only pain I see is how can I seamlessly transfer my pdf files which number in the 100's from my external memory card to the internal storage of an IPhone seamlessly without complications.

I also wish there were more toggles like turning data location power saving mode on/off like in my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

The reason I am getting tired and frustrated from Android is the lack of updates or delay in updates and no consistency in battery life after a few months.

All help appreciated ☺

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox