What is actually missed with not having a 2k screen on an iPhone 7 plus?

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm a fan of Super AMOLED displays, and am used to 2560x1440 displays on my android devices.

However, the iPhone 7 plus display, even though it's only 1080x1920, still looks absolutely beautiful to me.

Without having both devices side-by-side and nitpicking, what would really be missed?

Also, not too worried about actual ppi, since won't be using the phone for any VR applications...

Thanks!

P. S. If you can't tell, this is a cry for help from an Android fanboy.... I've been on Android since its inception, and am looking for an excuse to get a new iPhone 7 plus!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
You'll lose the ability to say you have a 2K screen.

Then you'll go back to enjoying your iPhone 7 Plus.

No excuses need. Just try one. If you enjoy it great. If you don't, then at least you tried. The screen on the 7 Plus is awesome on it's own, IMO. I encourage you to make the leap. And we will be here to answer any questions you have while doing so.

jjayr41

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I came from android as well and going from 6p to 7+. I've had a few of the phones with 2k screens as well before the 6p. Really you don't notice much going from 2k to 1080p. Besides the fact that you can't watch youtube in 4k or whatever.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I came from android as well and going from 6p to 7+. I've had a few of the phones with 2k screens as well before the 6p. Really you don't notice much going from 2k to 1080p. Besides the fact that you can't watch youtube in 4k or whatever.

Yep, I'm using a Nexus 6p at the moment as well - best phone I've ever used, thus far.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
You'll lose the ability to say you have a 2K screen.

Then you'll go back to enjoying your iPhone 7 Plus.

No excuses need. Just try one. If you enjoy it great. If you don't, then at least you tried. The screen on the 7 Plus is awesome on it's own, IMO. I encourage you to make the leap. And we will be here to answer any questions you have while doing so.

Thanks!! Here's to hoping!

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Well I've had the galaxy s7 edge and now the 7 plus. To me the screen is as beautiful on this one as it was on the Samsung. Could even say that wider colour range or whatever the name was pushes this screen past the s7e.
Android phone makers has to compete with numbers because they wouldn't sell as easily otherwise.
Go for it, you won't regret I think

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I miss the blacks on AMOLED+ displays. To get the crispness right on a 5.5" + SuperAMOLED panel needs 2560x1440. I can't wait until they are 4096x2160. :D I have 20/15 vision and code on a 15" 3840x2160 laptop at 100% as well. Sitting at someone's desk with a 27" 1920x1080 display makes my eyes hurt instantly.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
As someone mentioned, you'll lose the "true black" of the AMOLED display. The loss of the resolution is not that big, considering that you have a PenTile matrix display on the AMOLED displays, which means each pixel only has two sub-pixels (either a green and then either a red or blue) compared to having all three sub-pixels on an LCD display.

iamdld

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I didn't notice much of a difference coming from the Nexus 6p. The blacks were better but the 7+ screen is good and gets much brighter than the 6p.

If were comparing to an S7 edge or the Note 7 though, the 7+ screen isn't as bright or vibrant but it is still very good and I didn't have an issue with it.

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I didn't come from android so probably no help here, but I will say that I noticed a huge difference in the screen quality almost right away. It's more noticeable with pictures full of bright colors.

Jinal_JCS

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
As already said...you might miss the blacks and vividness but it'll go away as you use it over few days. With increased colour gamut, you'll enjoy iPhone 7 screen as much as any high end Android phone.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, I did it.... I went to Best Buy, and they had ONE silver 256GB iPhone 7 Plus in stock. It's now mine!

I look forward to this adventure!

I love this community already!

Savoy

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Just to add I went and exchanged my 2nd perfectly running and awesome Note 7 at the Sprint store on tuesday morning and picked up the Iphone 7 plus 256gig in jet black. Overall I'm getting used to it and some things I miss from android/samsung but this is a great device as well in it's own way. I've been with android since the G1 back when I was with Tmobile so this is a pretty big change but my kids have Iphones and like all kids love apple/ios ecosystem so it's not completely foreign to me. I do miss the vibrancy of the super amoled display on samesung devices but this is a great display in it's own right as well. I do not miss the resolution difference at all since this is super sharp and crisp as well.

I can't help but still feel bad about having to give back that awesome device though. I really did not want to give it up since I loved it. That said I really like this IP7plus and it's growing on me little by little. To be honest if samsung would have offered us Note 7 owners say 300.00 or so off the new Note 8 next year I would have probably just gotten an S7edge for now but I really didn't like that phone and it wasn't a real N7 replacement so I decided to go a completely different route and give apple a shot and overall I'm glad I did.

Now next year when apple releases their new beast 10th anniversary amoled, higher resolution new phones I'm gonna have a hard time deciding between that or a note 8. Ehh I'll figure it out next fall. For now this IP7 is a very nice device and I love the beastly soc the fusion A10 is.

Forgot to mention the battery on this device is fan-freaking-tastic. I mean seriously this phone sips power whether using it hard or just browsing websites/forums or idle. I'm very happy with the battery life and when needed the SOC kicks in hard core and really is a beast. :)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Given that I have owned many Android phone and iPhones I can tell the difference between the "retina" 1080p and a 2k OLED Display. That said is it worth the processing power to push those extra pixels around, not really, and it also uses more power to run that display regardless of OLED or not.

However Apple's biggest failure every year is their quest to make the iPhone thinner (no one is asking for hit) instead of reusing space to add battery capacity. I would like a 2500+mAh battery instead of a 1950mAh battery.

iPhones do explode as well, but the issues I feel could be directed more at the rapid charging that so many users want given almost every phone now is a sealed battery. I don't find myself wall hugging for a battery, at work I plug in, in the car I'm plugged in, if I am at home I can plug in. I have the USB-C charger kit from Apple and that does the trick.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
There isn't that much of a difference in such a small screen. I have the plus and s7 edge so personally not a big difference.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I went from a Nexus 6P to the 7Plus and I cannot notice a difference. I have been saying for a long time, 1080P is plenty for what you can see. You can't tell a difference between 1080 and 2k from normal viewing distance.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Those who pay for the 2k display usually are the ones who claims it is so much better

That's also true. I only went with 2k because that is what was offered for the Nexus 6P.

I have said it before I would like to see a 1080 screen back to Android but that won't happen. It will cut down heat from processing power and better battery life. But on a premium device.

jayzero76

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
no you don't have a iPhone 7 plus and a galaxy s7 edge. i had the S7 edge before and i had to give it to my wife and bought a iPhone for work.

galaxy S7 edge screen looks so much better. in everything it looks so much better. i also found the battery life on the edge way better maybe gives me one more hour.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh