Getting Over The "Bigness"

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
The iPhone 7 Plus is a big phone. Of course, the Plus versions have always been big phones. In fact, the #1 thing that kept me away from the Plus version for the last two years has been the size...and this year, I decided to jump into the Plus deepend with only a few days left of my 14-day return window...so that there was virtually no turning back. At first I was a tad hesitant...but to my shock, and suprise...I have gotten used to the "bigness" of the Plus vs. the regular 7 I came from...and I can't see going back to a smaller phone now, even if I could.

How about you?

Are there those, like me who have tentatively chosen the Plus this year after refusing to use such a big phone in the past...and have been suprised at how well they have adapted, and now embrace the added screen size and enhanced iPhone experience?

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I will preface this by saying that I got banned from another board for saying "I like them big".
I swore up and down that I was talking about phones but the admins there must have been somewhat repressed naturally lol.

So the size: it's perfect.
I wear baggy cargo pants with huge pockets, my purse is a backpack and I don't even need my reading glasses with this thing.

My clumsy texts have become flawless, zero typos anymore.

I could never go back down in size, I hate squinting and tiny keyboards just don't do it for me.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I will preface this by saying that I got banned from another board for saying "I like them big".
I swore up and down that I was talking about phones but the admins there must have been somewhat repressed naturally lol.

So the size: it's perfect.
I wear baggy cargo pants with huge pockets, my purse is a backpack and I don't even need my reading glasses with this thing.

My clumsy texts have become flawless, zero typos anymore.

I could never go back down in size, I hate squinting and tiny keyboards just don't do it for me.

Well, I refuse to post the first comment that sprung into my mind when I read you opening sentence...:rotfl:

I wear dress slacks at my job 75% of the time, and a suit the other 25%...and I was very concerned about how I thought it looked like I was packing an iPad Pro in my pocket when I got my 6s Plus...so I went back to the smaller phone purely from that viewpoint. But, that's not even the issue I thought it would be. The additional weight of the Plus is more a distraction than the size, actually. But that's not even a major issue.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I can't find a single thing to complain about with this one: I don't mind the weight, I love the size and everything else that comes with the phone lol. My friends who work in a corporate environment and must dress the part all seem happy to put the phone in a blazer pocket for example.

Or there's my other friend who decided that an iPhone 7 Plus DEMANDS a brand new, appropriately sized Herm?s bag... I believe her bank account developed PTSD from that shopping spree lol.

I'm glad you like your phone, it's a gem!

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Getting Over The "Bigness"

Well since Evilguppy got in trouble, I'll refrain from posting my original thought when I read the comment! LOL

My first big phone was the 6s plus. I was adamant on not getting a bigger phone. I loved the smaller form factor. I upgraded to the 6 from the 5s and still thought that was too big until I saw everyone around me getting the plus. I was a little jealous. When I got the 6s plus it only took me a few days to get used to it. I can't imagine going smaller now.

Breuklen

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Well I was concerned about it being too big like you. But with my worsening eyesight and email being a big part of my work day, I think the 7+ will be alright. I tried about demo phones in-person and think in the long run it'll be perfect for my needs.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Right, so I've been all over the place. I'll start by saying my first iPhone was an iPhone 4, which was upgraded to the iPhone 5 and I loved the larger screen. The 5s was the last time I skipped an upgrade, I went from my 5 to a 6 Plus, and it was massive, then I was used to it. Loved it, moved to a 6s Plus. Then I got the bright idea to switch to the seemingly tiny 6s to better fit my hands. It did. Gone was my screen size and battery life though, which far outweighed the pros to the smaller iPhone, by this time the Plus once again felt massive. Now I'm used to my 7 Plus again and loving every minute of it, as well as once again, the 7 feels tiny in comparison. It's really all a matter of what side of the fence you're on, give it a week or two tops and you'll be used to it. I'll just never sacrifice my screen reality and battery life again.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Well this was the first time I went to the Plus. I've had it for 2 ? weeks now and am finally settling in to the larger phone. I had to go with the Plus size as age has made the eyes a little worse and the big screen is a blessing. Don't mind the weight at all. I wear a jacket most of the year where I am located so always have a pocket to fit it into. I like the phone and don't believe I could go back now.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've owned a 6 Plus, 6s Plus, and now 7 Plus and will not be going back to a smaller device in the foreseeable future. When I first got my 6 Plus it seemed huge at first but after a week or so I got used to it. The 5.5" form factor is perfect for me and anything smaller seems tiny and unmanageable.

I think you made a good choice. You'll get used to the larger size and you'll appreciate the extra screen real estate.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have used my 7 Plus with a Tech21 Evo Gem from the day I got the phone and have to say it started bothering me how big the phone was in my hand. I replaced the Tech21 with the Apple Silicone Case and have to say it is a much better fit now in my hands.

Coming from a 5S with only having used an iPhone 6 for a brief period I have to say the size of the Plus is really not inconvenient at all. I love it.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
More & more I'm noticing benefits of the larger device/screen size. Yes, it's a bit harder to insert & wrestle out of my pocket...especially with the Apple Silicone case that's on it now (leather case is in the mail, thankfully)...but I'm not nearly as conscious of the added mass in my pocket as I was, and I am getting better with one-handed use every day. I'm happy with the choice.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 7 Plus is a big phone. Of course, the Plus versions have always been big phones. In fact, the #1 thing that kept me away from the Plus version for the last two years has been the size...and this year, I decided to jump into the Plus deepend with only a few days left of my 14-day return window...so that there was virtually no turning back. At first I was a tad hesitant...but to my shock, and suprise...I have gotten used to the "bigness" of the Plus vs. the regular 7 I came from...and I can't see going back to a smaller phone now, even if I could.

How about you?

Are there those, like me who have tentatively chosen the Plus this year after refusing to use such a big phone in the past...and have been suprised at how well they have adapted, and now embrace the added screen size and enhanced iPhone experience?

I'm in the same boat. I resisted the Plus devices for two years because I loved the size of the 6/6S. And I still do. Honestly, the size isn't why I love my Plus. The battery is out of this world! If I could get that battery life out of the 7, I'd probably switch back down. (Oh and the camera)

I don't regret my purchase by any means. But there are times where the Plus is simply uncomfortable to use.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
At first the 7 Plus felt big but now after using on for like three weeks the phone kinda feels small in my hands now ha. But maybe that's just me since I have large hands.

miumui

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Actually, Plus size was the reason I'm on the Apple bandwagon.. I used to only use Android because they were the only ones that made big phones. So I was stoked when the 6 plus came out! It's a good size. Glad it's here to stay!!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
More & more I'm noticing benefits of the larger device/screen size. Yes, it's a bit harder to insert & wrestle out of my pocket...especially with the Apple Silicone case that's on it now (leather case is in the mail, thankfully)...but I'm not nearly as conscious of the added mass in my pocket as I was, and I am getting better with one-handed use every day. I'm happy with the choice.

Reachability is your friend, especially on the "Plus" phones. Once I trained myself to remember it's there I started using it all of the time.

dstrauss

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
In the 7 Plus camp all the way, but I would still kill for an all screen 5.5" device (no bezels - that would be a dream device). That would obviously reduce battery some, but think of an iPhone 5 (well, it would be about 8mm wider but same height) that is all screen...come on Sir Ive, YOU CAN DO IT!

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
In the 7 Plus camp all the way, but I would still kill for an all screen 5.5" device (no bezels - that would be a dream device). That would obviously reduce battery some, but think of an iPhone 5 (well, it would be about 8mm wider but same height) that is all screen...come on Sir Ive, YOU CAN DO IT!

Next years iphone 7S or iphone 8 will most likely have a redesign with trimmed bezel and stuff.

donkiluminate

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I had a 6S Plus and then a Galaxy S7 Edge and now a 7 Plus. I got used to it and now whenever I pick up my wife's regular 7 the first thought to come to mind is "oh look at the cute little baby phone"

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

Eep, I was planning on getting an Apple silicone case as well. Is it really that tacky that it's difficult to take out of pants pockets? If so I might as well get another leather case (I have one on my 6s+).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods