Life Long Android switch to iPhone - Few questions

HardHitter#AC

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Hello All,

I was originally an iPhone owner when the very first iPhone came out then switched to Android once the OS was introduced and have been with Android ever since.

Fast forward to today and I am in a dire need of a new phone. Typically I get a new phone every year, but I've been staying strong with my Note 3 (yes, a 2013 phone).

I was going to get the Note 7 but obviously, I won't be able to get one now so I've thought about switching to a iPhone 7 Plus because of two primary reasons:

1. Android is all about customization, but I've begun to not want to customize and just "use the phone" for what it is.
2. My work only allows iOS to sync with our work calendar/emails/contacts etc. With Android, I have to use a 3rd party app (Good for Enterprise) which is horrible. iPhone will allow me to seamlessly integrate my work email/calendar/contacts

Now with that out of the way, I had a few questions before I make the jump

1. If I use the iPhone upgrade program, does it ship with a SIM card already? My Note 3 is a micro SIM and I believe the Note 7 takes a nano
2. Are you able to tether your iPhone without using the carrier hotspot app and without jailbreaking (Firm won't allow company e-mail on jailbroken iPhone). For example, I can use my Note 3 as a wifi hotspot for my laptop in the times where there is no wifi available.

Anything else you guys can give me a heads up on would be appreciated!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re sims... Depends on what you're buying... if direct from Apple, and buying sim-free - you'd need to see your carrier for a sim...if buying from Apple specifically for your carrier, or from your carrier, it will come with the sim needed.

Re tethering: the iPhone will connect to your Note3 as a wifi hotspot fine, or... If need be, the iPhone can function fine as a wifi hotspot for your laptop without jailbreak and your work's iPhone service plan permits it.

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
You can download the app which transfers data from your Android device to the new iPhone. It's handy.
I did as well transfer from Android to IOS because this OS/ phone just works.
Welcome!

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
here in canada we don't have the iPhone upgrade program yet but in general you can walk into an apple store and ask for a sim card and they give it to you for free. they have them in stock for the 3 major carriers over here.

again, might be different here in Canada but carriers have nothing to do with tethering. you use the settings in in iPhone and its super easy. settings, cellular, personal hotspot. no jailbreaking needed and super simple. might need to check your data plan to see if they charge extra for tethering.

Darryl Hill

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
again, might be different here in Canada but carriers have nothing to do with tethering. you use the settings in in iPhone and its super easy. settings, cellular, personal hotspot. no jailbreaking needed and super simple. might need to check your data plan to see if they charge extra for tethering.

Speaking from experience here, US carriers can disable tethering and make you pay for it. I was down there and using an H2O SIM (an AT&T reseller), and was unable to use my hotspot.

LDYNREDD

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
here in canada we don't have the iPhone upgrade program yet but in general you can walk into an apple store and ask for a sim card and they give it to you for free. they have them in stock for the 3 major carriers over here.

That's a great tip I was going to go to Rogers to get the SIM card and figured I would have to pay for it.

When you are ready to activate the sim, just call the carrier?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello All,

I was originally an iPhone owner when the very first iPhone came out then switched to Android once the OS was introduced and have been with Android ever since.

Fast forward to today and I am in a dire need of a new phone. Typically I get a new phone every year, but I've been staying strong with my Note 3 (yes, a 2013 phone).

I was going to get the Note 7 but obviously, I won't be able to get one now so I've thought about switching to a iPhone 7 Plus because of two primary reasons:

1. Android is all about customization, but I've begun to not want to customize and just "use the phone" for what it is.
2. My work only allows iOS to sync with our work calendar/emails/contacts etc. With Android, I have to use a 3rd party app (Good for Enterprise) which is horrible. iPhone will allow me to seamlessly integrate my work email/calendar/contacts

Now with that out of the way, I had a few questions before I make the jump

1. If I use the iPhone upgrade program, does it ship with a SIM card already? My Note 3 is a micro SIM and I believe the Note 7 takes a nano
2. Are you able to tether your iPhone without using the carrier hotspot app and without jailbreaking (Firm won't allow company e-mail on jailbroken iPhone). For example, I can use my Note 3 as a wifi hotspot for my laptop in the times where there is no wifi available.

Anything else you guys can give me a heads up on would be appreciated!

1. Make sure the iPhone you order (through whatever method) is unlocked. I believe the iPhone 7 takes a nano-SIM. Your carrier should be able to provide one, but much easier is to get your current SIM cut to size - the only difference is the size of the plastic around the chip. Drop into an Apple store or a store for your carrier and they should be able to cut it for you in a few seconds. You can also buy the cutter yourself for a few euros from Amazon, or even cut with scissors if you're brave (at your own risk! :) ) - google for instructions.
In the future, if you want to move back to a micro-Sim device, you can buy an adapter.
2. I can't help you with, unfortunately.

A word of warning about the iPhone mail client. For me it's pretty slow and unreliable these days, and crashes quite frequently. Android's mail client is much better, so it's a shame you can't use that. Are there any good third party e-mail clients available for iOS?

And a comment about Android customisation - yes Android allows more customisation than iOS, but it's not compulsory to use it. You are allowed to stick with the defaults if you prefer, so the fact that Android allows customisation is not a good reason to drop it. Personally I use both iOS and Android, and don't customise either beyond changing the wallpapers and ringtones.
Anyway I'm not trying to change your mind, just making an observation. The fact your company only supports iOS is good reason to go with it.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Wi-Fi hotspot works fine so long as your plan allows for hotspot. No need for third party app. Note that it is only 2.4ghz wifi hotspot. Most newer androids support 5ghz hotspot

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Do note that when hotspot on, for the connection to work at your other device the iPhone has to have screen on. When your other device finds your hotspot and connects, after that you can turn the screen off on iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2