Water Resistance - Cracked Screen

konjis1

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok...so it happened already! :crying::crying::crying:

So sitting at a restaurant in Destin, FL, and my phone slips out of my pocket (had on gym shorts) and it hits the concrete ground (we were eating outside). 2.5 feet high fall...maybe 3 at the most, and i did not have a case on it. Pick it up and it has 3 places on the front (bottom left corner, top left corner, and bottom right corner) where there are hairline cracks in the screen. I have insurance through AT&T and i submitted a claim and i think my deductible will be $225 (UGH!!!).

My question is, do you think this has ruined the integrity of the water resistance of the phone?

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok...so it happened already! :crying::crying::crying:

So sitting at a restaurant in Destin, FL, and my phone slips out of my pocket (had on gym shorts) and it hits the concrete ground (we were eating outside). 2.5 feet high fall...maybe 3 at the most, and i did not have a case on it. Pick it up and it has 3 places on the front (bottom left corner, top left corner, and bottom right corner) where there are hairline cracks in the screen. I have insurance through AT&T and i submitted a claim and i think my deductible will be $225 (UGH!!!).

My question is, do you think this has ruined the integrity of the water resistance of the phone?

Possibly but I doubt it. That's a pretty good strength of glass to just crack and not shatter. I wouldn't drop it in a pool and expect it to work now but the cracks should be put standing water.

Also to you normally keep your phones naked? I wear gym shorts all the time and always fear of my phone falling out but I keep cases on them with tempered glass protectors

konjis1

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Possibly but I doubt it. That's a pretty good strength of glass to just crack and not shatter. I wouldn't drop it in a pool and expect it to work now but the cracks should be put standing water.

Also to you normally keep your phones naked? I wear gym shorts all the time and always fear of my phone falling out but I keep cases on them with tempered glass protectors

Nope...normally i have a case on it, but so happens i took it off prior to going to the restaurant. Thanks for your insight....just a little bummed right now! Ugh!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Nope...normally i have a case on it, but so happens i took it off prior to going to the restaurant. Thanks for your insight....just a little bummed right now! Ugh!

I feel so bad for you!!! :concern: I would also put a case and screen protector on it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
This hurts my heart. I threw my phone in the tempered glass and a case immediately.

I'd also check with Apple. Although you don't have AppleCare+, I'm pretty sure the cost to repair your phone is only $149 if it is ONLY the screen. That way you won't waste a claim and you'll save money. I personally went with AppleCare+. $29 for a screen repair is awesome.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/screen-damage

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This hurts my heart. I threw my phone in the tempered glass and a case immediately.

I'd also check with Apple. Although you don't have AppleCare+, I'm pretty sure the cost to repair your phone is only $149 if it is ONLY the screen. That way you won't waste a claim and you'll save money. I personally went with AppleCare+. $29 for a screen repair is awesome.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/screen-damage

Definitely good food for thought. Isn't there a period of time after you purchase a new phone that you can add AppleCare?

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Add AppleCare+ or go to Apple and fix the screen. It's ~$150 for either phone, and you can keep your NEW phone and not get some reman one for $225. GL

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Add AppleCare+ or go to Apple and fix the screen. It's ~$150 for either phone, and you can keep your NEW phone and not get some reman one for $225. GL

If you add AppleCare+, I think they ask you to go to Apple Store... they inspect the phone to be sure it isn't already busted...

konjis1

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Again thank you all for all of your insight! I just scheduled an appointment for this Saturday at our local Apple store. It will be $149 for repair and they will do it in the store. :big-hug:

dralex87

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I would try taking it to an Apple Store first. My girlfriend did the same to her 6 and they fixed it for free. They said since it wasn't shattered and only hairline cracks that it was covered under warranty.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR