Underwhelmed but not disappointed.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
The iPhone 7 offers more than what the pre release rumors were saying. So, you should have known what you were getting. There was plenty of discussion on the rumors. We knew it wasn't to be loaded with new hardware. The biggie this year was iOS 10.

I knew exactly what I was getting, and I still feel underwhelmed by what I have. We've seen similar linear "updates" over the years, but this one feels exceptionally lack luster (again, in my opinion). I usually feel really good with the new devices, and tend to totally forget the outgoing model that the new one replaces. This time, my 6S Plus could easily go back in my pocket and I wouldn't miss anything except the waterproofing on this new device to be honest.

At the end of the day, having a full spread of what is coming on a device shouldn't negate a person's overall opinion on experience. I knew what I was getting into before I bought it, and I don't feel it was a great or terrible investment, just a linear, neutral switch over really.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm so torn, I want a black face but can't decide if the 7+ is worth the upgrade.

The 7 Plus is worth the upgrade. It is quicker than the previous Plus, just a little. The camera alone is worth the upgrade. I have really come to appreciate the haptic home button as well. And the black phones are pretty sweet. I have the jet black and was positive I was going to go gold this time around for a change as I have always had a black face. But the black phones were so nice looking I had to stay with it.

jianrong

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
7 Plus is worth the upgrade. I had the 6 Plus then S7 Edge. Miss iOS and this Jet Black look hot and I'm back 128GB.

The camera is good enough though S7 Edge win it by alittle...

IMO think 7 Plus performance is smoother than S7 Edge. Is a nice upgrade too.

torbach1

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
I returned my Note 7 Monday and got the 6S Plus 128GB because the 7 Plus is not easy to find and I don't currently have a spare phone to use. Based on what I'm reading here, I think I'll hold on the 6S Plus. With 128GB at a far lower price, I think it's probably good enough. It certainly is very quick.

I wish I could get the better camera, but on the other hand I really want the 3.5mm headphone jack for my Bose QC25 and don't feel like carrying around a separate dongle for that. Hopefully this is the right decision. I don't know what else I'm missing really by not getting the 7 Plus.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
The 7 Plus is worth the upgrade. It is quicker than the previous Plus, just a little. The camera alone is worth the upgrade. I have really come to appreciate the haptic home button as well. And the black phones are pretty sweet. I have the jet black and was positive I was going to go gold this time around for a change as I have always had a black face. But the black phones were so nice looking I had to stay with it.

Of course I'm not going to argue opinions as we all have different perspectives and preferences, and we are all impressed by different levels of experience. To me though, this camera on the 7 Plus hasn't really shown me anything truly impressive. It takes great pictures, but so did my 6S Plus. So far, I've personally not found this value that so many have with the camera, and I've used it A LOT (I've taken about 600 photos with it so far of varying styles and environments).

And to add insult to injury, my iPhone seems to have some kind of bug where the screen becomes unresponsive about 1-2 times every couple of days.

I've seriously considered throwing it on eBay and making some money and hoping next year brings me something I'm truly impressed with again.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Of course I'm not going to argue opinions as we all have different perspectives and preferences, and we are all impressed by different levels of experience. To me though, this camera on the 7 Plus hasn't really shown me anything truly impressive. It takes great pictures, but so did my 6S Plus. So far, I've personally not found this value that so many have with the camera, and I've used it A LOT (I've taken about 600 photos with it so far of varying styles and environments).

And to add insult to injury, my iPhone seems to have some kind of bug where the screen becomes unresponsive about 1-2 times every couple of days.

I've seriously considered throwing it on eBay and making some money and hoping next year brings me something I'm truly impressed with again.

Hey no problem, I get that we have different opinions and I respect that. Obviously we have had different experiences with our phones. I would probably feel the same way if I was having issues. I guess I have been fortunate. I have done some very nice videos & pictures with my phone and am impressed with the quality for a phone camera. But it is not my only option, I have a video camera & DSLR should I require high end videos or images to work with. But I fully understand your point of view. Thanks!

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

$800+ to upgrade a smartphone camera sounds like a great investment...

The 7 cameras aren't better enough to warrant spending that kind of money.

I'd totally keep the 6S Plus and buy a DSLR or Mirrorless Compact camera if having a good camera meant that much, though...

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

I ended up placing an order, maybe I'll be able to pick one up in store for a black 256 but we'll see when I get it

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

I'd totally keep the 6S Plus and buy a DSLR or Mirrorless Compact camera if having a good camera meant that much, though...

I own a DSLR camera & video recorder. But having to carry around a big camera bag is not always convenient. They have their time and place. But it is nice to have a phone that can take a decent shot and fits in my pocket. The camera is not the only reason I went with the 7 Plus. There are other features that I wanted, like new processor, larger storage, water & dust resistance, no headphone jack and so on.

I ended up placing an order, maybe I'll be able to pick one up in store for a black 256 but we'll see when I get it

Nice. I have been enjoying mine. Give it a decent run through, which I'm sure you will. I know it isn't for everyone and many are not upgrading, but the 7 has been really optimized to run iOS 10, plus the added features that will be coming soon.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read, 6s to a 7 isn't really that big of an upgrade. Unless you just have to have a faster phone with a better camera. Now me, I'm going from a 5s to a 7 so it will be the best thing EVER lol.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
From what I've read, 6s to a 7 isn't really that big of an upgrade. Unless you just have to have a faster phone with a better camera. Now me, I'm going from a 5s to a 7 so it will be the best thing EVER lol.

There are a few others. None are game changers by themselves but, collectively, it is a fair amount of improvement. It has the better haptics, the new home "button," waterproofing, better radios, better battery life (partially because of the processor). You mentioned the camera and faster processor. Of course, the "drawback" (at least for some people) is the lack of headphone jack -- which allows for the better haptics and larger battery.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site

lol! You have to love someone who likes to assess worth and value on other people's investments in this nature. What a joke.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I own a DSLR camera & video recorder. But having to carry around a big camera bag is not always convenient. They have their time and place. But it is nice to have a phone that can take a decent shot and fits in my pocket. The camera is not the only reason I went with the 7 Plus. There are other features that I wanted, like new processor, larger storage, water & dust resistance, no headphone jack and so on.
I cannot really empathize because I don't think:

DSC-RX100 III Compact Digital Camera | Cyber-shot Pocket Camera | Sony US

Is inconvenient to carry around.

I don't think an upgraded smartphone camera is worth $900+, which is basically what was stated (it's worth it just for the upgraded camera). I just don't see how such a thing could be logically explained other than "I'm spending the money because I want to," which is perfectly valid BTW. I mean, part of the reason why people ask these questions (is it worth the upgrade) is to fish out reasons to spend money on things they sort of think aren't really worth what is being asked :p

It's still no logical justification which indicates that the camera upgrade even approaches $900 in value.

It just doesn't.

A good compact camera will blow a phone away in both Photography and Videography. You don't need two extra devices, only one compact, extremely portable camera which delivers results well worth the investment.

Everyone is still free to spend their money as they wish. I don't work their job for them ;-)

nikkimd11

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I got my 7 Plus on release day. It's always fun to get a shiny new toy, and I was excited to unwrap it and set it up. It set up flawlessly, and dropped me right back into my comfort zone with iOS 10 and a reliable smart phone. Camera takes great pictures, stereo speaker is definitely an improvement, and it does feel snappier than my out going 6S Plus.

But honestly, I could have lived with my previous phone for another year and I wouldn't have been missing anything I desperately want or need from this new device. Nothing has charmed me or blown my socks off really. Its just a really efficient, well running iPhone, which is exactly what my 6S Plus was as well.

No hating on it, its a lovely device and it works as good or better than I expect iPhone's to year in and year out. Unfortunately I'm actually starting to FEEL that statement now. Year in...Year out. I don't feel like anything screams to me as worthy of the "upgrade" really, its just another great iPhone.

I hate to do this because it's almost always a sure fire way to get disappointed within your own fantasy, but I really REALLY hope the next generation is a big enhancement both visually and technologically. Right now I feel like I bought an iPhone 6S Plus S and could take it or leave it.

I agree, if you are coming from the 6s/6s+,it's not worth the upgrade. I am a big apple fan and would love to have all their new products when released but I am realistic and I don't need the new phone when mine (6s) is very similar. I tend to keep my phones for about 2 years before upgrading. I really hope that for next year apple finally brings a game changing phone for its anniversary.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Love that 256gb storage. Love the home button. Love the water resistance. Love the matte black. I upgraded from a 6s to the 7 and I feel it was a major upgrade. Obviously you don't agree, but I am very happy with my 7. That said I probably would not have upgraded if it wasn't for the 256gb storage.

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
There are a few others. None are game changers by themselves but, collectively, it is a fair amount of improvement. It has the better haptics, the new home "button," waterproofing, better radios, better battery life (partially because of the processor). You mentioned the camera and faster processor. Of course, the "drawback" (at least for some people) is the lack of headphone jack -- which allows for the better haptics and larger battery.

Oh don't get me wrong, if I had a 6s on the upgrade program I would definitely still upgrade. I was just mentioning those 2 major improvements as that is what most people see it as compared to a 6s.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen