The Headphone Jack and the Absence Of...

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Just saw this and it's definitely an interesting view on the reasons behind the removal of the headphone jack from the latest iPhone devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTSN4zWeQ0

Honestly, there isn't anything wrong with making the decisions that Apple's made, even if it is about royalties and cost-cutting, but it led me to think on what direction Apple's heading in for next year's update.

Furthermore, one statement stuck the most from Jerry's video: Apple is pushing wireless but they didn't introduce wireless charging into the iPhone 7/Plus most likely to avoid having to pay royalties for the technology. Do you think we'll see wireless charging come to the iPhone?

Just thought I'd post here and see what you think and how life without the headphone jack is treating you, especially if you're a heavy user who loves to use custom headphones (wired) at the gym or on the run, etc.

Best Regards,
Salman Khalid.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
In retrospect, Apple may have been better off shipping lightning earbuds about two generations ago.

I use the dongle on my primary set of earphones. I'm relying on myself to remember to switch the dongle to my noise cancellers when I travel.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't really bother me that they got rid of it since there is a method of still connecting my nice earbuds to the phone. I don't think I've ever needed to listen to stuff while charging at the same time so that's not a concern for me. I've heard that the DAC built into the dongle isn't very good, but I know 3rd party audio companies will be pushed to working on solutions for this so I see it as a minor inconvenience for the time being. Although, that's because I was hoping to eventually get a portable DAC or DAC/amp combo anyway at some point even before the headphone jack disappeared.

msalmank

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't really bother me that they got rid of it since there is a method of still connecting my nice earbuds to the phone. I don't think I've ever needed to listen to stuff while charging at the same time so that's not a concern for me. I've heard that the DAC built into the dongle isn't very good, but I know 3rd party audio companies will be pushed to working on solutions for this so I see it as a minor inconvenience for the time being. Although, that's because I was hoping to eventually get a portable DAC or DAC/amp combo anyway at some point even before the headphone jack disappeared.

Interesting...! Will have to wait and see how others push forward with that and come up with accessories for us audiophiles.

I do usually end up charging and listening/watching something at the same time with headphones. I'll probably get one of those splitters by Belkin (i believe) once I get the 7.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods