The age old question, screen protector or not?

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Not this time around (so far...)

I have used screen protectors on every iOS device I have owned... until now... I am using my 7 (I know this is a 7+ thread) in an Apple case with no screen protection. I have to believe by now Apple has perfected the screen technology and strength and I see enough friends in these forums (and out in the real world) who do not put a screen protector on and the screen looks perfect.

dpham00

Trusted Member
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Not this time around (so far...)

I have used screen protectors on every iOS device I have owned... until now... I am using my 7 (I know this is a 7+ thread) in an Apple case with no screen protection. I have to believe by now Apple has perfected the screen technology and strength and I see enough friends in these forums (and out in the real world) who do not put a screen protector on and the screen looks perfect.

Diamond,titanium,and sand can still scratch the screen.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I've always used them, but when I ordered my 7Plus I thought I'd take it off my 6S Plus for a while just to see how it felt. Even with nice glass screen protectors the screen looks and feels so much better naked, and also has less glare on the screen.

So the question is, are they needed anymore? I realize that with drops it is always helpful, but are they needed to prevent just light scratching? I'd prefer not to use one with the 7Plus and am curious if people are using them or not.

if the device has gorilla glass 4 or better i don't think a screen protector is needed. However, there is nothing wrong with adding that little bit of protection just to give you piece of mind that your device will definitely be fine.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I slapped a Zagg tempered glass screen protector early on when I got my 6s+. It held up very well, and was nearly invisible. Then a freak thing happened. I was at Applebees and the waiter dropped two full glasses of water as he was grabbing dishes from my gf. It was an honest accident. The dishes were stacked and he was trying to grab them the best he could and he just lost track of what his hand holding the tray with the water glasses was doing. One glass fell on me, the other fell right on my 6s+. The screen protector was damaged at the point of impact, but the glass underneath completely spiderwebbed across the whole screen. It was the craziest thing. In that instance, the screen protector did no good, and it was really the only time my screen had suffered any kind of trauma. I think when I get my 7+ I'll go without a protector. Plus it's a hassle to get them put on correctly!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I always use one and I'm absolutely using one this year. I went with the biggest and largest. That's a $970 investment. Seems silly not to spend $3 to protect it from scratches. I like my devices in great condition and I'd rather not risk scratches in any form. Not to mention, if I want to sell it down the line I want the value as high as possible.

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I slapped a Zagg tempered glass screen protector early on when I got my 6s+. It held up very well, and was nearly invisible. Then a freak thing happened. I was at Applebees and the waiter dropped two full glasses of water as he was grabbing dishes from my gf. It was an honest accident. The dishes were stacked and he was trying to grab them the best he could and he just lost track of what his hand holding the tray with the water glasses was doing. One glass fell on me, the other fell right on my 6s+. The screen protector was damaged at the point of impact, but the glass underneath completely spiderwebbed across the whole screen. It was the craziest thing. In that instance, the screen protector did no good, and it was really the only time my screen had suffered any kind of trauma. I think when I get my 7+ I'll go without a protector. Plus it's a hassle to get them put on correctly!

So Applebees fixed your phone? Or did you at least get a free 2 for $20??

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I used skins for my earlier phones, including a screen protector. Had some trouble with it on my iPhone 4 so went without. Got my 5 and went without but 2 weeks in I got a scratch on the screen. I was careful and nothing shared the pocket. Something may have been in there (dirt, who knows) so since then I always use one. Not glass as the curved edges mean it's too far from the edge. But the crystal kind work great for me

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
So Applebees fixed your phone? Or did you at least get a free 2 for $20??

They paid for my insurance replacement. I went home and submitted the insurance claim for $175. I went back to Applebees and showed them a screenshot of my credit card account which showed the $175 payment to insurance. The Applebees manager went back and brought out $175 in cash. I just hope it didn't come out of the waiter kid's pay. He was super apologetic and he felt REALLY bad about what he had done.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Funny thing is I never used one on any device but just ordered one for me and my GF.

The 9H Tempered Glass because it's color coded to our phones. Hope we like them or there coming off quick

Hoggles

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector and never had even a micro scratch on my displays with Gorilla Glass or Apple's glass.

Even the most clear protector, still looks horrible compared to a naked display. Defeats the whole purpose of a quality display.

I do use a case though. And my phones have always had their own pocket, with display side always toward my leg.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice