Huge fail for the 7+

Jcblack3310

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm not trying to complain but Apple did a terrible job with inventory on the 7+. 5 att stores in my area received zero 7+. Best buy didn't even have any shipped to them either. I'll never understand why apple does this to us, the customers. They know which colors will sell out (both black phones) and which ones won't as quickly (rose gold/silver).

Due to their **** poor planning, nobody is getting anything. But there were plenty of iPhone 7s that I could get but cmon, everyone knows the 7+ is the better of the two!

UPDATE: Walked into Sam's Club today and was surprised because the rep said the had a 32 iPhone 7+ in matte black. I'm fortunate enough that I was able to get it. So far, so good...except this thing takes FOREVER to charge.

I wasn't trying to create a big sniff, just merely saying Apple needs to do a better job on launch day. I'm very grateful that I can afford a phone. I'll be keeping if for a while! Take care guys!

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Last edited:

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm curious if the new colors strained their manufacturing process. The extra polishing on the jet black and switching space gray to matte could have thrown a wrench in their planning. I also wonder if they sold more this year than previous years because of the water resistance?

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm not trying to complain but Apple did a terrible job with inventory on the 7+. 5 att stores in my area received zero 7+. Best buy didn't even have any shipped to them either. I'll never understand why apple does this to us, the customers. They know which colors will sell out (both black phones) and which ones won't as quickly (rose gold/silver).

Due to their **** poor planning, nobody is getting anything. But there were plenty of iPhone 7s that I could get but cmon, everyone knows the 7+ is the better of the two!

Yup. Which is why this is the last time I preorder and put myself through that.
If I am to stay with Apple, I'll be getting my phones as I've gotten my ipads: As far away from launch day as possible.

Jcblack3310

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm curious if the new colors strained their manufacturing process. The extra polishing on the jet black and switching space gray to matte could have thrown a wrench in their planning. I also wonder if they sold more this year than previous years because of the water resistance?

This is something that happens every year and apple doesn't seem to care. It's very unorganized and tells me as a customer that they don't give a crap about us. It's very frustrating but I'm not sure what the numbers will say.

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I remember the pre orders being gone fairly quickly but there has usually been some in stores on launch day. I wonder how long it takes them to make as many as they have.

zog1977

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
i don't think it is a big deal. i do not need the newest phone on launch day to keep up with the Jones's.

i have no problem waiting. let all those other sheep stand in line

RNCCRN9706

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
I got my phone. A 7Plus 128GB in RoseGold. Delivered at 3:35pm. .

I'm having issues trying to activate it. I gotta leave home in an hour. Already backed up my iPhone 6SPlus yesterday so I'd be all ready to go today. Hmm....

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Which is why this is the last time I preorder and put myself through that.
If I am to stay with Apple, I'll be getting my phones as I've gotten my ipads: As far away from launch day as possible.

Personally, I think Apples biggest issue is the timing of their launches. iPhones release mid September...right before holiday season. So the demand is already high because it's a new device. Then you're leading right into the holidays where the demand increases. And they have proven they can't keep up with that demand. (Which I don't fault them for because sometimes you can't predict how many orders you receive). I just wonder why a company of apples size and wealth can't produce more phones to accommodate even the previous years sales numbers...or move their release date into the summer time. Then maybe when the holiday season rolls around their inventory is stabilizing for the next rush of orders.

Idk..

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
So much goddamn whining over a phone. Jesus. If - as people say - "It happens every year" like this, then the simple solution? Pre-order the night it begins, or live with the luck of the draw the day it hits stores. Or - GASP! - wait until supplies are replenished. Pretty easy math to me.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Clearly the OP has no idea how manufacturing works. Manufacturing doesn't start until summer. Maybe even mid-summer. There is only a finite amount of phones that lines can produce in a day, and this is assuming there is a high amount of solid yields. This year, quality yields were less than expected and manufacturing started later than normal. Then they have to make enough units to get to all the countries listed that would get them 9/16. Apple Stores by far get the most amount of phones, followed by retail partners. Oh and Houston/LA/NYC/Chicago is going to get more phones than Pensacola, FL. Retail partners have and always will get the short end of the stick. Why do you think Best Buy and other retailers are delaying shipments? Because Apple most likely pulled stock for their own stores and/or iPhone loyalty customers.

People are getting phones. I had several phones show up today at work that were iPhone 7 Plus models for users who pre-ordered. My manager walked into an AT&T store and walked out with two iPhone 7 Plus models. Apple doesn't give a crap about you? Go cry about it somewhere else. Suck it up, wait your turn or go get an Android device. There are several nice models out there. If the quality of your day is dictated on whether you get an iPhone on launch day or not, that's not the most ideal life.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
So much goddamn whining over a phone. Jesus. If - as people say - "It happens every year" like this, then the simple solution? Pre-order the night it begins, or live with the luck of the draw the day it hits stores. Or - GASP! - wait until supplies are replenished. Pretty easy math to me.

FWIW, there are people who did pre-order the night it begins and are waiting until November until their phone is shipped.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I think Apples biggest issue is the timing of their launches. iPhones release mid September...right before holiday season. So the demand is already high because it's a new device. Then you're leading right into the holidays where the demand increases. And they have proven they can't keep up with that demand. (Which I don't fault them for because sometimes you can't predict how many orders you receive). I just wonder why a company of apples size and wealth can't produce more phones to accommodate even the previous years sales numbers...or move their release date into the summer time. Then maybe when the holiday season rolls around their inventory is stabilizing for the next rush of orders.

Idk..

I really feel that a company like Apple ought to be able to have decent inventory for launch day, I don't buy the oops, sorry, we fell short bs line. Which is why this is the last launch day purchase I'll ever make with Apple. If I want a new device, I'll want it in April: gotta put that tax return to good use, lol.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I really feel that a company like Apple ought to be able to have decent inventory for launch day, I don't buy the oops, sorry, we fell short bs line. Which is why this is the last launch day purchase I'll ever make with Apple. If I want a new device, I'll want it in April: gotta put that tax return to good use, lol.

Yea I understand that. Fortunately my phone is in great condition and I technically don't NEED a new phone so I can be a little more patient in this process. The main reason I'm so anxious this year is because I'm leaving Sprint. And I'll be activating with Verizon once I receive my new phone. I don't want to give Sprint another dime and each minute that passes is money going to Sprint, lol.

Well...that and now that I'm seeing these beautiful pics of the Matte Black. Lol.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
FWIW, there are people who did pre-order the night it begins and are waiting until November until their phone is shipped.

I'd be curious to know which configuration they chose. Jet black 128 gig? Yeah that makes sense. 32 gig rose gold iPhone 7, probably didn't have that issue....

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
i don't think it is a big deal. i do not need the newest phone on launch day to keep up with the Jones's.

i have no problem waiting. let all those other sheep stand in line

This would be my first iPhone so I'm not sheep, but I did stand in line for five minutes, does that count? LOL

stayawayfromthey

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site

Idk..

Manufacturing these phones isn't a matter of just throwing money at the issue. I'm sure Apple eventually would love to perhaps actually manufacture most of the essential components themselves whenever and wherever, but it just doesn't make sense for them (yet). And ultimately money doesn't solve the fact that the suppliers they use may still fall short of expected yields for certain components. Trying to spend more money may not help or may not be enough to try to resolve that in time. If there aren't other manufacturers available to step in to make enough of what Apple needs at the quality that Apple needs, then what can Apple do about it? Manufacture it themselves? That's a whole another expense that Apple might not want to make because maybe it makes sense in the short term but not the long term.

Not to mention the amount of territories that Apple has to cover, including China.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site

Yup, but again, luck of the draw. Depends what time you ordered. And the option is always there to go wait in line at the store in hopes of getting lucky on launch day. Otherwise, November it is. It'll still be the same phone. Maybe even better, once the initial rounds of bugs are squashed.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods