No iPhone 7 Plus in store at Apple on Friday

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I live near TWO apple stores and the iphone 6 launch was complete and utter madness at both locations. I originally ordered a Iphone 6 plus 64 gig but somehow got me down for the 16 GB which wasn't enough storage. So Iong story short I end up getting stuck with the 64 gig iphone 6 (4.7 inch) model which isn't what I wanted but had to settle. But I did get apple care for a discount for my trouble so I was okay ha.

I live close to two locations as well! Last year on launch day I went to the less trafficked one (I think?) to look at cases at around 3pm. There was still a line about 50-60 deep waiting to get in.

qnet

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm in agreement with the supply and demand argument that several people have mentioned here. Apple wants to create hype, and the media will report the heck out of iPhone 7 supply shortages. Perception is reality, and the average consumer equates supply shortages with a very high level of demand and is more likely to want an iPhone 7 as a result. That being said, I don't think that the level of supply shortage that we're experiencing was completely expected. I think that the Note 7 debacle compounded demand for the iPhone 7 and Foxconn can only push out product so quickly.

Good point about the Note 7, that should be so obvious and something I hadn't thought about. The Note 7 situation in fact is what got me interested in the Apple keynote. I wasn't totally planning on getting the Iphone 7 this year. Watching the keynote and the Note 7 issues swayed me.

Le Caid

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Seems as if Apple hasn't any unlocked 7s either. They let you preorder unlocked but want a carrier even if you pay in full AND your SS#
Looks weird to me. When I bought my unlocked 6+ from Apple paying full price, it came without a SIM card. I then bought the AT&T GoPhone package for <$10 and picked the $60 monthly package with unlimited talk and text. Data is 6GB with rollover.
No contract. If I pay with credit card and opt for automatic payment, I get a $5 discount.

qnet

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Seems as if Apple hasn't any unlocked 7s either. They let you preorder unlocked but want a carrier even if you pay in full AND your SS#
Looks weird to me. When I bought my unlocked 6+ from Apple paying full price, it came without a SIM card. I then bought the AT&T GoPhone package for <$10 and picked the $60 monthly package with unlimited talk and text. Data is 6GB with rollover.
No contract. If I pay with credit card and opt for automatic payment, I get a $5 discount.

I'm not sure but I think they have to know what carrier you're with so they can ship the appropriate model. When I've ordered unlocked Iphones in the past, there were still three different GSM models before they went to the new Apple sim.

alex.shimp

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I was planning on going and camping out at my local Apple Store but after reading that release (fake or not) I'm not gonna go and waist 14 hours in line in the Florida heat, to just be told I'm sol. I have a preorder in play but "I WANT IT NOW" so I think I'm just gonna wait it out.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I was planning on going and camping out at my local Apple Store but after reading that release (fake or not) I'm not gonna go and waist 14 hours in line in the Florida heat, to just be told I'm sol. I have a preorder in play but "I WANT IT NOW" so I think I'm just gonna wait it out.

If Matthew Panzarino posts it, it's real. He is not going to make a fake post/statement from Apple. He has connections within Apple.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I just hope that Apple Store employees will let those who are lining up know that there are no (or limited) Plus units as soon as they can so people aren't stuck waiting for hours only to be sent away when the store opens for business in the morning.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I remember this happening in 2014 for the 6 Plus.

At the time I was getting the 6, all paid in full for in store pick up and chose to do the camp out for fun, but I remember people there who had not preordered and who left empty handed and very pissed off.

T48

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm in agreement with the supply and demand argument that several people have mentioned here. Apple wants to create hype, and the media will report the heck out of iPhone 7 supply shortages. Perception is reality, and the average consumer equates supply shortages with a very high level of demand and is more likely to want an iPhone 7 as a result. That being said, I don't think that the level of supply shortage that we're experiencing was completely expected. I think that the Note 7 debacle compounded demand for the iPhone 7 and Foxconn can only push out product so quickly.

I probably shouldn't disagree with a moderator. ;) But since this is mostly opinion.... Can't imagine the Note 7 had much of an impact on iPhone 7+. Yes some people here have shifted. But the Note 7 sold an estimated 2.5 million globally in 2 weeks if the recall numbers were mostly accurate. Iphone 6s sold 13 million in the opening week or something last year? Even if half of the 2.5m switched & all came to Apple. It is a relatively small percentage of overall buyers that Apple should have planned for if they were wanting to meet launch day goals.

Am agreeing with the aspect others have mentioned about marketing & keeping the hype going. No one on the android side does that & unless you are really excited about one of their offerings, a buyer will wait. Sometimes that buyer may find something completely different. So as much as it is frustrating or agitating. Apple is very effective at keeping the hype going is definitely beneficial. If you do not use their product & see a line out of the door, you are going to take notice one way or another. Again, just a thought.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I probably shouldn't disagree with a moderator. ;) But since this is mostly opinion.... Can't imagine the Note 7 had much of an impact on iPhone 7+. Yes some people here have shifted. But the Note 7 sold an estimated 2.5 million globally in 2 weeks if the recall numbers were mostly accurate. Iphone 6s sold 13 million in the opening week or something last year? Even if half of the 2.5m switched & all came to Apple. It is a relatively small percentage of overall buyers that Apple should have planned for if they were wanting to meet launch day goals.

Am agreeing with the aspect others have mentioned about marketing & keeping the hype going. No one on the android side does that & unless you are really excited about one of their offerings, a buyer will wait. Sometimes that buyer may find something completely different. So as much as it is frustrating or agitating. Apple is very effective at keeping the hype going is definitely beneficial. If you do not use their product & see a line out of the door, you are going to take notice one way or another. Again, just a thought.

Great points! And feel free to disagree as long as it's in the spirit of good discussion.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Yes it's your opinion. You never have to agree with anything. Even as a former moderator here for many years, we don't always know everything.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice