No iPhone 7 Plus in store at Apple on Friday

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I'm going to take this with a grain of salt. There is no sources linked in that TechCrunch article at all.

You realize the article by Matthew Panzarino is very close with Apple? He gets all review units. He got a jet black i7 to review. If he posts that article, you better believe it.

qnet

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I honestly think it is intentional... To drum up more interest. Because it happens every year.

I've often wondered about that myself. They've been making this phone what, like 9 years, and still always seem to run out of certain models. I can't imagine the logistics of selling so many devices however.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I wonder what would happen to their sales if Apple were honest about their stock. If they said "We have a zillion iPhone 7 devices for September 16, but if you want the 7 Plus, order 2weeks later"
Personally I would prefer that: it would allow me to PLAN my schedule to be home on delivery day before getting the surprise after finalizing my order.
But as it stands Apple looks like they are trying to cause the same hysteria as Walmart does for Black Friday, and frankly I find that to be a complete turn off.

I don't know, I'm in a stage of my life where I soon won't need to rely on Apple's ecosystem.
If buying their products is always such a morass, it may become too tedious for what it's worth.

So I think next time I need to upgrade, I will not do it on launch day, I will wait an extra 3-4 months, then walk in the store at my leisure and buy what I want on the spot.

Or I can decide that Apple has served my needs but is now becoming too much trouble for what it's worth and go the Nexus route since I really think that's the only way to do Android right,

But hopping from one foot to the other like a caffeinated donkey waiting for the carrot on the stick is no longer an option for me, I am done with Apple launch day nonsense.

That said, I adore my iPad Pro 9.7 and I'm sure I will love my iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB, but I have reached a point where I loathe the marketing hysteria more than I love the devices, so if I am to stay with Apple, I am confident that I will upgrade my devices as far away from launch dates as I can.
If not, I will have to jump ship.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
So many people looking at this through blinded consumer goggles, totally forgetting that Apple is a business first and foremost. What benefit would they get from over producing product to fulfill first day sales with left over stock? Regardless of why there is a shortage of stock (and I personally believe, like others, that it is intentional), it drums up sales like a wild fire. People realize they "can't have" the newest iPhone on release day and they go into full on panic mode and want it ASAP. This creates a "hype", which drive iPhone sales through the roof directly after release.

This is a business move to sell more products. Is it satisfying to the consumer who has to wait a few days for their device? Not really, but to sit and be bamboozled by it is simply foolish. Even more so if you're up in arms about it with confusion because you feel they had time to "prepare" for it. You think Apple wants to have product on hand for every person that walks into the door? Hell no! They want supply low so demand sky rockets! The average consumer thinks if stock is low that must mean demand is high, which, to them, directly correlates to the product being worthy of the hype. This sells products.

Apple knows, and has always know, exactly what they are doing, when it comes to their pre-ordering and launch day chaos.

qnet

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what would happen to their sales if Apple were honest about their stock. If they said "We have a zillion iPhone 7 devices for September 16, but if you want the 7 Plus, order 2weeks later"
Personally I would prefer that: it would allow me to PLAN my schedule to be home on delivery day before getting the surprise after finalizing my order.
But as it stands Apple looks like they are trying to cause the same hysteria as Walmart does for Black Friday, and frankly I find that to be a complete turn off.

I don't know, I'm in a stage of my life where I soon won't need to rely on Apple's ecosystem.
If buying their products is always such a morass, it may become too tedious for what it's worth.

So I think next time I need to upgrade, I will not do it on launch day, I will wait an extra 3-4 months, then walk in the store at my leisure and buy what I want on the spot.

Or I can decide that Apple has served my needs but is now becoming too much trouble for what it's worth and go the Nexus route since I really think that's the only way to do Android right,

But hopping from one foot to the other like a caffeinated donkey waiting for the carrot on the stick is no longer an option for me, I am done with Apple launch day nonsense.

That said, I adore my iPad Pro 9.7 and I'm sure I will love my iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB, but I have reached a point where I loathe the marketing hysteria more than I love the devices, so if I am to stay with Apple, I am confident that I will upgrade my devices as far away from launch dates as I can.
If not, I will have to jump ship.

I understand where you're coming from but as a purchaser of Iphones, and even more Nexus phones (I've had every one) I feel I should warn you if you go the Nexus/Pixel route in the future.

They pretty much do the same thing we're speculating about Apple doing, except it's much worse. I say it's worse because their demand is nowhere near the level of an Iphone, and yet they've had some really crazy launches in the past. I remember trying to order the Nexus 6, and it literally being out of stock in seconds, maybe even microseconds LOL!

Nexus buyers are mainly the tech/geek crowd, and I remember people running programming scripts that auto refreshed the order page, and rang a bell when a phone become available. (I even thought about trying this myself).

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I understand where you're coming from but as a purchaser of Iphones, and even more Nexus phones (I've had every one) I feel I should warn you if you go the Nexus/Pixel route in the future.

They pretty much do the same thing we're speculating about Apple doing, except it's much worse. I say it's worse because their demand is nowhere near the level of an Iphone, and yet they've had some really crazy launches in the past. I remember trying to order the Nexus 6, and it literally being out of stock in seconds, maybe even microseconds LOL!

Nexus buyers are mainly the tech/geek crowd, and I remember people running programming scripts that auto refreshed the order page, and rang a bell when a phone become available. (I even thought about trying this myself).

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! That's it: We need to kidnap the entire Apple marketing team and force them to use the exploding Samsung phones until they change their practices. Harrumph.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, supply and demand people. You can't tell me that no one at Apple hasn't seen the queues forming year after year, at shop after shop, for an iteration of an iPhone, and now an Apple Watch, too.

Someone at Apple is sitting there laughing saying to themselves, "We have them right where we want them...". Why do you think those that start getting delivery dates of 3-5 weeks for shipping, but then start receiving their units much sooner...

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
So many people looking at this through blinded consumer goggles, totally forgetting that Apple is a business first and foremost. What benefit would they get from over producing product to fulfill first day sales with left over stock? Regardless of why there is a shortage of stock (and I personally believe, like others, that it is intentional), it drums up sales like a wild fire. People realize they "can't have" the newest iPhone on release day and they go into full on panic mode and want it ASAP. This creates a "hype", which drive iPhone sales through the roof directly after release.

This is a business move to sell more products. Is it satisfying to the consumer who has to wait a few days for their device? Not really, but to sit and be bamboozled by it is simply foolish. Even more so if you're up in arms about it with confusion because you feel they had time to "prepare" for it. You think Apple wants to have product on hand for every person that walks into the door? Hell no! They want supply low so demand sky rockets! The average consumer thinks if stock is low that must mean demand is high, which, to them, directly correlates to the product being worthy of the hype. This sells products.

Apple knows, and has always know, exactly what they are doing, when it comes to their pre-ordering and launch day chaos.

I disagree. Regardless if someone preorders a phone or they stroll into a store for a phone, they're doing so because they know they already want it. And in the case of iProducts, hundreds of thousands of people already want them even before they hear the official announcement. I feel if Apple wants to illustrate how popular their devices are, they should be able to boast that ___ million people have preordered and will receive their device upon launch. Additionally, they should be able to say that ___ million people walked into their carrier during launch weekend and picked up new iPhones.

Granted, this is just from my point of view and I'm pretty bad with delayed gratification. My mom loves telling the story of when I was in preschool and the teacher was teaching us a lesson. She said that she had 5 balloons right now and she could give them to a few students. But tomorrow she would have enough balloons for the whole class and we could all enjoy them at the same time. She asked which we wanted to do. Of course most kids said that they wanted to wait until tomorrow. As I was leaving, I went up to the teacher and said "I don't think you understand me, I want the red balloon and I want it now!" I'm a bit ashamed to say that about 33 years later not much has changed, because I want the 128gb matte black iPhone 7+ and I want it tomorrow :).

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
LMAO! Priceless and honest...

She said that she had 5 balloons right now and she could give them to a few students. But tomorrow she would have enough balloons for the whole class and we could all enjoy them at the same time. She asked which we wanted to do. Of course most kids said that they wanted to wait until tomorrow. As I was leaving, I went up to the teacher and said "I don't think you understand me, I want the red balloon and I want it now!" I'm a bit ashamed to say that about 33 years later not much has changed, because I want the 128gb matte black iPhone 7+ and I want it tomorrow :).

rafaelgood19

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm going to be a positive thinker and say that this is inaccurate information. I did try to search for apple's statement on their website....does any one have a direct link to apple's site where they released this information? I just can't imagine apple not being ready for an iPhone release in stores...-

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to be a positive thinker and say that this is inaccurate information. I did try to search for apple's statement on their website....does any one have a direct link to apple's site where they released this information? I just can't imagine apple not being ready for an iPhone release in stores...-

Do you think a reputable site like Tech Crunch would risk their reputation by putting out a fake statement by Apple? lol

rafaelgood19

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Do you think a reputable site like Tech Crunch would risk their reputation by putting out a fake statement by Apple? lol

Hey hey! Let me live in my positive space! LOL! I am just going to hope there is only truth to this for jet black and not the plus (I want a gold plus) I just don't believe that they sold out of all the phones and I'm sticking to that.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
This is one of the reasons I decided to just wait and get mine late November. The big rush of people trying to buy phones will have died down (a little) and it wouldn't be such a hassle finding or ordering a 7 Plus with the storage and color I want.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
This is one of the reasons I decided to just wait and get mine late November. The big rush of people trying to buy phones will have died down (a little) and it wouldn't be such a hassle finding or ordering a 7 Plus with the storage and color I want.

Yep. If I'm to stay with Apple, that's what I'll do in the future. I'm already doing that with iPads, I have never bought an iPad on launch day.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Yep. If I'm to stay with Apple, that's what I'll do in the future. I'm already doing that with iPads, I have never bought an iPad on launch day.

Honestly, I wish I had waited in the past. Sure it's exciting to get the phone on launch day but some of the hassle that come along with it sometimes just isn't worth it.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I wish I had waited in the past. Sure it's exciting to get the phone on launch day but some of the hassle that come along with it sometimes just isn't worth it.

EXACTLY!!! Omg talk about Apple totally killing this lady *****, here. My zen level isn't worth sacrificing for Apple consumer madness anymore, lol.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm in agreement with the supply and demand argument that several people have mentioned here. Apple wants to create hype, and the media will report the heck out of iPhone 7 supply shortages. Perception is reality, and the average consumer equates supply shortages with a very high level of demand and is more likely to want an iPhone 7 as a result. That being said, I don't think that the level of supply shortage that we're experiencing was completely expected. I think that the Note 7 debacle compounded demand for the iPhone 7 and Foxconn can only push out product so quickly.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
EXACTLY!!! Omg talk about Apple totally killing this lady *****, here. My zen level isn't worth sacrificing for Apple consumer madness anymore, lol.

I live near TWO apple stores and the iphone 6 launch was complete and utter madness at both locations. I originally ordered a Iphone 6 plus 64 gig but somehow got me down for the 16 GB which wasn't enough storage. So Iong story short I end up getting stuck with the 64 gig iphone 6 (4.7 inch) model which isn't what I wanted but had to settle. But I did get apple care for a discount for my trouble so I was okay ha.

Le Caid

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a 6+ 128gb which I'll turn over to my soul mate when I buy my 7+ 128gb for xmas. By then most of the usual bugs will be taken care of.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm in agreement with the supply and demand argument that several people have mentioned here. Apple wants to create hype, and the media will report the heck out of iPhone 7 supply shortages. Perception is reality, and the average consumer equates supply shortages with a very high level of demand and is more likely to want an iPhone 7 as a result. That being said, I don't think that the level of supply shortage that we're experiencing was completely expected. I think that the Note 7 debacle compounded demand for the iPhone 7 and Foxconn can only push out product so quickly.

Yea my local news is already reporting on the line of people camping out at the apple stores in my area.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen