Accepting credit card payments

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Someone in a thread raised a brilliant point about using Square Up, for payments (Magstripe Reader).
With the lack of a headphone jack, what is going to be the best option for accepting credit card payments?

Using the dongle, might not be a good long term solution. And, using the camera, to scan the card; well, I certainly wouldn't want to do that as a customer.

Ideas...?

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I assume Square will come out with a solution in the form of a lightning payment dongle. They will likely retire the old one in time since most iPhones available today have a lightning port.

Hoggles

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Someone in a thread raised a brilliant point about using Square Up, for payments (Magstripe Reader).
With the lack of a headphone jack, what is going to be the best option for accepting credit card payments?

Using the dongle, might not be a good long term solution. And, using the camera, to scan the card; well, I certainly wouldn't want to do that as a customer.

Ideas...?

I have no doubt Square is already working on a lightning port version.

Contact them and find out :)

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
They already have a wireless reader that accepts NFC, Chip and Swipe. It is $49 and most people can expense it on their taxes.

NVM it does NOT have swipe.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
This is really bad unfortunately. It means there is no connector common to iPhone and Android smart phones, and may mean that poor Square have to make two variants of the hardware. And sign a license to join Apple's MFi programme - see https://mfi.apple.com/MFiWeb/getFAQ.action#1-1 . This license is only available under NDA and might contain anything - it could be incompatible with many business models.

It might be better to switch to Android for card payments. Or look into the wireless reader.

Steven Sabo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Actually with a lightning extension cable and the headphone dongle on the end, the reader has more options to be mounted on the counter for cards to be swiped. So I don't foresee this being a big issue.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
The dongle works with the credit card reader just fine (according to reviews and directly from Square themselves), and to be honest, the dongle probably provides a slightly more convenient angle to swipe a card in that regard since it can be angled better than having the square reader directly in line with the bottom of the phone (which I have used quite often, and it always seems awkward when the vendor is holding their phone processing the payment in their own hand).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW