Apple Upgrade Program fails without in-store visit

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I bought my iPhone 6s Plus through the Apple Upgrade Program as soon as it became available in September of 2015. I traveled 2 1/2 hours to the closest Apple Store - a 5 hour trip, plus in-store time. It's now time to upgrade, the raison d'?tre of the program. However, I don't want to make that trip again. I find that, apparently, Apple has no method for upgrading through home shipment for those of us who enrolled in the program at its inception unless one travels to a physical store - regardless of how great a distance that store might be. Can someone tell me if there is any way to upgrade without the in-store visit? Those of us who are Apple fans, but live in rural areas, are, it seems, out of luck. As an aside, even at 3:01 a.m. (EST), there were no reservations available for the iPhone 7 Plus in gold (not even one of the new colors) in the state where I live. Any suggestions as to how to get around this dilemma absent a day-long journey would be greatly appreciated.

nokia4life

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
It seems off the back that one would have to return the phone in person for it to be inspected and changed out with the new current year iphone. Its not a surprise to me. I actually enrolled in the program this time around so I am already expecting next year that I will pre order online and it will be reserved in store. I hand them the phone they give me my new one and I am out the door.

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I understand your thoughts. However, if one has Apple Care through the AUP and there is any damage to the phone, that is something that is taken care of through Apple Care. If damage is present, the charges for that could be billed when the examination is completed by Apple through the shipped return. The second problem is for those of us who can't easily walk into a store and make an exchange because the closest store is 3 hours away. That's the issue I'm having. That's the benefit I'm looking for when looking to upgrade yearly when living in a rural area.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
It's why I did the AT&T delivery NEXT plan over the Apple plan. I am 140 miles (each way) from the nearest Apple store for pick up. Not doing that drive to get a phone.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
My advise to you is don't even bother and go with another financing option, like your carrier. Sell your phone and pay off the remaining balance to get out of the program.

Apple screwed us this year. I will cancel this POS program asap by selling my 6s. By 12am no stores even had enough stock for me to create a reservation but yet they offered the program online to the new enrollees and even have the option to ship the phone. The truth is Apple didn't set enough inventory for upgraders and on top of that did not offer shipping then new phone and mailing back the old. Even AT&T Next has this option. I ended up going with the new AT&T Next Every Year which is really inline with AUP minus Apple Care+.

There is an article on this and a long thread from upset current members:
iPhone Upgrade Program Causes Headaches on Launch Day Due to Limited Stock - Mac Rumors

So much for:
image.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro