Does the iPhone 7 support fast charge?

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Does it support fast charging yet? I love the idea of putting my Galaxy S7 on the wireless charging pad for an hour or so and seeing it full again while I know Apple products take ages to charge. Do they have fast charging yet?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It's not mentioned in the Keynote, so apparently it doesn't. But you can always use an iPad charger to charge faster than the stock iPhone charger.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Does it support fast charging yet? I love the idea of putting my Galaxy S7 on the wireless charging pad for an hour or so and seeing it full again while I know Apple products take ages to charge. Do they have fast charging yet?

If you go iPhone 7+, you likely won't have to worry about fast charging in most situations. The battery life is phenomenal.

It's that pesky 7 I'm worried about. The battery life on the 6s is passable and the 7 looks to improve on that but I'm still thinking there will be more battery anxiety days than I'm comfortable with.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hard to believe people still get bent out of shape over the battery. I don't pay any attention to it. If it needs charging, I charge it. I do set things in Settings to get the most I can. I don't worry about fast charging. I don't care if it takes 1 hour or 2 hours. Doesn't matter. Rapid charging will not hurt your iPhone battery, unless it causes it to heat up. Just be aware of that.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It's been widely discussed (blogs, podcasts, etc.) that fast charging accelerates battery wear. That's ultimately my concern. My 6s Plus has great battery life and I don't mind the time it takes to charge. There's a give and a take, and I prefer slower battery wear over a quicker charge.

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
It's been widely discussed (blogs, podcasts, etc.) that fast charging accelerates battery wear. That's ultimately my concern. My 6s Plus has great battery life and I don't mind the time it takes to charge. There's a give and a take, and I prefer slower battery wear over a quicker charge.

That reminds me, when I had a BlackBerry 9900, if I charge it slowly using the USB cable connected to my computer I could swear the battery life is lasting longer than if I were to charge it fast via the charger. Maybe it's all in my head but I felt that the slower you charge, the better the battery life is. Maybe I'm wrong

Jinal_JCS

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Using iPad charger to charge iPhones might damage it as the internals are designed in keeping mind a particular charge Amp. Always prefer to use the reco charger, even if it's slower.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Using iPad charger to charge iPhones might damage it as the internals are designed in keeping mind a particular charge Amp. Always prefer to use the reco charger, even if it's slower.

This is not true. The iPad charger is a certified charger for the iPhones.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Yea using the iPad charger does charger quicker. But over time I believe it does damage the battery. I used a ipad block and another after market charger that charged at a high rate. My iPhone 6 after a year had started to have battery problems. Turning itself off at 30% then saying the battery was dead.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have been using an iPad charger on my old 4s for two years now and have seen no obvious accelerated battery wear so far.

MiXoLoGiSt

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yea using the iPad charger does charger quicker. But over time I believe it does damage the battery. I used a ipad block and another after market charger that charged at a high rate. My iPhone 6 after a year had started to have battery problems. Turning itself off at 30% then saying the battery was dead.

That was because of the After Market one most likely. I use the Apple iPad charger to charge my 6s+ and I haven't had any issues at all. I've been using it since I got the phone.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

This was something I expected Apple to include this year, i wasn't to hopeful about wireless charging but fast charging i thought had a decent change of getting in there. To be its not that important, i don't mind it taking a little longer to charge. its a small price to pay to own a gorgeous device. :)

Zach Charlie

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
A phone won"t draw more power than it can take. There are chips in phones to prevent shortened life. Int he first generation of Qualcomm quckcharge this was a slight issue but is now not even a thought

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 6S Plus battery is great on WiFi in your living room.

It's pretty pathetic when you're riding shotgun down the east coast and have to use LTE for extended periods of time (i.e. more than a few minutes at a time). Unless you're using it with the screen off (i.e. just listening to music), the drain is real.

This has always been the Achilles' Heel of the iPhone for me. Battery life under moderate use on LTE.

The standby times are miraculous, but if you are a moderate-heavy user Android flagships tend to outpace the iPhone since you won't lose nearly as much power to their weaker standby power management than if you used your phone only lightly; due to the larger batteries (substantially larger in some cases).

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
A phone won"t draw more power than it can take. There are chips in phones to prevent shortened life. Int he first generation of Qualcomm quckcharge this was a slight issue but is now not even a thought

I wasn't claiming that the phone doesn't regulate the amount of power it draws. The fact is that the quicker you try to charge a lithium ion battery the faster it will wear over time. This is why iPhone doesn't allow, for example, 20W of power to be drawn in. The battery would charge faster but it would shorten its lifespan.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR