What cases are you using on your iPhone 7 Plus?

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Poor thing. I picked up a Lifeproof, a Tech21, an Incipio and...oh yeah, an iPhone SE and an Otterbox Symmetry for it. No control whatsoever on this end.

Lol. I know an iPhone would be bad for me. I am already looking at a Seidio case and maybe another Incipio case. Not good. I just like changes and different cases. I change them like I change my shirt.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Lol. I know an iPhone would be bad for me. I am already looking at a Seidio case and maybe another Incipio case. Not good. I just like changes and different cases. I change them like I change my shirt.

Just won another damn case on eBay, a Tech21 Active folio. I have three cases now that aren't even here yet. Please stop me!

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Lifeproof FRE Review the First 24 Hours in Wylie's Hot Little Hand

I ordered the asphalt black Lifeproof FRE on the 23rd from BestBuy.com for $39.99, and received it on the 29th (holidays and all). The packaging is the typical Lifeproof packaging with the flip cover to view it. The case was packaged face down with the extra stickers and cloth, and the first thing I promptly did was touch all over the inside of the screen protector when trying to unbox it. The newest thing in the box was the "pry key" to open the case without damaging it...supposedly. Haven't tried it out yet.

The back of the case came scratched to the right of the L, just like felloffthetruck. No biggie to me. I used the sticker on the inside of the back plate to "tape" the screen of my phone, and taped the inside of the case with scotch tape because I was attracting every fuzzy in the land trying to get it in the case. On previous LP's I noticed it was a really tight fit initially putting the phone in the front plate, but this time around it seems snug, but not as snug as before and I was able to pop the phone out before putting the back plate on with no issues or resistance. Finally got the phone in with one rogue tiny fuzzy on the inside of the screen. Unlike others I didn't notice a huge or serious gap between the screen protector and the phone. I have owned a ton of LP cases and I think I kind of knew what to expect.

First impressions in the first 24 hours are that yes, the screen is kind of grainy with the protector on it, but it doesn't bother me to the point of annoyance. The grainy screen is apparently a big complaint...but it doesn't affect your ability to view the screen, but it won't be as pretty as you like. If you've registered for the warranty you can get it replaced because LP swears up and down that the screen protector isn't supposed to be like that, but the screen protectors have been like that since the cases first came out, not on them all but a good deal of them. My screen protector doesn't have a big gap, this gap usually bothers me in the bottom row of the keyboard or the tray on the home screen and I've so far had no issues and can thumb wrestle my phone until the cows come home with no apparent issues. And the question you're all burning to know the answer to, yes, there are Newton rings aka oil slicks under the screen, but they don't affect the phone when the screen is on. If you like LP, then you know the rings are coming and you can either let it bother you, or you can just let it slide. I didn't pay full price for the case, so it's a con I can live with (and have lived with when I don't rock a NUUD). Finally, yes, that tissue thin membrane on the home button is kind of meh to look at, but it doesn't degrade the haptic engine or Touch ID one dang bit. The first time you use the membrane it becomes, for lack of a better word, stuck to the home button, which is similar to previous LP's made for iPhones with Touch ID. Again, it doesn't bother me because it works very well, it does its job and as long as it holds out and you're not gouging it with mile long finger nails or applying undo force I think it'll hold up quite nicely.

The case is the thinnest LP I've ever had. I usually use a slightly bulkier NUUD. With the elimination of the headphone jack they thinned the case down and added two ports to funnel sound out of the phone speaker to the front bottom of the case on either side of the charging port. For me it doesn't seem like it's too much of a sacrifice on the sound part. There's still the bass vibration at the back of the case as well. I personally like it. The buttons and volume switch are pretty stiff, but I'm sure once I use the case more they'll loosen up and be more tactile. The front and back camera didn't suffer any loss of clarity. The camera hump on the back is going to be millimeters bigger because of the actual hump on the phone, but I haven't noticed any grainy pics or any difference in the front facing camera so, for me, LP knocked the camera part out of the park. The charging port hatch is the same old charging port hatch. You'll probably have to use OEM charging cables or charging cables that are similar in size to the OEM lightning chargers.

In the words of Flossy Carter, the phone feels great in hand. I've always liked the texture of the back plate, and the raised lip around the edge of the back. For a giant phone the case doesn't add a lot of bulk, especially since they slimmed it down even more. I haven't taken the phone out of the case. I haven't taken any phone calls yet, but turned off the noise reduction on my actual phone per Lifeproof's suggestion in case I do end up getting a phone call. Turning off the noise reduction supposedly axes the muffled, dungeon sounding feedback on the caller's side, so we will see what happens. I noticed my voicemail I received today was kind of quiet, but I think it actually was the person calling being quiet and not the actual phone call itself. My other voicemails sounded fine. Once I decide to actually socialize and answer a phone call or make one I'll give some feedback on how goes!

Cheers!

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Love the lifeproof review. I'm enjoying mine. Grainy, not to bad. Mine came with no scratches and fits beautifully. Definitely the thinnest tube used to date. Then black is even growing on me a tad.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro