Let's talk cameras

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
It appears that you need a 3rd party camera app to take advantage of RAW capture. I am looking at the Obscura camera app.

Yes, never really played with non-Adobe Photoshop based RAW editors. There should be some good ones out there. Remember RAW its' RAW, need to adjust a lot to make the photo look just right. With JPG the camera assumes the best imagine it can, and tries to deliver that. You make a few adjustments or filters and you're good to go. With RAW it could be everything from light to shadows, to hue to saturation and luminosity on each color etc.. Here are a few screen shots from Adobe Camera Raw to get a hint of what (May or May Not) be needed to start editing. Just the raw part, then the rest I do inside Photoshop.

raw.jpg

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a new model: there's a huge, beautiful bobcat that has taken residence near our cabin.
I want to try to photograph him now with my 6 Plus and later with my 7 Plus to compare.
Any excuse is good to get to know this big cat while not interfering with his being wild and untamed, hehehe.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The workflow for RAW is just as terrible as the workflow for FHD/4K video on the devices, which is incredibly disappointing.

Drag a DNG out of Apple Photos on OS X, and you get... a JPEG. Want the DNG? "Show Contents" and dig for it or go to iCloud.com (on your iMac, mind you) and download it from there. There doesn't seem to be any really good RAW support in Photos on iOS and there is no indication in the app which Photos are RAW and Which are JPEGs).

It's like no one at Apple actually used the devices for this. They just threw some stuff together to tick off a few more feature boxes.

Still the worst smartphone platform on the market for Photography/Videography workflow.

I feel like I'm using a cameraphone marketed towards professionals, but designed for people with a mental handicap.

EDIT: Does anyone know if iPhoto will Sync the RAW images from the iPhone to the Mac?

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The workflow for RAW is just as terrible as the workflow for FHD/4K video on the devices, which is incredibly disappointing.

Drag a DNG out of Apple Photos on OS X, and you get... a JPEG. Want the DNG? "Show Contents" and dig for it or go to iCloud.com (on your iMac, mind you) and download it from there. There doesn't seem to be any really good RAW support in Photos on iOS and there is no indication in the app which Photos are RAW and Which are JPEGs).

It's like no one at Apple actually used the devices for this. They just threw some stuff together to tick off a few more feature boxes.

Still the worst smartphone platform on the market for Photography/Videography workflow.

I feel like I'm using a cameraphone marketed towards professionals, but designed for people with a mental handicap.

EDIT: Does anyone know if iPhoto will Sync the RAW images from the iPhone to the Mac?

Apple Photos is an abomination to me. I only use it for "snap shots".

It looks like Adobe just released Lightroom Mobile 2.5 which has a Camera that takes DNGs. I am thinking I can sync the DNGs with Adobe Cloud into my Desktop Lightroom install and skip Photos.

Media Alert: Adobe Releases Lightroom for Mobile 2.5 Enabling Mobile DNG Raw Photography on iOS 10 | Adobe Newsroom

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
  • If you have the Download Originals to this Mac option turned on in Photos (Photos > Preferences > iCloud > Download Originals to this Mac), then your RAW files are always present in Photos on your Mac.
  • If you have the Optimize Mac Storage option turned on, then your RAW files are stored in iCloud Photo Library. Photos will save disk space on your Mac by displaying optimized JPEG versions of your RAW images. If you edit an optimized image on your Mac, Photos will download the RAW file for that image.
  • When Photos downloads a RAW image from iCloud Photo Library, it creates a new full-sized JPEG for optimal viewing on your Mac. It won't replace the RAW and embedded JPEG file already stored in iCloud. iOS devices will view the embedded JPEG.
  • RAW files that you store outside the Photos library (for example, in your Pictures folder) are always present on your Mac, but aren't stored in iCloud and won't be up-to-date in the Photos app on iOS devices.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

You do realize that this information you're quoting is virtually worthless, right?

The issue isn't that they aren't there, it's that they're "practically inaccessible" on the device.

You cannot get the 1080p or 4K Video, or the DNG RAW files out of Photos unless:

1. "Show Contents" on the Photo Library and crawl through it until you find the specific file you need, or

2. Go to iCloud.com and download from there.

Additionally, getting them from iCloud.com is cumbersome because you have literally no indicator which file is RAW and which file is JPEG, which is an issue if you're shooting RAW+JPEG. So, you have to Get Info on every similar pair to pick out the format you want.

The issue has nothing to do with whether or not the system downloads them. It does, but they're basically still locked away in a box and not easily accessible (so much trouble, that it isn't worth using it at all). I've already posted on this issue regarding video, in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if you replied with the same quote...

Unless you can show me a video of you dragging a DNG, 1080p or 4K video out of Photos to your Desktop (or another folder in Finder); in which the software doesn't automatically transcode/compress it to JPEG or a 720p video, nothing in that quote is of use in this situation.

I don't bemoan the enthusiasm to help; but if the solution was that trivial, this would not be a concern at all. I do know how to read.

Tip: You cannot, so don't bother. IT works the way I say it does. Drag a DNG out, it becomes a JPEG. Drag a 1080p or 4K video out, it becomes a 720p video. Need the original? Crawl through the Library (good luck with a large library), or download from iCloud.com. Really no point even downloading originals at all, to be quite frank.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Apple Photos is an abomination to me. I only use it for "snap shots".

It looks like Adobe just released Lightroom Mobile 2.5 which has a Camera that takes DNGs. I am thinking I can sync the DNGs with Adobe Cloud into my Desktop Lightroom install and skip Photos.

Media Alert: Adobe Releases Lightroom for Mobile 2.5 Enabling Mobile DNG Raw Photography on iOS 10 | Adobe Newsroom
How does the iPhone sync photos to a Windows Machine. Is it through iTunes and to the Pictures Folder? I may be able to get around it by simply not using a Mac and using my Windows Notebook instead, along with ACDSee Pro, which is on sale through the end of today.

If I can sync the photos directly off my iPhone to my PC.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
All I have is a 6... I just shot a 1080p movie at 30fps and was able to AirDrop it to my Mac. The .mov file is 1080 ? 1920

Pretty easy operation.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
All I have is a 6... I just shot a 1080p movie at 30fps and was able to AirDrop it to my Mac. The .mov file is 1080 ? 1920

Pretty easy operation.
Workarounds are not solutions, and I have have a bad experience with AirDrop in the past (recent discussions were had on this topic).

Also completely ignores the actual issues I bought up :p

But it's obvious that the solution is to either workaround the issue, or switch devices or workflow to something that works.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site

lol, awww, a professional photographer did a full documentary and right up about the new iPhone 7's camera with optical zoom. According to some on this forum, this guy is just misinformed and has "no idea what he's talking about, frankly". Oh well, there's always someone out there that "knows" better than anyone else, regardless of fact.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
It feels like some have a full time job complaining about everything they hate about their existing iPhones, what sucks about the new one, which begs the question...

Why on earth are they still using it?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
lol, awww, a professional photographer did a full documentary and right up about the new iPhone 7's camera with optical zoom. According to some on this forum, this guy is just misinformed and has "no idea what he's talking about, frankly". Oh well, there's always someone out there that "knows" better than anyone else, regardless of fact.

I have been a pro-photographer for a long time... quit for Corporate in the 90s, was doing Rock & Roll Photography in the 80s, owned Rock & Roll Rarities... some fun times, from hanging out with Kiss & Cheap Trick, to watching jam sessions at Stevie Nick's house, but long story with my ex-wife, running off with the $$$ from the biz, etc.. after Corporate I missed it, and went back into Portrait photography as a hobby, got another studio, and closed it last June after my wife lost her job.. we took a new career directions managing properties, so we can spend more time together, as we get older.

All that being said, I have been around a LOT of cameras, good ones, bad ones, etc.

I will make 2-points and only two at this time.

1. I would rather work with a Good Photographer who has a bad camera, than a Bad Photographer with a good camera.
2. The Camera on the iPhone 7 is/will be amazing and the 7+ even more so... so learn to take good photos regardless of camera. Learn composition, learn lighting, learn posing. There is little you can't do with the iPhone 7 / 7+ cameras.

Let people whine / complain and the b-word. Enjoy the camera, take great pictures, have lovely memories and most importantly... laugh a bit.

:)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
1. I would rather work with a Good Photographer who has a bad camera, than a Bad Photographer with a good camera.

This is what it ultimately comes down to. Just look at your Instagram feed and check out the amateur photos people take. Some people have a knack for photo-taking and some don't. I've seen better pictures from a 5S than I have from a 6S.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

"In terms of quality, I found the the 2x zoom lens to be equally as sharp as the iPhone wide-angle we?re accustomed to. However, I do not recommend the digital zoom beyond 2x. The quality of digital zoom degrades quickly and I find it unusable for photography (although it?s actually kind of nice as an animal spotting tool)."

Well maybe that will cause some of you to rethink trading in your cameras.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Digital zoom has never and, in my opinion, WILL never be a legitimate option because of the nature of how it creates a magnified picture. They didn't really focus on it in the keynote because they knew that digital zoom is still an almost pointless feature for legitimate photos.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
[FONT="]The iPhone 7 keeps the 12-megapixel camera, but adds a larger aperture. Along with optical image stabilization that keeps images steadier. But the iPhone 7 Plus gets a second, 56mm telephoto lens w/ built-in zoom feature. I can't wait to see what I can do with this thing!!!!

[/FONT]

i couldn't be more excited to test some out in the store. ill probably just stand there for a couple minutes zooming in and out lol.
Also quite excited to test out the low light capabilities. Going from a F2.2 to a F1.8 must do something :)

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Portrait mode needs a LOT of work. I can see why it's beta. It gets confused rather easily with finer details (flowers in the wind), etc.
This software background de-focus could easily be implemented on the 7 as well. Samsung has had it for a while now in their software and it works pretty well. And you don't need to be as far away from the subject.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices