Couragegate

Hoggles

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
One thing is certain. Apple is the undisputed king of needing an adaptor to do simple things.

I guess the road to wireless is paved with dongles.

Looking forward to the 7+ though....for sure :)

jarofclay73

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
They are giving away 1 adapter. It will get lost, due to it's small size. Then how much to replace? Adapters were used before on older Smartphones before the iPhone, they had dongles. They were hated then, and will be hated now.
- more expense. (P.S. the iPhone 7 Plus went up $20!!!)
- more connections
- more lost items
- less operability.
= not good.

The Apple Lightning to 3.5" plug is $9. Also, the iPhone 7 storage options are up 100%! iPhone 7 has IP67 water resistance. Darker and shinier black finishes. Non-physical and customizable Home button. Better camera. Retina HD display with wider color gamut. Faster chip. Stereo speakers. Faster LTE. iOS 10.

=

It's not all bad.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Disclaimer: I do intend to purchase two iPhone 7 devices.
That doesn't mean that I cannot find Apple's #JackOff decision to be boneheaded. I get it that despite all the reasons pointed out during the keynote and afterwards this is basically all about $$$....the "Courage" reason is pure marketing PR and Apple does Marketing better than any other company out there. If they were truly doing it because of "Courage" they would have had the guts to say that it's all about bringing in more revenue.
1. #1 wireless BT headphones are Beats = more $$$ for Apple
2. Every MFi certified dongle or headphones = licensing fee per widget sold
3. Every time you lose a dongle, $9 per one
4. Throw in the towel and buy Air Pods = even more $$$ for Apple

This is only a ploy to line their pockets, plain and simple. This is only a win-win scenario for Apple.

Last edited:

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
For those of you saying you won't be able to use the AirPods on long flights are obviously forgetting they come in a case that charges the airpods for up to 24 hours before itself needs to be charged. So theoretically you use the AirPods for 5 hours then they die put them into the charging case and a 15 min charge is supposed to give you 3 hours of extra use. So bam 8 hours or more if you charge them longer.

rdmartin1

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Bluetooth has been out for years now I don't see why this is such a big deal. I've been using LG Tone Pros for the last two years. They are comfortable and work with every device I own. My last to sets of EarPods were given to others. Time to move on.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Those that keep saying "you'll get used to it." are clueless. Dongles for audio were a thing 10+ years ago, and globally hated. Though smartphones back then were few, so it was not a big story. But users still hated them very much. Apple brought out the iPhone and touted that it had the jack. This jack is NOT legacy. I'll use the example again of it's like saying the wheel is legacy. Sure it's an old design, but it works and works better than anything else that tries to replace it. Not is all situations, no. But for more things than just one too. Saying it's old is an excuse to force people to buy things by removing an option that was not needed to be removed.

The NYT has an article on Apple's reputation, and how it's changes are starting to damage it's reputation. People are paying attention to this, and seeing it as a problem. Apple went too far. That's not a first for them, as Apple has back peddled before on other decisions. Though none this big.

This morning, I did a few simple checks to sites selling the iPhone. None seem overwhelmed as to make the purchase difficult. Being one that I've sat patiently waiting for the time to pre-order I've seen the site crashes and quick sell outs of iPhone before. I'm not seeing that this morning. The shipping dates have not slipped yet. And, with Apple refusing to state sales number this time saying "it's more about supply than demain" which is utter B.S. as the sales are driven by pre-orders and don't stop once the phones are gone. They can still sell the iPhone for later delivery.

All of us can only hope that Apple's next risky move is not any worse than this one.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Look back to when Apple quit floppy drives... Same thing here. Get over it. Move on. Apple has... to keep the audio jack around just "because it's always been done this way" is foolhardy.

aokusman1

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Look back to when Apple quit floppy drives... Same thing here. Get over it. Move on. Apple has... to keep the audio jack around just "because it's always been done this way" is foolhardy.

How is it the same thing? Floppy was already on its way out and Apple just stopped using it early, same with the cd drive. The headphone jack is super useful and Apple replaced it with proprietary standard. That's the real issue. All other phone will replace the headphone jack with USB-C, which Apple will have on its laptops.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
For those of you saying you won't be able to use the AirPods on long flights are obviously forgetting they come in a case that charges the airpods for up to 24 hours before itself needs to be charged. So theoretically you use the AirPods for 5 hours then they die put them into the charging case and a 15 min charge is supposed to give you 3 hours of extra use. So bam 8 hours or more if you charge them longer.

If anyone is willing to spend $160 on those things, they're better off spending that money on better Bluetooth headphones/pods.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
If anyone is willing to spend $160 on those things, they're better off spending that money on better Bluetooth headphones/pods.

Finally, this is what makes better sense. I am all for buying a pair of wireless BT headphones.

My issue about the audio jack is I have two cars that rely on being able to use the headphone jack and charge the device at the same time. They are older cars so no BT. I am not about to go out and buy new cars so that I can do this fairly simple and basic task.

I know, I know, soon there will be this dual charging / audio jack dongles galore from 3rd party vendors and heck even Apple might make one so that they can keep their customers "delighted" and make more money of their base.

Pretty soon we will have more dongles than we can count floating around everywhere and every dongle lost or that needs replacing is music to Apple's bottom line.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can get Bluetooth devices that your phone will connect to that you can plug into your dated car audio system...

thadclay

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
When they said courage I laughed at loud. It didn't make sense to say that. I don't get why everyone thinks this is a money grab by Apple. Looks like they needed the space to do stuff internally in the 7. I just wish that they included wireless headphones instead of the lightning ones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods