Couragegate

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't care! I don't listen to music and charge the device at the same time now so there won't be an adjustment for me to make. No I will not. "Could" is not the same as "will". I remember when I could drive up to a gas station and have the attendant pump my gas, check the oil level and wipe my windshield clean. I "disliked" the transition from full service to self service. Now, I understand how much better self service is and I appreciate the transition. Change is inevitable, whether we like it or not. You're right. It's not. It's the move of a billion dollar company who happens to sell the most acclaimed smartphone in all the world. Anyway, you're clearly not open to accepting a disagreeing viewpoint so with that I'll say, "have a good evening"...

You see... In NJ its still full service. :p

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I completely agree with your post. I haven't seen the dongle to comment on it, but I'll check Google for that. Otherwise, exactly. I guess for the interim, the iPhone SE will be the last new one of those (iPhones) for me.
Actually I picked up a 6S 128 with 10 month factory warranty for less than the price of a new SE 64GB. Going to flip my 128GB iPhone 6 next week.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a problem with the headphone jack taken out. I have been very happy with my Bluetooth headphones. Really haven't had any problems with connectivity. I am however excited about the stereo speakers. My iPad Pro sounds amazing, now if my new 7 plus could sound half as awesome that would be a huge win in my book.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Let it go. Bluetooth is what it is. Period. Good job Apple.

I know its done, but I'm just baffled by how everyone is just accepting this. The analog headphones everyone is speaking are capable of delivering high quality audio. Also, not everyone wants to have to charge their headphones just to be able to use them.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I know its done, but I'm just baffled by how everyone is just accepting this. The analog headphones everyone is speaking are capable of delivering high quality audio. Also, not everyone wants to have to charge their headphones just to be able to use them.
Agreed. The execution could have been better. Better dongle, adapter that would allow charging and listening at the same time and lower priced Air Pods would all have been nice. And yes not calling a move - designed to increase the height of the wall by a couple of feet around the fruit orchard and padding up the profit margins a bit more - Courage would have been great. Call a spade a spade but don't call it courageous!

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
It would appear that this is a fine example of making a "mountain out of a mole hill", but I understand that everyone will differ with opinion. I personally can't see any real logic behind the move outside of the push for more proprietarily licensed accessories driven by the lightning port/cable. It didn't really provide any enhancement to the design or size of the phone in any meaningful way, and seems to have simply made room for their haptic home button feedback engine (which is fine, since the home button is something Apple clings onto so vigorously).

At the end of the day, there are lots of options on the market if the iPhone doesn't tickle your fancy just right. I have some nice headphones I use occasionally with my iPhone, and I'll still use them with the provided adapter. I personally don't have strong feelings one way or another about it, just like I didn't when they moved to the lightning cable itself for charging and accessories so many years ago.

If it really bothers you though, thankfully you have such a large range of competitive devices on the market to choose from, and these days, a large portion of them will do everything you want a modern smart phone to do as well as the next one does. You just have to pick which new toys are more worthy of your investment I suppose.

steelrain82

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I heard they're doing really well too. Moto Z has just been killing it.

Edit: Android has a sea of devices. If you don't like Android A you get Android B. Just like that, majority gave the Moto Z the middle finger like everyone expected they would and went with oh-well-any-other-choice. With Apple its bang or bust. You either accept the change or abandon ship. Since I firmly believe that Apple needs a shake-up, I'm hoping that this will be the catalyst. The company has gone a bit out of control as of late and completely lost touch with its roots.
I don't honestly know if this is the shake up that they needed. They have been playing catch up to android features for a few years. I'm not a fan of wireless headphones (all the Bluetooth issues, I know things will probably get better), however losing the audio jack is the wrong choice in apples current state. Will the phone still sell like hotcakes? Sure.

The moto z as mentioned is jack free as well and provides the dongle also. However, the moto z also provides moto mods to add to the battery life, jbl speaker, and other mods. Is the camera iphone quality? Probably not, but it has lots of universal support from 3rd party in regards to headphones (USB c) and mods.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I mean I'm not trying to argue with your opinion on it, that is yours to own for better or worse. I was just pointing out that it wasn't really following the time line you were reflecting, and the reviews of those devices were generally pretty positive within the markets they were sold.

Also, other companies taking pot shots at each other is nothing new really.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I mean I'm not trying to argue with your opinion on it, that is yours to own for better or worse. I was just pointing out that it wasn't really following the time line you were reflecting, and the reviews of those devices were generally pretty positive within the markets they were sold.

Thanks for your input, my timeline was longer than you thought. I'm referring of pre-iPhone era. Dongles were very normal back then. And, again, very hated. For a good reason, they sucked.

Seriously, as true back then, it is today there is no reason for this stupidity in design nuances. There is no need for internal hardware so important to forgo a very respected and tried and true part of any computing device today. Audio was hard to come by on early computers (for reference, research the Adlib card and Sound Blaster from VERY early on computers) Once it arrived in full force, and what Apple took advantage of in the original iPod and eventually iPhone there was no letting go of it. Apple wants to change it in ways too many folks do not want. Here on this forum, I may be among the minority. But in the rest of the World, it's very apparent Apple has gone wrong. I chose here to voice my dislike of this move. Some agree, others do not. But as I see it, those that don't agree have nothing to lose either way. Seriously, nothing at all. Those that agree lose out big time. That's not a fair comparison, not fair by any measure of truth or reality.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Oil has been used for thousands of years and yet, some people are trying to force us to use something else.

Since when was Oil removed 100% from the cars you love to drive? Oil has limited appeal, sure, but there's plenty of time and no car company before recently has given up oil completely. A few have started out of the blue with zero oil from day 1, sure. But all the originals will flow into it slowly to make sure it 1. works. 2. is accepted 3. WORKS! 4. and people don't backlash. Apple didn't do that. They threw the baby out with the bath water completely and without remorse. I think they will remorse eventually. As others have also stated, the "oil" comparison is kinda off center and doesn't match this problem well. Audio jacks are not a problem to end users. Use them, or don't. Those that prefer would also prefer they stick around. To those that don't use them, there is no loss to them in being there. Like a few Twitter posts have jested "why not just put super glue in the port if you don't want it?" It's an argument of those with nothing to lose, and those who will lose out period. Very unfair.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I suppose that's one way to look at it, but another way would be comparing it to a likeness of when automotive manufacturers began removing tape players from cars. Certain people were up in arms, most people didn't care, and some people didn't even notice as they never used them to begin with. It takes all kinds really, and you're not at fault for being displeased by the move, just like those people weren't wrong for being upset about a missing tape deck. In modern times though, a tape deck would be viewed as something archaic and having an option on a new car these days would be laughable really. Apple made the move, and regardless of how we view it now, we all know that analog connections like that are quickly being phased out of all things (especially in the automotive industry), and at the rate smart phones move in terms of technology, in a few years the missing headphone jack will be a non-issue to most consumers (hell, it might already be that way now honestly).

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site

You have a good opinion. Thanks for the input, and please keep up with ideas. I'm at odds with negativity toward this ATM, so thanks for your understanding.

P.S. the missing jack is not a non-issue. There's more out there complaining than just the few here.... ;) Plus those "other" phones without a jack were not high selling devices. Which is an indicator... Like said before, I could see the "7" without a jack, but the "7 Plus" (this forum BTW) has no reason to be without it IMHO. No good reason at all. There's plenty of room for it. It seems to me that Apple wanted to sell more high end wireless devices than support the end user 100%. That's not good. Many agree....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markspa...hone-jack-isnt-music-to-my-ears/#134c8724c4f2

https://www.techinasia.com/apples-courageous-headphone-change

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea.../iphone-no-headphone-jack-user-hostile-stupid

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple...-people-hate-the-tech-industry-205324013.html

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...ys-everyone-except-apple-20160627-gptaxb.html

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro