Two disappointments

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm excited for the new phone. Cannot pick between jet black or matte black. Both look awesome. I was just a little disappointed to see no Apple Pencil support and that the screen was essentially the same as the 6s plus.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
No need for a pencil, as the iOS ecosystem doesn't work that way. Plus the screen is higher dynamic and colors, so it is different. Higher resolution wouldn't have any benefit. My biggest disappointment is the audio jack. I've used dongles before, and they suck. Apple wants to rule audio, and are acting greedy in regards to well established standards. Just like there's no reason to get rid of wheels on cars, there's no good reason to be without an audio jack. None. No excuses.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
My finger is my Pencil.

I am happy with the Keynote and what is going to be out. But looking forward to the 7s version already!!! lol

j_squared

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
No need for a pencil, as the iOS ecosystem doesn't work that way. Plus the screen is higher dynamic and colors, so it is different. Higher resolution wouldn't have any benefit. My biggest disappointment is the audio jack. I've used dongles before, and they suck. Apple wants to rule audio, and are acting greedy in regards to well established standards. Just like there's no reason to get rid of wheels on cars, there's no good reason to be without an audio jack. None. No excuses.

The audio jack takes up a significant amount of space in the internals of the phone. Space that Apple probably put to better use. There are pros/cons to the move, but it's necessary to push the industry forward.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
The audio jack takes up a significant amount of space in the internals of the phone. Space that Apple probably put to better use. There are pros/cons to the move, but it's necessary to push the industry forward.
Space? Um, yeah. I could maybe see that in the 7, but not the 7 plus. They made the haptic engine bigger, so we could get numb fingers from all the vibrating? How about making that stronger yet smaller? Apple's choice was short sighted.

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey high resolution would have been awesome. 2k videos on the note were insane! It's crazy that we have a phone we can take 4K video but don't even get 1/4 of the resolution.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site

Push the industry forward huh? Perhaps.

Or maybe it was to market a bunch of proprietary stuff that is solely associated with the lightning cable, which no other smart phone manufacturer uses (unlike the industry standard 3.5mm jack), making the patent on the connection method much more valuable as 3rd party accessory creators have to pony up some cash to get into the iPhone accessory arena.

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Push the industry forward huh? Perhaps.

Or maybe it was to market a bunch of proprietary stuff that is solely associated with the lightning cable, which no other smart phone manufacturer uses (unlike the industry standard 3.5mm jack), making the patent on the connection method much more valuable as 3rd party accessory creators have to pony up some cash to get into the iPhone accessory arena.

They know they can and so they did. The new lightning port caused quite a stir when it came out. People complained and now you can get all sorts of different cables etc. they know phone accessory manufacturers are going to go crazy over this stuff. It is much easier to make cases etc for Apple because there are less options. Less variation in the process is good for manufacturing.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Apple will never rule audio, Apple rules mainstream. Audio was and is ruled by companies most people have never heard of. I was disappointed to find out Phonak Audeo stopped making earphones when mine bit the dust. I'm using a Fiio X3 for my music, due to the fact that it has a 10 band equalizer and two microSD card slots, and I have 2 256GB microSD cards so I can have my music is .wav files. Yes, I'm an audiophile, that's why I know Apple will never rule audio.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I just don't really see a use case for Apple Pencil on iPhone, even the Plus. I'm sure we'll see a better screen upgrade next year. I'm fine with better color right now.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I didn't think I would see  pencil support because they want to keep the iPad and its features separate from the iPhone. I use my fingers for my pencil on my iPhone and I do have the  pencil for my iPad Pro.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
They know they can and so they did. The new lightning port caused quite a stir when it came out. People complained and now you can get all sorts of different cables etc. they know phone accessory manufacturers are going to go crazy over this stuff. It is much easier to make cases etc for Apple because there are less options. Less variation in the process is good for manufacturing.

It's good for Apple. Most of the things corporations do are largely in part to the benefits they receive from such changes. I'm sure the market will adapt just fine, and as consumers, we will just move with the market as we always do. I'm still on the fence on whether there are any real logical benefits to the consumer right now with it, but like they kind of implied in the keynote, they are probably years ahead in the chess game that is consumer products, so they have their reasons, whether we ever understand them or not.

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I listen to music over the speakers more than I do through headphones, so the killing of the audio jack comes to my advantage that I would get better speakers when listening to music or watching videos. Their changes have always appeal to some, and some hate the changes and overall we keep buying them and getting used to them. Just give it time and everything will settle in. Haha

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I listen to music over the speakers more than I do through headphones, so the killing of the audio jack comes to my advantage that I would get better speakers when listening to music or watching videos. Their changes have always appeal to some, and some hate the changes and overall we keep buying them and getting used to them. Just give it time and everything will settle in. Haha

Looking at how and where they upgraded/added speakers on the phone, I doubt it had much to do with the removal of the headphone jack. My best guess, right now, is that the haptic home button addition had more to do with it as the haptic touch feedback engine itself changed in shape/size, and would have required rearrangement within the already limited internal space.

You can pretty much see it here in the picture (which is where the headphone jack internal hardware would have been).

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 11.28.50 PM.png

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Eliminating the jack probably helps make the phone water resistant. I have no disappointments, but I'm not all that wowed either. I do like the new camera features.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Eliminating the jack probably helps make the phone water resistant. I have no disappointments, but I'm not all that wowed either. I do like the new camera features.

Sony was doing water resistant headphone jacks on their walkman devices like 25 years ago, so the technology to safe guard 3.5mm audio jacks against water has been in place for some time. I don't think it had as much to do with that as it did their desire to add more inside for other features without having to expand the device size specs at all.

Baltiervaan

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
im disappointed about the screen.. if the screen res is 1080p on ip7 and push more the water resistance (coz i always got caught in the rain in middle of my hiking and riding my bike) then i will really be a happy kid.

iOSConvert2k14

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
The elimination of the jack means little to me because of the included adapter. Beyond that, my car has Bluetooth and a direct USB connection so I won't miss the headphone jack. I am beyond excited about the water resistance rating. Way back in the earlier years, I dropped my (then) new iPhone 4S into the sink and completely ruined it. Should this happen to this new phone, I would be, more than likely, safe.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods