Two disappointments

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
How are we going to charge the phone and use headphone to listen to music at the same time? Unnecessary hassle to say the least.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
How are we going to charge the phone and use headphone to listen to music at the same time? Unnecessary hassle to say the least.

The lightning port is capable of sending both an data/audio signal and receiving a charge via the same port, so I imagine it's only a matter of time before there is a dual use adapter that allows for both simultaneously.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Of course. I'm sure there will be adapters and for the simple act of listening to music at night while charging the phone I will be required to fork out more cash for an adapter.

See that's my point, there are many other water resistant phones with the headphone jack that don't require you to change your daily usage habits or spend additional money on something that you could easily misplace.

Anyway, overall there are some nice improvements. But the headphone jack is a little difficult to swallow.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Of course. I'm sure there will be adapters and for the simple act of listening to music at night while charging the phone I will be required to fork out more cash for an adapter.

See that's my point, there are many other water resistant phones with the headphone jack that don't require you to change your daily usage habits or spend additional money on something that you could easily misplace.

Anyway, overall there are some nice improvements. But the headphone jack is a little difficult to swallow.

I personally don't believe the removal of the headphone jack had anything to do with water proofing, especially since water proofing 3.5mm jacks has been done efficiently since the early 90's.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

I personally don't believe the removal of the headphone jack had anything to do with water proofing, especially since water proofing 3.5mm jacks has been done efficiently since the early 90's.

I think so too. What irks me is that it might've been result of Apple's obsession with slim devices. I'd rather have a few centimetres thicker with a headphone jack.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I think so too. What irks me is that it might've been result of Apple's obsession with slim devices. I'd rather have a few centimetres thicker with a headphone jack.

I posted it earlier in this thread, but the more I look at the internal design, and the location of where the previous 3.5mm hardware was, I'm almost convinced now that it was a move to make room for their home button taptic feedback engine, especially given how much Apple values the home button vs. essentially any other feature on the device over the years (as it is one of the last straggler pieces from the original iPhone that is still somewhat in place).

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I posted it earlier in this thread, but the more I look at the internal design, and the location of where the previous 3.5mm hardware was, I'm almost convinced now that it was a move to make room for their home button taptic feedback engine, especially given how much Apple values the home button vs. essentially any other feature on the device over the years (as it is one of the last straggler pieces from the original iPhone that is still somewhat in place).

You might have a point there. The new home button sounds interesting. I for one would want Apple to stick with the home button.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Apple will never rule audio, Apple rules mainstream. Audio was and is ruled by companies most people have never heard of. I was disappointed to find out Phonak Audeo stopped making earphones when mine bit the dust. I'm using a Fiio X3 for my music, due to the fact that it has a 10 band equalizer and two microSD card slots, and I have 2 256GB microSD cards so I can have my music is .wav files. Yes, I'm an audiophile, that's why I know Apple will never rule audio.

Interesting that the industry gives Apple full credit for saving the Music Industry from the digital revolution. And iTunes still sells more digital music than most others. Yeah, I'd say the rule it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung has the jack and the same water resistance. So that's a poor excuse.

That depends on what else they do with it. I don't see any problems with it. Don't understand your big beef! The jack is gone and won't be back no matter how loudly you yell. Adapt or go elsewhere for your phone needs. But I see Android following suit very soon doing the same. Get used to it!

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Looking at how and where they upgraded/added speakers on the phone, I doubt it had much to do with the removal of the headphone jack. My best guess, right now, is that the haptic home button addition had more to do with it as the haptic touch feedback engine itself changed in shape/size, and would have required rearrangement within the already limited internal space.

You can pretty much see it here in the picture (which is where the headphone jack internal hardware would have been).

View attachment 111146

Oh i understand the removal of the jack wasn't to make way for a better speaker system. I was just saying that killing the jack isn't a deal breaker for me because of its improved speakers and i listen to music this way than using headphones.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Been wireless for years and would not consider going back. Years ago you had to pony up $200 + for BT headphones that were top tier... That has definitely changed and you can find numerous one at decent pricing

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
You might have a point there. The new home button sounds interesting. I for one would want Apple to stick with the home button.

I too would like to see the "home button" stay. I've used haptic sudo buttons before, and they work amazingly. So I have only a slight problem with the new "button" on the 7, that is the haptic engine in the phone was too big and was the major reason for the removal of the audio jack. The 6s had a haptic engine and still had the jack, so I'm unsure why this big change. I truly believe the jack could have remained on the 7 Plus, kind of like a phone call the LeEco where the smaller version has no jack, but the larger version does have a jack.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Been wireless for years and would not consider going back. Years ago you had to pony up $200 + for BT headphones that were top tier... That has definitely changed and you can find numerous one at decent pricing

What would bother you if the jack was still there? Probably not. I love wireless myself, but also use wired connection from time to time and hate losing that as an option. "I want fewer options" said no one ever.

Nargg

Banned
Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
That depends on what else they do with it. I don't see any problems with it. Don't understand your big beef! The jack is gone and won't be back no matter how loudly you yell. Adapt or go elsewhere for your phone needs. But I see Android following suit very soon doing the same. Get used to it!

I'm not the only one yelling. Lots of good folks are upset about this. More than you think.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
What would bother you if the jack was still there? Probably not. I love wireless myself, but also use wired connection from time to time and hate losing that as an option. "I want fewer options" said no one ever.
I understand this logic for sure. Apple gave no real compelling reason to remove the headphone jack. If the change were market driven that would make more sense, but for now there's no reason to cut the headphone jack.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

FYI .....its Apple thats following suit on no headphone jack.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR