Preorder Question

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
I've never quite understood the value behind standing in a mile long line for hours. Last year was actually the first time I went to an actual Apple Store to get an iPhone and the only reason I did was to take advantage of the iPhone Upgrade Program. I had an 8:00 reservation and was inside the store at exactly that time with my dedicated store employee. The line for people without reservations had barely moved when I walked out of the store a few minutes later with my new iPhone.

Some people just like the hype and the atmosphere of such an event. I sat in line for the first couple of iPhones, and given the newness of that kind of hype surrounding a phone back then, it was pretty fun in some ways, but I'd never do it again now. I've seen groups go out and camp for the device, and if you had a group you could have fun with in that regard, I could see the appeal, even if I wouldn't personally enjoy it at all.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Some people just like the hype and the atmosphere of such an event. I sat in line for the first couple of iPhones, and given the newness of that kind of hype surrounding a phone back then, it was pretty fun in some ways, but I'd never do it again now. I've seen groups go out and camp for the device, and if you had a group you could have fun with in that regard, I could see the appeal, even if I wouldn't personally enjoy it at all.

I'm a pretty social guy but none of that sounds appealing to me. Maybe my age is just showing.

qnet

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Yep, as long as you reserve before inventory sells out. I imagine the jet black will sell out pretty quickly.

This answered my question. I usually pre order and have it delivered, but I will be at work on that Friday. I'd like to preorder tomorrow and have it for pickup at the store. I hope all goes smoothly.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I want to touch that jet black phone before deciding. That's a main reason I am probably going to pre-order with a reservation for store pick up. Then if I change my mind, I can go with a different model.

shadowboxer8

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site

The iphone 4 launch was craziest, most fun, most exhausting product event I been to in my life. Like I mentioned before, I stood in line at my local apple store (that's located in a mall) for 11 or 12 hours. I was on the morning, afternoon, and evening news that day. To this day NO iphone launch in my area (Virginia) has had as many people show up like they did for the iphone 4. The apple store in located on the second floor of my local mall and the pre order and non pre order line for the iphone 4 filled the ENTIRE second floor and almost going down to the first floor. I really did bond with the people I was in line with because we were in the non pre order line and our line moved like 3 steps every hour it seemed. I was really lucky to get a phone that day. By the end of it I feel like I had known the people I was in line with for YEARS ha. But the other cool part is Apple actually feed EVERYONE breakfast, lunch, and dinner while standing in line.Food included doughnuts and fruits, water, and coffee in the morning, Pizza Hut for lunch, and Smokey Bones for dinner. I don't think many apple stores do stuff like that at launches my my store did which I thought was very cool of them to do.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know/remember if Apple charges you to pre-order a phone for in store pickup? Or do they just hold one for you and you pay at the store? I can't remember and it was only a year ago that I did it. Getting old ....

alex.shimp

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
My store in Tampa had Chick Fi La breakfast brought in and had water and coffee for everyone for the iPhone 4 launch. Also if I remember correct I reserved for pick up my 6s plus and paid for it when I picked it up

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I LOVE to preorder. the past few launches I have preordered and I always got mine on launch day. this year I will be attempting to utilize the upgrade program, which in turn may cause me to have to actually leave my home (god forbid!) and collect my purchase at a retailer. none the less, if all goes well, I should still have my device on launch day!

as long as youre online and ready to go at 12:01 PST there is a great chance your iPhone will arrive on launch day. it will also tell you (usually) when selecting the product when the estimated arrival date will be.

happy shopping!

gmabev

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I was there too for the 4. It was so much fun. Chick fil a breakfast. Had so much fun talking and interacting with all the other crazies in line. Ha!

erwaso

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I LOVE to preorder. the past few launches I have preordered and I always got mine on launch day. this year I will be attempting to utilize the upgrade program, which in turn may cause me to have to actually leave my home (god forbid!) and collect my purchase at a retailer. none the less, if all goes well, I should still have my device on launch day!

as long as youre online and ready to go at 12:01 PST there is a great chance your iPhone will arrive on launch day. it will also tell you (usually) when selecting the product when the estimated arrival date will be.

happy shopping!

Preorder on apples site and it arrived at your doorstep on launch day?

MTapester

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I Pre Ordered my Iphone 6 two years ago and showed up late on launch day....but my question now is .... Has anyone every tried to use the employee purchase site to pre order. My wife gets a discount though work and normally we use it... quite a bit....but never to pre order. It was listed when the site was up earlier today.

appleGuy819

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Preorder just to be sure that you get the phone you want. Especially if you are looking to get a Plus version. Those are usually very popular compared to the 6, 6S, and 7. Meaning that they may not be the easiest versions to find in store.

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
yes in the past it has always arrive on launch day. rather late as my UPS man likes to come and bring my apple purchases at LITERALLY "end of day"

this year I had trouble accessing both the website and the mobile app until around 3:05 EST so my delivery date is 9/26-10/3 but I have faith that it will arrive sooner!

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It took the model I wanted only a couple minutes to sell out, BUT my back order is only 6 to 8 days (I ordered RIGHT as the Apple Store app came online, unfortunately it was several minutes after Telus and AT&T started selling) Hopefully Apple will over deliver!

sunnysideup22125

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I've never quite understood the value behind standing in a mile long line for hours. Last year was actually the first time I went to an actual Apple Store to get an iPhone and the only reason I did was to take advantage of the iPhone Upgrade Program. I had an 8:00 reservation and was inside the store at exactly that time with my dedicated store employee. The line for people without reservations had barely moved when I walked out of the store a few minutes later with my new iPhone.

Standing in line used to be fun. You would bond with your fellow crazy line sitters. Last year I botched the preorder because of a billing issue with AT&T. I didn't intend to get in the line so early but I was driving past the store and I saw the line beginning to form and I thought hey why not. However, even though I wasn't very far back I didn't get what I wanted. So lesson learned no more line waiting for me.