• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Newsletter — sign up now! Learn More
    It was a really important note i have and i thought i clicked something by accident. The text on my notes turned into ‘a file’ and it couldnt be opened. Tried to open it in the pc but nothing worked. Please help! 😭
    Attached Thumbnails My notes converted into an octet-byte file! What to do?-0c9d4e2e-5a76-4c6c-acdd-7b1109202d0c.png  
    04-12-2018 07:41 PM
    FWIW, the same thing happened to me on two notes. Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution. Needless to say, I am not happy...
    04-12-2018 08:09 PM
    All your notes, or just that one page?
    04-12-2018 10:07 PM
    Try opening in iCloud as it should have ability to understand the Notes file format. Before that could also try to export via the Share option to email, Pages, or another app that can read the Notes file content.
    04-13-2018 05:55 AM
    Try opening in iCloud as it should have ability to understand the Notes file format. Before that could also try to export via the Share option to email, Pages, or another app that can read the Notes file content.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that didn't help for me. My issue was that I shared a web link to a Note, which gets stored as an object within the note. Two of my notes stored this way, which used to be fine, show that there should be a web link, but the object does nothing when you try to open it. I was hoping that I could use Notes as a replacement for Evernote, but I can't if something like this happens.

Hopefully that helps the OP, though.
    Trees likes this.
    04-13-2018 09:52 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that didn't help for me. My issue was that I shared a web link to a Note, which gets stored as an object within the note. Two of my notes stored this way, which used to be fine, show that there should be a web link, but the object does nothing when you try to open it. I was hoping that I could use Notes as a replacement for Evernote, but I can't if something like this happens.

Hopefully that helps the OP, though.
    Maybe there is a way to copy the object and save it elsewhere and see if it can be opened in a browser? I'm assuming that the object's filename still has a file format that is recognized/readable by a browser, e.g. .html. That way if the object can be opened in a browser, the URL could be recovered, and the Note reconstructed with the links you originally intended. Although, trying to open the Note in iCloud may essentially be the same approach. Just some random thoughts that might help.
    04-14-2018 07:52 AM
    This is what it looks like on the Mac:

My notes converted into an octet-byte file! What to do?-screen-shot-2018-04-14-11.14.11-am.png

That thing that says "Loading" never changes. Double-clicking does nothing. Right-click just say "URL-". Copying and pasting into the browser address bar just pastes nothing.

Two different notes, both the same thing. There was once a valid web object in there, that's for sure.
    04-14-2018 10:18 AM
    That's unfortunate. I imagine even after changing the file type to .html that does not work?

As an experiment, I went to www.apple.com in Safari, then used Share to add to a new Note. In the new Note I could see the Apple logo, and below that www.apple.com I then used the Share option to Save to Files\On My Phone\Pages.

Opening the file in Pages shows "URL object text" on the first line, and "Apple" on the second line. "URL object text" is the name I gave the new Note, and "Apple" is where you'd expect to see the URL. The "Apple" is just text. Looks like the URL was stripped out or did not get exported properly when Sharing from Notes to Pages.

I know that's not the same problem that you and Cyrilla_99 are having, but is a data point that maybe will help with debugging further. If you have Apple Care, may help to contact Apple to see if they can offer some ideas for how to fix.
    04-15-2018 08:54 AM
    I'm curious how this happened to begin with.
    04-17-2018 03:53 PM
    I'm curious how this happened to begin with.
    You and me both.

Trying to decide between just sticking with Evernote and hope that they make it long-term, or switch to OneNote... or maybe try Google Keep and just deal with the fact that there is no Mac app.
    04-17-2018 04:02 PM