Extra texting symbols in contact notes

luweez

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
I have an IPhone 6S and I use the notes section of many of my contacts.

I’ll enter some info, add a space, add more info, maybe a few lines and then close it.

When I open any one of my contacts and read it’s notes... spaces have disappeared and have been replaced with
N\ or any combination of these two characters. And of course it syncs across my devices.

It’s been bugging me for months if not a few years.

Anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it ( aside from what is occurring to me this very moment… Don’t add spaces)??

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Do you sync with Exchange? I have contacts that are in iCloud and spaces and other characters all sync and look fine, but the contacts from Exchange are sometimes messed up. The translation to Exchange messes with some characters.

luweez

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Here’s a cut and paste segment and it’s a doozy:

3 line items:

7w0a382\\\\\\\NN\\\\\\\N\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\N\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\N\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\NiPad 4343\\\

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Here’s a cut and paste segment and it’s a doozy:

3 line items:

7w0a382\\\\\\\NN\\\\\\\N\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\N\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\N\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\NiPad 4343\\\

Have you been syncing anything to Notes from your computer? Have you tried swiping Notes out of multitasking? I've never seen that.

luweez

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
To be clear do you mean the iPhone app like Contacts, Reminders, and Notes? And by syncing to my computer do you mean as opposed to just cloud?
If so I use the hell out of notes and actually I do both, mostly cloud.
And if so, good call

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Have you been syncing anything to Notes from your computer? Have you tried swiping Notes out of multitasking? I've never seen that.

To be clear, the OP is talking about the notes field in individual contacts in the iOS stock Contacts app, not the iOS stock Notes app.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
To be clear do you mean the iPhone app like Contacts, Reminders, and Notes? And by syncing to my computer do you mean as opposed to just cloud?
If so I use the hell out of notes and actually I do both, mostly cloud.
And if so, good call

I thought you refered to the Notes app. But you mean in the Notes section of a contact card? I never had issues there. No idea what may cause that.

luweez

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
I thought you refered to the Notes app. But you mean in the Notes section of a contact card? I never had issues there. No idea what may cause that.

Yes I mean notes section of the contacts - and now I have to re-read the dang thread. I think the last mssg is know one knows why I get /N in that notes section

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes I mean notes section of the contacts - and now I have to re-read the dang thread. I think the last mssg is know one knows why I get /N in that notes section

See this forum thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/notes-from-syncing-has-weird-font-and-formatting.2060112/

This is probably why somebody asked if you are syncing with Exchange. I assume not. However, that thread suggests that maybe it's because of unicode characters in the notes field? So, are you putting any special characters into the Notes, such as a bullet, emoji, etc.? Are you just typing information in, or cutting and pasting from someplace else, which may use a different typeface or font or something?

It may be worth calling AppleCare or getting a Genius Bar appointment to see if Apple can sort this out for you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice