Need to re-enter login credentials on numerous apps

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Recently I've noticed that I have to re-enter my login credentials on numerous apps on my iPhone 6S. Apps such as Amazon, Mint, BOA, and others.

Before I would just launch the app and my username and password would be saved and it would take me right to my account without the need to log in.

I'm currently running iOS 10.2; I don't suspect the iOS version to be the issue as this has just started happening within the last few days.

Anybody having this same issue? It's annoying having to re-enter my credentials every time I launch an app. It may be more secure but only I use my iPhone and have Touch ID enabled so nobody else can use it and nobody else knows my Apple ID password or my iPhone's passcode.

Please help.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It’s likely a matter of security. I know that some services will log you out of their apps after a period of time and require you to log back in.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it is only on iOS 10 ? because I have not seen this on iOS 9.3.3 Mind you it's always seemed a bit random, perhaps because I use two devices and some apps seem to get a bit confused when swapping back and forth. I do think that having to enter my credentials every time l open an app will be a miserable experience !!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
10.3.3 here and it happens to me about every month-ish. It's not the same apps every time so I'm thinking it's just a "we're logging you out because it's been a while" feature.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
This never happens to me in apps (well, except for Lastpass, but that's by design - it requests a new login after a period of time), but it happens to me occasionally with a couple of email accounts and every once in a while I get that request to re-login in to my Apple ID (which is not an iCloud email address) - though not as often as with iOS 8 and iOS 9.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Amazon never asks me to reenter my login info, Mint does on occasion even though it's set with a fingerprint, Ally and Discover both also occasionally have me reenter my logins and redo my fingerprints. I expect banking and Mint type of apps to ask me to do that, but not apps like Amazon.

If it were me, I'd do encrypted backups of your phone, factory reset it, restore from backup, and then update iOS from 10.2 to 10.3.3.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently running iOS 10.2; I don't suspect the iOS version to be the issue as this has just started happening within the last few days.

I agree. I don't think the OS Version has anything to do with it. But why are you still on 10.2? Several months ago, I had about 5 or so apps behave as if it were the first time I ever used them. On some, I was greeted with the Welcome screen. My WAFF weather app had me enter back in my locations and reset all my preferences. Even the stock messages app showed a welcome screen, as if I was using it for the first time. No clue what caused that. But it hasn't happened again in several months.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank u all for your replies. Been busy so I didn't have time to come back and post again until now.

For apps such as BOA and other financial type apps I can understand having to login every time but even so, before with my BOA app I would use my Touch ID. Now I have to enter my login credentials every single time and te-enable Touch ID as it is no longer enable.

Amazon never asked me to login. I would open the app and I would be good to go, now I have to login over and over again. Noticed the same for Amazon Prime Video app.

Whatsapp has been doing something similar. Every time I open the app I have to enter my mobile number like it was the very first time using the app.

This is all very odd and not normal. Unless recent updates to the individual apps are now being implemented where a user has to login every time, but I see that as being very annoying and not convenient.

I haven't updated to the latest iOS version simply because I haven't seen the need to. My iPhone had been working fine all this time up until recently when all this started happening.

I will try to update to the latest iOS but again don't see how that will help as the latest iOS version update doesn't mention anything related to the issue I am having.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I haven't updated to the latest iOS version simply because I haven't seen the need to. My iPhone had been working fine all this time up until recently when all this started happening.

There's no better reason to update an operating system than receiving patches that may fix a security issue. This seems to be an auth issue, or you have corrupted files that are not being allowed to be read from or saved to (possibly the file that saves your logins is corrupted). The only way to either fix it or rule that out is to factory reset.

I will try to update to the latest iOS but again don't see how that will help as the latest iOS version update doesn't mention anything related to the issue I am having.

Apple does not always add every fix to the update logs.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
So would doing the following be the recommended steps:

Backup iPhone
Reset iPhone to factory settings
Restore iPhone from backup
Updating to latest iOS

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
So would doing the following be the recommended steps:

Backup iPhone
Reset iPhone to factory settings
Restore iPhone from backup
Updating to latest iOS

I'm not sure you can update iOS as the last step. It may update right after you reset, so keep in mind that you may or may not be able to reinstall from backup (compatibility).

Also too, if the issue gets somehow saved to your backup then you'll continue to have the problem. If it were me, i'd reinstall the apps you were having troubles with before you reinstall from backup. Check to ensure that the issue is gone before reinstalling your backup.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

So if I can't restore from backup, what about all my saved data, i.e. Contacts, Notes, etc...?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

So if I can't restore from backup, what about all my saved data, i.e. Contacts, Notes, etc...?

You'll still have those things. But be sure you put your photos somewhere safe. On computer, in Dropbox or somewhere. Be sure your notes are iCloud Notes. Your contacts should also be iCloud. But if they're Google, you can still retrieve them.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

As long as your contacts, notes, reminders etc are all stored in iCloud they should be fine. But do make a backup of your photos and save them somewhere other than iCloud. Photos in iCloud are not saved when you reset.

When you do your backup, ensure that you are performing an encrypted backup in iTunes to your local drive and in iCloud (encrypted backups are not done by default). That typically saves your WiFi settings, health data, website history and your saved passwords (although with your current problem I dunno about the passwords). It will not save TouchID settings.

Edit: Here's info about encrypted backups; https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
As long as your contacts, notes, reminders etc are all stored in iCloud they should be fine. But do make a backup of your photos and save them somewhere other than iCloud. Photos in iCloud are not saved when you reset.

When you do your backup, ensure that you are performing an encrypted backup in iTunes to your local drive and in iCloud (encrypted backups are not done by default). That typically saves your WiFi settings, health data, website history and your saved passwords (although with your current problem I dunno about the passwords). It will not save TouchID settings.

Passwords in Keychain and Text Replacements should be OK as long as he's signed in to iCloud.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2