My 5 months old 6s showing 14% wear level

karthik rs

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys,
I m having a 5 months old 6s phone which is showing 14% wear level through some battery apps(battery life,battery life dr,etc) got through app store,i m an average user not hard user too easily sustaining 3 cycles per week.is that wear level of 14% is a normal degradation or some issue with my battery?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don’t know. Still, even though you’ve only had the device for 5 months, it is still almost 2 years old. Make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to have them test it for you.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I don’t know what the wear level must be in order to get a battery replacement by Apple. And I don’t know how long a battery should last.

But why would you assume there is something wrong with your battery in the first place?

Besides, those apps aren’t the most precise or trustworthy apps out there.

Apple software is the only one that can determine if you’re battery is okay or not.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
So, that means your battery should have finished it's 500 cycles in 41.666 months... but that would be if all your cycles were full cycles ,and I'll bet they're not. So maybe a little more wear than it should be.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
The new lithium batteries in iPhone have 750 cycle life. And for the OP, 20% wear or 80% capacity is when apple will replace, for a fee, your battery.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The new lithium batteries in iPhone have 750 cycle life. And for the OP, 20% wear or 80% capacity is when apple will replace, for a fee, your battery.

For a 5 month old iPhone, I will bet that they will replace for free under warranty, if the battery is truly that degraded.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I don’t believe Apple cares what capacity is left if the owner is willing to pay for the battery replacement. It’s a different story if the device is still under warranty and Apple is footing the bill.

I’m not sure where you’re seeing the 750 cycle life for any model of iPhone. Apple’s web site still states 500 cycles. https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/#mn_p

For a 5 month old iPhone, I will bet that they will replace for free under warranty, if the battery is truly that degraded.

Your iPhone is still under warranty so if you’ve lost 20% of your capacity already they’ll replace it free of charge.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Your iPhone is still under warranty so if you’ve lost 20% of your capacity already they’ll replace it free of charge.

Said "I believe" mostly because of this - if Apple finds water damage marks are set, for example, or some other physical damage, they may not replace the phone or battery free of charge.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I don’t believe Apple cares what capacity is left if the owner is willing to pay for the battery replacement. It’s a different story if the device is still under warranty and Apple is footing the bill.

I’m not sure where you’re seeing the 750 cycle life for any model of iPhone. Apple’s web site still states 500 cycles. https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/#mn_p

Ok, I was at  last wee because my battery was dying quicker than normal. Once they completed their diagnostic, they said my battery was good at 85%. I told the  rep that I was paying for a new battery and they said they wouldn't do it until the battery was down under 80%. I repeated that I was paying since my phone is out of warranty. She said that I wouldn't notice a difference at That state and that it won't be done. I left and here I am. They did some tweaks and such and my iPhone lasts longer.

Either I was given bad information or they won't change your battery even though you are paying for it. I did get some CinnaBon at least before the 20mils drive back from the  store.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I was at  last wee because my battery was dying quicker than normal. Once they completed their diagnostic, they said my battery was good at 85%. I told the  rep that I was paying for a new battery and they said they wouldn't do it until the battery was down under 80%. I repeated that I was paying since my phone is out of warranty. She said that I wouldn't notice a difference at That state and that it won't be done. I left and here I am. They did some tweaks and such and my iPhone lasts longer.

Either I was given bad information or they won't change your battery even though you are paying for it. I did get some CinnaBon at least before the 20mils drive back from the  store.

True story. I’m in the Netherlands and the same rules apply here too. Batteries don’t get replaced, even if you’re willing to pay, unless it meets the criteria.
You should be thankful. If the battery is gonna reach the replacement criteria in another 6 months, this means that you can use your new battery 6 months longer. They saved you money.

And great, thanks, now I WANT A CINNABON.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
True story. I’m in the Netherlands and the same rules apply here too. Batteries don’t get replaced, even if you’re willing to pay, unless it meets the criteria.
You should be thankful. If the battery is gonna reach the replacement criteria in another 6 months, this means that you can use your new battery 6 months longer. They saved you money.

And great, thanks, now I WANT A CINNABON.

Good at least I know it applies elsewhere. You are correct as well on 6 months more battery. Since the new iPhones come out near there I'll just get a new iPhone.

And don't do the Cinnabon, I regretted every icing lick off my fingers.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So, that means your battery should have finished it's 500 cycles in 41.666 months... but that would be if all your cycles were full cycles ,and I'll bet they're not. So maybe a little more wear than it should be.

It doesn't work that way. A charge cycle of 30% Plus a charge of 70% would equal a full charge cycle of 100%. So if it says 500 cycles, it is.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Even if the battery were at 79%, it would still last a long time. 80% doesn't mean it's a bad battery. It just may need charging more. You'll know when it's time. Whacky things start happening.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Even if the battery were at 79%, it would still last a long time. 80% doesn't mean it's a bad battery. It just may need charging more. You'll know when it's time. Whacky things start happening.

Actually what it means is at 100% charge only 79% or 80% capacity is being charged. There is a 20% loss of capacity. But we digress from the OP questioning.

iphone fan

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
My 6S is nine months old and those apps show my battery still at 99% so I'm not sure how accurate they are. My battery does still last like it did new though

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Can you say which apps you used ? the various apps I've tried do not have that function, (maybe they have to run from a new phone onwards ?). I can quite understand phone companies being a bit cagy with accurate information !!