Screen freezes

15obarclay

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
My over 1 year old iPhone 6s screen freezes at times then I have to lock and unlock it again to fix it. It doesn't go away until I do those things. Should I trade in the phone? I don't want it repaired because once it's got a fault I either put up with it or get rid of it

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If it were "me", I'd start from scratch. In other words, I would put the device in DFU mode and then have iTunes install a fresh copy of the latest iOS version. After that, I would set it up as new. It can be time-consuming, but to have a smooth working device is worth it for me, but again, that's Just Me, D...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My 6s Plus does that some. Started on iOS 10. I'll tilt it a certain way, then it's frozen. The only thing that works is to push the power button to put it asleep. Then push it again to wake. As long as that works, I'll pass on a restore as new. Way too much trouble.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
If it were "me", I'd start from scratch. In other words, I would put the device in DFU mode and then have iTunes install a fresh copy of the latest iOS version. After that, I would set it up as new. It can be time-consuming, but to have a smooth working device is worth it for me, but again, that's Just Me, D...

^^ I second this advice. Often times a factory reset can help you determine weather or not the phone has a hardware issue, or if there are corrupt system files. If you factory reset and no longer have an issue then you know it was file releated. If the issue persists after a factory reset then you know it may be time to take the phone in to the Apple store, or get a new phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
^^ I second this advice. Often times a factory reset can help you determine weather or not the phone has a hardware issue, or if there are corrupt system files. If you factory reset and no longer have an issue then you know it was file releated. If the issue persists after a factory reset then you know it may be time to take the phone in to the Apple store, or get a new phone.

Nope. Too much trouble for a small issue. It would take me 3 days to set up my phone again. The freeze is not that big a deal. The remedy is quick and easy. Not worth a restore at all. Not for me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Too much trouble for a small issue. It would take me 3 days to set up my phone again. The freeze is not that big a deal. The remedy is quick and easy. Not worth a restore at all. Not for me.

At some point, applying the workaround is going to become frustrating and the OP will demand that the device work as it should because glitches often occur at the most inopportune times.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
At some point, applying the workaround is going to become frustrating and the OP will demand that the device work as it should because glitches often occur at the most inopportune times.

It only happens like twice a week. Turn it off, back on. Fixed. Not worth 3 days set up. Not for me.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Rather than restore, try a Reset All Settings (Settings > General > Reset). Do NOT do the "Erase all content" option.

It'll be a bit of a pain to set everything up again (notifications, location services, etc.) but less of a hassle than a full restore. And it may solve your problem :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Rather than restore, try a Reset All Settings (Settings > General > Reset). Do NOT do the "Erase all content" option.

It'll be a bit of a pain to set everything up again (notifications, location services, etc.) but less of a hassle than a full restore. And it may solve your problem :)

For me, even that's more trouble than the issue itself. It may go away when I get around to updating to 10.2. But that may never happen until iOS 11.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Something similar happens to me with my 6s, except only with the Word Flow keyboard. One minute, I'll be swiping a text, then the next, the keyboard essentially freezes or disappears altogether. After some fumbling, it reappears like normal. Quite annoying.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Something similar happens to me with my 6s, except only with the Word Flow keyboard. One minute, I'll be swiping a text, then the next, the keyboard essentially freezes or disappears altogether. After some fumbling, it reappears like normal. Quite annoying.

I used to have that with 3rd party keyboards. It's better now. But this is the whole phone freezes. Home button doesn't work. Power button is only way out.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It only happens like twice a week. Turn it off, back on. Fixed. Not worth 3 days set up. Not for me.

Unless one purchases the extra warranty, anyone having this problem should want to know weather or not it's a hardware or software issue. By using a temporary fix you could use up your warranty time, and if that happens and you find out it was indeed a hardware issue then the customer is screwed and must either get a new phone or pay out of pocket for repair. Temporary band-aids should never be used for any extended length of time. For a 50 dollar phone perhaps.

Not sure who would need three days to set up a cell phone :laughing: From scratch I can do it in less than an hour.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Unless one purchases the extra warranty, anyone having this problem should want to know weather or not it's a hardware or software issue. By using a temporary fix you could use up your warranty time, and if that happens and you find out it was indeed a hardware issue then the customer is screwed and must either get a new phone or pay out of pocket for repair. Temporary band-aids should never be used for any extended length of time. For a 50 dollar phone perhaps.

Not sure who would need three days to set up a cell phone :laughing: From scratch I can do it in less than an hour.

It's software. It started with iOS 10. Never before then. I have more than you do on my phone that requires time to set up. Many log ins. Over 100 Launcher widgets, each with its own png icon. That alone would take the better part of the day. This is all if restored as new. Using the iCloud back up wouldn't take so long. You're just not as cool as I!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if this issue is tied to the "Raise to wake" feature. It seems to only happen when I tilt the phone back towards me almost upside down. Then when I raise it back up, it's frozen.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It's software. It started with iOS 10. Never before then. I have more than you do on my phone that requires time to set up. Many log ins. Over 100 Launcher widgets, each with its own png icon. That alone would take the better part of the day. This is all if restored as new. Using the iCloud back up wouldn't take so long. You're just not as cool as I!

You cannot know that 100% unless you factory reset. All of those none essential toys can wait for a few days while you test the phone for a day or two with only the default apps installed. Simply backup w/encryption before the reset, do the reset and run it with default apps for a few days, then re-install from backup. You'll have all of your passwords and everything else including your current settings. Then you'll know for 100% certain if it's a software issue.

Only the coolest people think of the smarter ways to test things. :cool:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You'll have all of your passwords and everything else including your current settings.

You won't have anything sent to iMessage in the time between the reset and the restore, though, or data in the health app from the time you were running between the reset and the restore. (It's too bad there isn't a way around that, btw.)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You cannot know that 100% unless you factory reset. All of those none essential toys can wait for a few days while you test the phone for a day or two with only the default apps installed. Simply backup w/encryption before the reset, do the reset and run it with default apps for a few days, then re-install from backup. You'll have all of your passwords and everything else including your current settings. Then you'll know for 100% certain if it's a software issue.

Only the coolest people think of the smarter ways to test things. :cool:

Just not worth the trouble. Not a big issue.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
You won't have anything sent to iMessage in the time between the reset and the restore, though, or data in the health app from the time you were running between the reset and the restore. (It's too bad there isn't a way around that, btw.)

Even though the health info is extremely important to me, it's not a life altering concern if I miss a few days.

Not exactly sure what you mean by not getting iMessage texts. Text messages via iMessage work fine after a factory reset. Unless you mean something else... or do I just need coffee? It's too early.... storm here in Alabama woke me up!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Not exactly sure what you mean by not getting iMessage texts. Text messages via iMessage work fine after a factory reset. Unless you mean something else... or do I just need coffee? It's too early.... storm here in Alabama woke me up!

Message history, both iMessage and text/SMS. If you receive Messages in the day or two you are running before you restore your backup, and then you reset and restore a backup from a couple of days ago, you will have lost the messages that you received between the backup and the restore. At least in my experience.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711