Do Not Disturb for texts?

cbreze

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I move between Android and iOS because I like both and the variety is nice. I just realized that at night when "do not disturb" is active (on my 6s)my contact texts don't come thru. My contact calls can come thru. Is this just the way it is? On my Android devices texts and calls are allowed thru if I have contacts enabled as such. I work with various 12 step recovery groups and need to be available 24/7 for certain folks and they prefer texting most of the time. Is there a setting I'm missing? Didn't see anything. Thanks

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
No, you have it correct. The setting is "do not disturb ". They allow calls in case of emergency. Otherwise it is a true do not disturb.

cbreze

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
No, you have it correct. The setting is "do not disturb ". They allow calls in case of emergency. Otherwise it is a true do not disturb.
OK, thanks Robert. Not sure what I'll do then. Don't want to miss texts but don't want to be woken by non sensical spam calls either or wrong numbers. For some reason I get a lot of calls that ring 2 or 3 times and stop. Robo-spams I'm guessing. In any case the do not disturb takes care of these. Wonder why they don't carry it over for texts? Seems a logical option.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
OK, thanks Robert. Not sure what I'll do then. Don't want to miss texts but don't want to be woken by non sensical spam calls either or wrong numbers. For some reason I get a lot of calls that ring 2 or 3 times and stop. Robo-spams I'm guessing. In any case the do not disturb takes care of these. Wonder why they don't carry it over for texts? Seems a logical option.

I agree with you.

One pain-in-the-neck workaround might be to set a custom text and ring tone for those contacts that you want to receive texts from, change your ringtone and default text tone to a silent tone when you go to sleep (if you search online, I think you can find a "silent" ringtone that is just no sound at all - if not, I have one), and then change the defaults to your preferred tones when you wake up.

It might be worthwhile to use Apple's iPhone feedback form to suggest a VIP contacts "do not disturb" override for the messaging app.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html#mn_p

cbreze

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
@doogald,
Yeah your right, that is kind of a pain, but thanks for the input. I like both platforms but man there's a lot of stuff Google just seems to have already figured out. Thanks for the link also
Don't know if it would make any difference but I can't use iMessage since so many people don't have it. The stock app is what I'm talking about.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I thought you could still get calls from people if they were listed in your favorites. Is that the case? And if so, would texts work the same way?

cbreze

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I thought you could still get calls from people if they were listed in your favorites. Is that the case? And if so, would texts work the same way?

Yes, favorites or contacts calls can be allowed thru. Not texts as far as what I'm finding.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
@doogald,
Yeah your right, that is kind of a pain, but thanks for the input. I like both platforms but man there's a lot of stuff Google just seems to have already figured out. Thanks for the link also
Don't know if it would make any difference but I can't use iMessage since so many people don't have it. The stock app is what I'm talking about.

Right, just to clarify, the stock Messages app does both SMS and iMessage conversations.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You can set any contact to emergency Bypass for text messages

Looking but not seeing this option

Ah, I never knew about this. This will solve your problem, I believe.

See iOS 10's Emergency Bypass Feature Forces Calls and Texts Through No Matter What

First off: Emergency Bypass goes through both Do Not Disturb mode and your phone’s silent switch, so you’ll only want to use this for potential big deal emergencies. You can also set it up for the phone ringtone or text messaging exclusively, which is handy if you have someone who only calls when its an emergency. Here’s how to set it up:

• Launch Contacts.
  • Tap the contact you want and then tap Edit.
  • Tap Ringtone (or tap Text Tone if you want texts to go through).
  • Set the Emergency Bypass toggle to On

manisinghs7

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
This is a better option.Anyworkaround for stopping spam messages from companies?I have turned block this number, and yet i receive texts from them.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I enabled this and now my wife's texts send an audible alert even when on silent. Anyone else seeing this for contacts you have enabled? Other contacts don't do that.

Right, that is exactly what it is supposed to do.

From the link in my previous post (which you quoted):

First off: Emergency Bypass goes through both Do Not Disturb mode and your phone’s silent switch, so you’ll only want to use this for potential big deal emergencies. You can also set it up for the phone ringtone or text messaging exclusively, which is handy if you have someone who only calls when its an emergency.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Umm, yeah. That was a lot of words, and it was one of those days. Thank you for pointing out the obvious that I totally missed! I only saw that it was a way around do not disturb. I still want my silent options :)

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Like a boss. Thanks for the heads up on that, @kataran!

There's a guy on youtube (everythingapplepro) that's pretty quick about updating videos that go over new changes and added features for each of the beta releases. He has other vids, but I only watch the ios beta update ones. Watch his vids to stay updated about all these cool features that often times go unnoticed by most people, ;)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
There's a guy on youtube (everythingapplepro) that's pretty quick about updating videos that go over new changes and added features for each of the beta releases. He has other vids, but I only watch the ios beta update ones. Watch his vids to stay updated about all these cool features that often times go unnoticed by most people, ;)

Thanks for the tip -- added it to my list!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711