iPhone 6s turning off at 10-20%

blackcats

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
For the last couple of days my iPhone 6s has been shutting off at fairly high percentages (14% yesterday, 18% today). When I try to turn it back on, sometimes it will give me the low battery symbol, but other times it will turn back on. However, even if it does, it shuts off again very quickly.

Even before this started happening, I suspected something might be wrong with the battery because I would only average about 6 hours of battery life with normal usage, while a lot of people on this forum seem to be getting 7-8 hours. Additionally, I've had some weird problems with charging. Sometimes my phone would seem to be charging very slowly, so I would reset the phone and when it turned back on, it would be at a higher percentage than before (around 10% more). There doesn't seem to be any major problem with the discharging rate though.

Just a bit of background in case it might be relevant: When I first got my 6s, I restored from a backup of my old iPhone, but was encountering a bug with Siri so I restored as new. Even with this restore, like I mentioned before, my battery life has been somewhat suspect. Do you guys think that I have a problem with the battery, or should I just restore as new again? I'm somewhat reluctant because I have some saved game data that I don't want to lose, but if this is just a firmware glitch, I'll have to do it.

Tags: xe tai isuzu 8.2 tan, toyota vios 2017, hyundai 7 tan dong lanh

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I was running yesterday, listening to podcasts as I always do, and my 6s suddenly shut down with the "plug in to power" graphic - the first time this ever happened. When I finished the run and plugged in, the battery was at 78%. Very strange. So, I was happy to see that this is something that is now covered. Unfortunately, this is a bad week for this to get fixed...

CLINTONCREATEZ

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
My wife phone does the same thing. She was sitting outside watching the kids play and after sometime her phone just shutoff on her. When she plugged it into the charger it instantly came back on at 40%.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Same with been having the same issue. Did an online/remote hardware diagnosis with @AppleSupport on twitter and they couldn't find anything. I don't know if they checked the serial number against the bad ones though.

May have to try again and ask specifically rather than complain of battery issues.

n2dxchacko

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Its been happening to alot to the newer phones. If you open up some applications like podcast or camera, it turns off and says no battery left but is fully charged. I got a replacement by going to my local wireless store and getting a replacement.

Aceroller

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Mine was also shutting off at 40%. Took to the Apple Store just now and they confirmed mine is one of the affected 6S's (by checking the serial #), and they are putting a new battery in it for free.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I found an artikel here in Sweden about this issue

Affected serial number is according to this artikel

Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 QC QD QF QG QH

This is the fourth and fifth letter of the serial number

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I found an artikel here in Sweden about this issue

Affected serial number is according to this artikel

Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 QC QD QF QG QH

This is the fourth and fifth letter of the serial number

One of those is mine... maybe I'll make an appointment to take it in on Friday.

edit: appointment made.
Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 6.38.33 PM.png

Last edited:

cbreze

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I bought mine second hand off Swappa. Would I be able to take advantage of this battery swap out offer? Or would they look into it far enough to see I'm not the original owner?

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine second hand off Swappa. Would I be able to take advantage of this battery swap out offer? Or would they look into it far enough to see I'm not the original owner?
I don't think that will be a problem. If the unit is defected the will fix it.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
One of those is mine... maybe I'll make an appointment to take it in on Friday.

edit: appointment made.

Robert, how did the appointment go? Were you able to get same day repair service? I may need to do this and I'm concerned about having to leave the phone.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Robert, how did the appointment go? Were you able to get same day repair service? I may need to do this and I'm concerned about having to leave the phone.

Hey there, @tcuprof -

Thanks for the reminder. I took it in, but they were out of batteries, so had to get in on the next shipment. My appointment is again this Wednesday to get it swapped out. When they called, they said the wait could be 2 hours, but it was a weekend, so I just made another appointment. Hopefully that helps!

If you're unsure of whether your battery is covered by the replacement program, you can check it [URL="https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/#mn_p]here[/URL].

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I have an appointment tomorrow to have my iPhone 6s battery swapped out through the replacement program. Hopefully, they will not be out of stock with the replacements when I get there. And i REALLY hope it won't actually take 2 HOURS.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have an appointment tomorrow to have my iPhone 6s battery swapped out through the replacement program. Hopefully, they will not be out of stock with the replacements when I get there. And i REALLY hope it won't actually take 2 HOURS.

That was a mall store, on a weekend, for walk-ins. He said during the week a walk-in is less than an hour. I'll plan for an hour and see what happens. Hopefully the appointment helps!

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Hey there, @tcuprof -

If you're unsure of whether your battery is covered by the replacement program, you can check it [URL="https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/#mn_p]here[/URL].

Thanks for the link. I know mine is covered, I just don't know whether I want to get the battery replaced since I'm not actually having shutdown problems. I'm especially leery given reports of Apple breaking the phone during repair and then taking a couple of days to provide a refurb replacement.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I know mine is covered, I just don't know whether I want to get the battery replaced since I'm not actually having shutdown problems. I'm especially leery given reports of Apple breaking the phone during repair and then taking a couple of days to provide a refurb replacement.
My battery is at the Apple Store and my replacement appointment is tomorrow at 11:30 am. I'll let you know how it goes...

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods