iPhone 6s turning off at 10-20%

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Want to get your defective iPhone 6s battery replaced? Hope you have a pristine screen before you take it in:

Monday, Dec 12, 2016 05:07 PM
Duration 30 minutes 10 seconds

Jeff
Thanks for contacting Apple Support. My name is Jeff. Please give me a moment to look over your information.

Big Dookie
Okay.

Jeff
Hi Justin, Your case number today will be 100088395584. How are you doing today?

Big Dookie
Good, thanks. Just wanted to get some information on how to handle an issue we're having with my wife's iPhone 6S.

Jeff
Great! Im glad to hear your doing good today. I would be glad to help. What is happening with your wife’s IPhone?

Big Dookie
She's having a battery issue where the phone will often times randomly shut off with a large percentage of battery still left... sometimes 20-40% or more. Or it will drop by a large percentage, like 45% down to 12% instantly.

Big Dookie
Additionally, she's seeing extensive battery drain. Sometimes the phone will go from a full charge to shutting off within two or three hours. We've checked all the usual culprits like brightness, background app refresh, etc. Nothing should be causing the battery to drain that fast.

Jeff
Im very sorry to hear that. I can certainly understand how your phone turning off and the battery draining will be making it very hard to use. So I will do all I can to help make sure this is resolved.

Big Dookie
For context, we are aware of the iPhone 6s Unexpected Shutdown battery replacement program, and her phone is eligible from looking it up on the website... so I have a little more info to provide there when you're ready.

Jeff
Thank you. In this case I would like to ask, is this the IPhone 6s Space gray 64GB?

Big Dookie
Correct.

Jeff
Ok thank you. So you are correct the phone is eligible. So that will mean we get the phone into a Apple location or setup the repair by mail. We can do whichever option is easiest for you.

Big Dookie
Okay, thanks... and actually that's where the additional info comes in, so let me try to explain real quick.

Jeff
Sure no problem.

Big Dookie
We did set an appointment and take it into an apple store and have someone at the Genius Bar look at it. They agreed that the battery was eligible for replacement. However, her screen has a very small crack in the bottom left corner of the screen. Small enough that you can't even see it with the case on. But the guy there said that, to replace the battery, they'd have to remove the screen, and because there is a crack in it that the screen would be destroyed in the process and they'd have to replace it. However, they said that even if they were the ones that destroyed the screen in the process of replacing the battery, we would have to pay for the cost of the replacement screen.

Big Dookie
So I wanted to contact you guys directly and see if this sounded right. The phone is perfectly fine besides the small crack right now, so it seems unfair that, if the screen was made unusable during the process of replacing a defective battery, we would have to pay for it. So I wanted to see, does this sound right? Are there any other options for us here?

Jeff
Im very sorry about this. I do understand. That is correct. We do need to have the screen replaced if it is cracked. Since the cracked screen is not covered under the warranty. There is a cost to replace the screen. So what that store did tell you is correct.

Big Dookie
So even thought the iphone is perfectly usable otherwise, if you guys made it unusable in the process of replacing a factory defect, we would be the ones that would have to pay for it? I just want to confirm this is the case.

Jeff
Yes. That is correct. The screen damage is not covered by warranty. We are only able to use this program on phone’s that do not have Physical damage. If they do have physical damage there is a cost to replace the screen.

Big Dookie
Okay, thanks for clarifying. So one more question... would it be possible to simply have the battery replaced without replacing the screen, and then go to a third-party vendor to get the screen replaced? In other words, do we HAVE to get the screen replaced when the battery is replaced?

Jeff
Im sorry. IT would have to be replaced when we do the battery repair. If you were to go to a 3rd party for the screen the repair. That would keep us from being able to perform the battery replacement or any other repair moving forward. When a phone is repaired by a third party we are no longer able to work on that phone.

Big Dookie
So if we want to get the defective battery replaced, the only option then is pay $150 for Apple to replace the screen?

Jeff
That is correct. It is Actually $129 on the IPhone 6s. Here is the webpage with the details. https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/screen-damage

Big Dookie
Alright, understood. Well thank you for your time Jeff, I appreciate your help.

Jeff
Ok great. No problem! I was happy to help. Thank you for chatting with me today! If you think of something else you'd like to ask, just chat us back, we’ll be here.Have a great rest of your day!

Big Dookie
Thank you, you too.

Am I out of line for thinking this is complete and utter bull? If the phone is still completely usable, and they are the ones that will make the phone unusable in the process of correcting THEIR factory defect, why should I have to pay for it? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
1) Is the phone still in warranty?
2) Do you have Apple Care?
3) If you had the screen replaced first at a 3rd party repair shop, would Apple be able to tell and then not replace the battery for free?

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely a refurb. My boyfriend had a problem with his iPhone 5s in the summer of last year (repeated Blue Screen of Death) and brought it to the Apple Store. They couldn't fix the issue, so they gave him a replacement that was a refurb. I think they only give refurbs when your phone can't be fixed.

Did you actually experience a shutdown with your 6s? I just find it odd that mine came up on that form Apple has as being a model that's eligible for the battery replacement since I've never had a single problem (keeping my fingers crossed that my iPhone is an odd one out of the bunch, in that regard).

Yes - mine shut down several times before I contacted support via online chat. The first time it happened I thought maybe I had misread my battery level. Then, a couple of months later (not kidding) it happened two more times a couple of days apart. I also realized after getting this replacement that my battery life had deteriorated quite a bit. The refurb/replacement is much better.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Waiting for my daughter's to get done. They said 3 hours! That's how backed up they are. Crazy.

nancycasas8311

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
When I don't charge my phone overnight, I'll check it in the morning as usual. Even though it has like 20% battery, it'll suddenly turn off as if it were low on battery.:(

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah its bad. And I don't think they have the people to do that many. Once in a while, sure, but not at this level.

Mine's been solid since I had it replaced.

My daughter hasn't complained. Yesterday, she made it through the entire day without having to charge, so that's something. She plugged it in before bed at 1%

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Could be wrong, but I don't believe it. Guess it's possible... batteries are common but can certainly have issues!

That was my initial reaction, too. It just seems a little convenient that this would suddenly happen with an iPhone after the whole Samsung Galaxy Note 7 debacle.

Keith Morris

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Just had my 6S battery replaced. Had an appointment but decided to walk in when the store opened.
The whole process took 2 hours but battery replaced!! 😉

tai4de2

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
If you look at the link from my post number 26 up above (post 26) Apple seems to be saying that the phone is designed to shut down when it encounters low voltage from the battery in a variety of conditions (extreme cold is one of those conditions.) The fault in the battery must have caused intermittent low voltage so the phone would shut down.

My wife had her 6s for over a year without any problems. It started showing symptoms of the battery/shutdown issue only when we went to Iceland and Finland and exposed it to colder temps that it had ever seen.

Replacement was done at a local Apple store in about an hour.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I've had my 6s for approximately 16 months and this weekend is the first time it has gone from 20% battery left to shutdown. Cold weather had nothing to do with it. Maybe I'm going to need that new battery after all.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 6s for approximately 16 months and this weekend is the first time it has gone from 20% battery left to shutdown. Cold weather had nothing to do with it. Maybe I'm going to need that new battery after all.

Oh, boy... That's not good. Mine still has yet to do that. The lowest my battery has gone recently was around 24%. I've been so reluctant to do anything so far since all has been well. I've had my 6s for just shy of 16 months as well.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh, boy... That's not good. Mine still has yet to do that. The lowest my battery has gone recently was around 24%. I've been so reluctant to do anything so far since all has been well. I've had my 6s for just shy of 16 months as well.

I did it mainly just to get the new battery on Apple. Batteries lose capacity as they go through more charging cycles. (Though I did have one shutdown - at about 75%.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh