16gb enough?

jayzero76

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I feel you same here always these can you delete this or that. When I try to delete a game daddy not that one or this one....what a fight all the time.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Apple offering the 16 is not the problem, you (people in general) making the choice to buy the 16 is the problem.

The 16GB phones have been on the market since I don't know when. Everybody has somebody heard complaining about the fact they're out of space, 16 is not enough and so on.

It's not a trade secret the 16 is not enough for people who wants to play games, save a load of pictures, need offline navigation apps and so and so on.

It is your own responsibility to make the right choice and Apple provides you with those choices.
?16 for beginners, only calling and texting and incidentally a photo here a game there.

?64 for mid-level users. A lot of games, a lot of pictures and a lot of apps.

?128 is for high end users. They need space they get the largest space. What they fill it with or how they're gonna use it is up to them. Who are we to judge?.

All people here complaining about the 16 should stop whining and simply buy the phone they deem fit for theirselves.

randally

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I had a 32GB iPhone 5S and was always on the border of managed storage to full. Mostly old photos and I don't want to pay for many GBs of iphoto library online storage...

IMO this is no excuse. I pay $12 a year for 50GB iCloud storage. Need more? 200GB is only $36 a year.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
OTA updates won't work on low space left, but using iTunes you'll be still able to update those iPads though.

Updates don't need as much as they used to. Where back on iOS 8, you needed 5 gb available, now only about 2gb. Most updates now need maybe 1.3 gb for the update.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Updates don't need as much as they used to. Where back on iOS 8, you needed 5 gb available, now only about 2gb. Most updates now need maybe 1.3 gb for the update.

Yup, that's right. I didn't mention any space requirements though, but this extra information could always come in handy for people willing to know how much space they need for OTA updates.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion I would steer clear of the 16gb model. It's sad that customers are letting Apple get away with offering the 16gb storage size. 16 gigs works for a company supplied work phone or a pro-cumer who knows how to actively manage their storage. This is an upsale model for Apple to raise profit margins. I don't know what other company could sell an expensive phone with so little storage and get away with it.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've found photos take up most space as it's generally the only content on the device these days.

I use Google photos to keep my pics off the device and manage with 16gb easy

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion I would steer clear of the 16gb model. It's sad that customers are letting Apple get away with offering the 16gb storage size. 16 gigs works for a company supplied work phone or a pro-cumer who knows how to actively manage their storage. This is an upsale model for Apple to raise profit margins. I don't know what other company could sell an expensive phone with so little storage and get away with it.

If there is enough demand for the 16, they'll never stop. You don't eat the chicken laying golden eggs until it's sick or dead. 16 is still neither.

randally

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
16 gigs works for a company supplied work phone ...
This is THE market for the 16g. But if they only offered it to businesses, people would scream for them to make it available to the general public anyway.
Want more? Buy the bigger one and stop trying to tell Apple how to run their business. (Removed snarky comment concerning their success).

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This is THE market for the 16g. But if they only offered it to businesses, people would scream for them to make it available to the general public anyway.
Want more? Buy the bigger one and stop trying to tell Apple how to run their business. (Removed snarky comment concerning their success).

At no point have I said how Apple should run their business. I simply stated the truth the 16gb model is an upsale model to increase asp. That's all, a lot of consumers would be better off with 32gb shoot many wouldn't even jump to the higher storage model. But I did not state or imply that Apple should use that as its base. Unlike a lot of consumers I believe it is our job to influence the market and not be told what we should want or what is acceptable. Apple is wildly successful but that doesn't diminish the consumers role in things. I don't like Apple's charge for higher storage tiers sorry but it's way to expensive. $50 more for a $2 more expensive chip is fine $100 is just ridiculous

ChrisS9938

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
When I got my 6 a little over a year ago, one of the things I insisted on, and a lot of the reason I did not get a 6 Plus, was 64 GB. My beloved 4S had one issue by the end of its usable life (I still have it!), and that was memory! I had to continually strip things off of it just to keep it going. And it was a 16 GB phone. I would avoid the 16 unless you are one of these people who upgrades every year. If you keep your phone a while, you are better off with 64. I think 32 will become the standard by the next generation and 16 GB phones will follow 8 GB into the history books. Really, I'd like to see Apple take the lead again and just go to all 64 GB and up.

yurias

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
For me 16GB is ok, i am not a heavy user. I mainly use my phone for social chatting , not for games and videos. so it enough.

WeTheNorthRTZ

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
16GB can be enough for alot of people! Ive used 16GB phones since they became standard. Heck, I even got my first iPhone (3G) with 8GB.

As long as you dont take a HUGE amount of photos and videos or download tons of games youll be fine!

Cloud memory is pretty important these days!

Ive got a 64GB iPhone now because it was such a good deal I couldnt pass it up... and so far ive used a grand total of 9GB lol!

Ive got 265 photos, 45 applications, 202 songs (downloaded to my phone from Apple Music for offline play, lots more available to stream), and 7 videos!

Im a pretty light user storage wise it seems!

Lastly the odd few times (Once in 4 months) I mightve hit my max capacity (when i had 16GBs anyway) I would just transfer everything over quick and have a fresh start in minutes!

So it CAN be done! Does 64GB offer peace of mind? Sure... it does for sure! But 16GB can be easily manageable if thats what you go with!

eriks1805

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I have got an Iphone 6s with 16Gb. No problem at all. All the photo's and video's i take transfer directly to the cloud. Don't have any music on it and only apps that i use.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I believe the 16Gb should be dropped permanently. It?s definitely not enough.

I'm inclined to agree. I get the business reason, but it's not very consumer-centric. The idea is to lure users to the 64 GB option for $100 when in reality the price of both are essentially the same if you're Apple.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My wife had the 64 GB and she has just used all her space. And she certainly isn't the most techie person who does a whole lot. Pictures and music is what did it for her. She's had her phone for almost two years though.

Point being, had she went with the 16 GB (which she initially wanted to do for cost savings but I decided against it) she would have been frustrated and upset a long time ago, lol.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My wife has the 32 gb 5c. She's used about 10 gb over 2 or so years. And 1 gb is stuff I put on her phone for me. LOL She doesn't use much.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro