16gb enough?

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I tend to take lots of pictures and video, and with a constantly changing (and expanding) collection of music to go, 16GB is not an option for me.

skydivertak

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so I got the 16 GB in the theory it was cheap and only wanted to use a few extra apps. The promise that apps could just load what they need for the device was a factor.

I only have 10 apps or so installed, and a few photos. But when it came to updating the iOS, you need a few GB free. It offered to temporarily remove Garage Band, but it wasn't enough! I had to remove a few more apps manually before I could update. It did not offer to temporarily remove anything else, even other Apple apps like Remote or others.

Apple needs something like Google's "Instant Apps", or some sort of better app manager that can remove the app without the settings, then restore the app.

BBerryPowerUser

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have made an old iPhone 16 gig 4s work for me since popping a SIM back in it this Spring. I'm holding out for the new 7 in September.

Yes, I have to be VERY careful I don't get "App-Happy" and music is a delicate matter if you like to carry music on the iPhone. I don't really, as I have a script to Apple Music.

To the OP's question, I'd never get a 16 gig iPhone in today's market. Could I make it work for me? Sure, but at a steep cost of convenience. My new iPhone 7 will be at LEAST 32, and most likely 64.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I got the 16 GB in the theory it was cheap and only wanted to use a few extra apps. The promise that apps could just load what they need for the device was a factor.

I only have 10 apps or so installed, and a few photos. But when it came to updating the iOS, you need a few GB free. It offered to temporarily remove Garage Band, but it wasn't enough! I had to remove a few more apps manually before I could update. It did not offer to temporarily remove anything else, even other Apple apps like Remote or others.

You can update through iTunes without having all that free space. Your computer will handle the download, unpacking, etc.

DQSooner

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Why not just get your own device with your own plan and leave your office provided device for just that, office work. While sometimes I may use my iPad for work use (its a matter of my convenience), I NEVER use work devices for personal use.

Because I am cheap :)

But seriously, I really don't like carrying multiple devices around. That may end up being the only workable solution but I'm really just trying to avoid carrying around a second device if I can avoid it.

James See

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
When it comes to storage, its better to go for higher one. But 16GB phone is pretty decent to use, just don't get a lot of live photos:laughing:

TekNiKal

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if you realize it, but your first three sentences proves that 16 GB is not a viable storage option.

"16gb can work. You have to do everyrhing in the cloud and not save to your phone. No music, no photos saved."

There is no valid arguement to make on Apple's behalf for selling a 16 GB phone in 2016, especially when every other manufacturer uses 32 GB as a minimum storage option. I get it, it is business. Apple wants to force its customers to pay an overpriced upgrade of $100 to a usable storage capacity. I did it. I bought a 64 GB iphone. I hardly ever take pictures and videos, or store music, and my phone's storage is half full.

I don't believe that we need to pretend that 16 GB is ok, or become apologists for Apple.

Prakhar Mohan1

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
That totally depends on your usage and the amount of content you store on the device. 16gb works fine for me and if you have a problem there are various pendrive to solve your issue. I use sandisk ixpand for my iphone 6

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
That totally depends on your usage and the amount of content you store on the device. 16gb works fine for me and if you have a problem there are various pendrive to solve your issue. I use sandisk ixpand for my iphone 6

This. I like to try apps and such but I don't limit them because i have 16gb. That's just the way I do things. I don't like having so many pictures on my phone in general.

I do the same with my laptop even though I have a lot of storage. I rarely ever store pictures, the cloud works just fine for me. Having apps I actually use is easier for me.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Had make switch was on sprint worst service ever I didn't want to be in a 700$+ debt for stupid phone, my grandma passed away left me enough get 95% debt free. Wasn't willing screw up again. Bought 16 gb iPhone 6 for 450$ at Walmart ( priced match Verizon's deal) I come realize a phone is a phone. I use it for a phone. So 16gb is perfect for me.

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
If you know what you are doing 16gb is manageable, I have 600 photos some videos, 40 apps I need and use, and have 5gb left, i load all my photos/video to my iMac and iPad Pro 128gb. I used to have a 128gb but was just storing stuff I never used.
Ideally 64 is perfect but I got my 6s plus only 3 months old for $500 aud, a 64gb new one is $1379 here. My first car was only $1100 ;)

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I had a 32GB iPhone 5S and was always on the border of managed storage to full. Mostly old photos and I don't want to pay for many GBs of iphoto library online storage... My office just upgraded my phone to a 64GB iPhone 6S about a month ago and I was browsing around today trying to figure out how I was eating up the additional space so quickly - Holy Moly, the new "Live photo" feature is a SPACE HOG. Instead of just 2-3MB photos, I'm also taking 3-4MB video files with EACH PICTURE. Wow. What a completely unnecessary, although nifty, feature. I'll be turning that off today.

Just something to keep in mind with the 6S - photos take up a LOT more space, and I wish they just wouldn't even sell the 16GB phone anymore. 32GB should be the smallest, especially with this live photos feature.

Steve Adams

Banned
May 26, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, A few weeks in, we are LOVING the iphones. So much so I am switching everything to apple. 2 MacBook airs, 2 ipad airs a dock with 27" apple monitor etc. JUST SOOOOO GOOD!

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Smart choice Steve. I actually had a 16GB and after about a month I was running out of storage. Gave it to my daughter and bought a 128GB 6S off the forums. Couldn't be happier!

Steve Adams

Banned
May 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes, more storage is needed now. My 9 yo son has a 16 gb ipad 2, its full so we cannot even update the software. We are getting him and us new ipads very soon. sell our surfaces and go with the pads and macbooks.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, more storage is needed now. My 9 yo son has a 16 gb ipad 2, its full so we cannot even update the software. We are getting him and us new ipads very soon. sell our surfaces and go with the pads and macbooks.

OTA updates won't work on low space left, but using iTunes you'll be still able to update those iPads though.

abigailh

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
If you don't regularly sync your pictures with a laptop or you tend to watch downloaded videos on your iPhone a lot,
a 16 GB model may not be for you. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW