16gb enough?

Steve Adams

Banned
May 26, 2016
Visit site
We get a deal with my wifes employer where we get 16gb iPhone 6s for nothing up front on new contracts. I am a fairly heavy user...she, not so much...Can we get away with using 16gb phones? or should I pony up and get the 64s for 130 each?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
We get a deal with my wifes employer where we get 16gb iPhone 6s for nothing up front on new contracts. I am a fairly heavy user...she, not so much...Can we get away with using 16gb phones? or should I pony up and get the 64s for 130 each?

I suggest getting the 64gb. It's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
A 16 gb phone is great for those that only will I use for making phone calls.

;) why would you buy a iPhone then, I have the 36 Apps i need, 600 photos, few videos, on my SE 16Gb, with 5.5gb left, so its working for me, i use Apple music. All my photos/video get synced to my iMac and then onto my 128gb 12.9 iPad.
Ideally i would of got 64gb but wasn't available at the time.

Op for my wife i gave her my 128gb so i wouldn't have to keep managing it for her, would recommend at leat the 64gb if she takes a lot of video.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
;) why would you buy a iPhone then, I have the 36 Apps i need, 600 photos, few videos, on my SE 16Gb, with 5.5gb left, so its working for me, i use Apple music. All my photos/video get synced to my iMac and then onto my 128gb 12.9 iPad.
Ideally i would of got 64gb but wasn't available at the time.

Op for my wife i gave her my 128gb so i wouldn't have to keep managing it for her, would recommend at leat the 64gb if she takes a lot of video.

This. I have no issues managing the 16gb.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
A 16 gb phone is great for those that only will I use for making phone calls.

If all you're doing is making phone calls then perhaps a smartphone isn't the best option.
Every user has different needs and there are plenty who manage 16 GB just fine.

DQSooner

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
My situation is one where my office provides a phone for me but only in the 16GB size which doesn't allow me to store much of anything on it (music, etc) and they also don't provide much in terms of a monthly data usage plan so I am trying to figure out my options when it comes to playing music in my vehicle, which has CarPlay. I'm really trying to find a way to use this phone as my only phone but unless I can increase storage, I don't see a way to make it happen.

I have seen devices advertised that let you increase the storage size of your iphone by plugging a flash drive into the lightning connector. Do these actually work? If I were to buy a larger capacity iPod Touch, would there be a way to "pair" it to the iPhone as the location for my music files, etc? I know I could just buy my own phone/device but that seems like a waste of money every month in service costs that I just don't need.

I doubt there is a god work-around but thought I would at least ask here and see. Thanks for any suggestions.

David

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I think 16GB is enough if that's all you have at your disposal. For a while, I was a 16GB user back on the 4/4S and 5. I made it work because I had no other option. But, if one can get their hands on 64GB I say "Do it!"

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Agree with all the others! I had a 16gb and filled it up in no time. It was a constant battle. So when I got my 6s in December, I got the 64gb. It's awesome and such a relief!

rdmartin1

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I got the 16gb last month and it is already within 500mb of capacity. Actual capacity you get is a little under 12gb on the 16gb model. My pictures are on icloud so that is all apps, voicemail and very limited music. I only download a few songs at any given time. 64 no less.

Steve Adams

Banned
May 26, 2016
Visit site
I can easily afford them....But I was asking if its worth spending the money...I know I am going to have many more apps on my iPhone than I do on my windows phone now.

Hey Libra89! fancy meeting you over here. I got banned for some silly reason on WC.....

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Back in the day I remember buying a 1.2 GB drive. I thought that I could store the world so I copied all my floppy disk onto the drive and it was still less than half full. So I started finding software on the internet and would download as much as I could (which took forever on a 56k modem) and that drive still wouldn't fill up. After a couple of years the drive died and I felt like I'd lost my whole world since it was all on that drive then I realized much of what we keep isn't worth keeping...

Really, how often do you look at all of your 600 pictures or listen to the majority of those 1K songs? I got a bunch of videos just taking up space on my phone since I can't remember the last time I watched them...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I can easily afford them....But I was asking if its worth spending the money...I know I am going to have many more apps on my iPhone than I do on my windows phone now.

Hey Libra89! fancy meeting you over here. I got banned for some silly reason on WC.....

When I still used my old iPhone 5, I had 120 apps downloaded. Not including the Apple apps. About 200 photos. Not much music. When I upgraded to the 6s Plus, I had over 2 gb available. If you're not doing a lot of music and put photos in cloud based apps like Box and Dropbox, you can manage 16 gb.
Music, photos and videos are what get most users. Some put 50 gb of music on their phone.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

Hey! I wondered what happened to you over there. I'm still there but since I'm mostly* enjoying my iPhone SE, I am also here as well.

About the apps thing, I'm not sure what apps you use(d) on Windows Phone, but with me, I found that after downloading all of these extra apps, I end up uninstalling them because I don't use them.

*iOS is kind of boring to me. Very solid but customization isn't really as nice as it is in the Windows and Android worlds.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
My situation is one where my office provides a phone for me but only in the 16GB size which doesn't allow me to store much of anything on it (music, etc) and they also don't provide much in terms of a monthly data usage plan so I am trying to figure out my options when it comes to playing music in my vehicle, which has CarPlay. I'm really trying to find a way to use this phone as my only phone but unless I can increase storage, I don't see a way to make it happen.

I have seen devices advertised that let you increase the storage size of your iphone by plugging a flash drive into the lightning connector. Do these actually work? If I were to buy a larger capacity iPod Touch, would there be a way to "pair" it to the iPhone as the location for my music files, etc? I know I could just buy my own phone/device but that seems like a waste of money every month in service costs that I just don't need.

I doubt there is a god work-around but thought I would at least ask here and see. Thanks for any suggestions.

David

You can purchase the Mophie Space battery case for your iPhone to expand the storage capacity. I used to use it when I was having my 16gb 5s it helps a lot, but again, those battery cases cost.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro