AT&T Bloatware vs SIM-free

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Deciding whether to get a SIM-free 6S or an AT&T-branded 6S - both are unlocked used phones. I don't plan to use AT&T service.
Will the AT&T phone have a load of bloatware on it whereas the SIM-free phone will not have any?
Can AT&T bloatware be uninstalled easily or is it there to stay? Can it be disabled?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

Hi!

iPhones don't have carrier-specific bloatware. They do, however, have some menu changes. Like for Wifi calling, hotspoty or tethering, depending on what the carrier offers.

The 'bloatware' cannot be disabled, though. And notice the quotes, because a compass or Stocks app, for me, is bloatware. For someone else, it isn't.

Last edited:

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
So, on an AT&T-branded 6S, there are no AT&T-specific apps or software pre-installed on the phone?

Correct, there are no AT&T-specific apps or software in the iPhone. As stated above, the AT&T iPhone will have AT&T carrier settings on it, which impacts things like wifi calling, etc., but no apps like what you see on an Android device. Once you pop in your SIM, you'll be prompted to update the carrier settings so you can get the T-Mobile settings.

There will be many Apple apps pre-installed on the iPhone regardless of which carrier-specific version you buy. This includes apps you cannot delete, like Maps, Stocks, Apple Watch, etc., that you cannot delete, as well as some you can, like Pages, Numbers, Garage Band, etc. I consider the apps you cannot delete and never use to be bloatware, but that's a matter of debate.

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's replies. Having been on Android for many years, you expect to encounter a number of useless carrier-installed apps on your phone when you first power it up, then figuring out how to work around them or just live with the memory-hogging bloat. Sounds like Apple does it right...as has been the case on practically everything I've studied or asked about the iPhone.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
One of the joys of using iPhones Apple had enough power over the carriers to keep the carriers apps off of phones by default.
If you are an iPhone user and consider some off Apple's apps bloat I suggest you just look at an att branded s7. When you are dealing with close to 20 carrier apps that is bloat.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
My friend got an Sprint Android phone and it was filled with apps he said he'd never use burned into the carrier supplied ROM. He eventually was able to find a suitable ROM over at XDA...

Sgooter

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
And the ROMs that do work are becoming more difficult to develop as the carriers issue OTA "security" updates to negate the custom ROMs.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

iPhones don't have carrier-specific bloatware. They do, however, have some menu changes. Like for Wifi calling, hotspoty or tethering, depending on what the carrier offers.

The 'bloatware' cannot be disabled, though. And notice the quotes, because a compass or Stocks app, for me, is bloatware. For someone else, it isn't.

Correct, there are no AT&T-specific apps or software in the iPhone. As stated above, the AT&T iPhone will have AT&T carrier settings on it, which impacts things like wifi calling, etc., but no apps like what you see on an Android device. Once you pop in your SIM, you'll be prompted to update the carrier settings so you can get the T-Mobile settings.

There will be many Apple apps pre-installed on the iPhone regardless of which carrier-specific version you buy. This includes apps you cannot delete, like Maps, Stocks, Apple Watch, etc., that you cannot delete, as well as some you can, like Pages, Numbers, Garage Band, etc. I consider the apps you cannot delete and never use to be bloatware, but that's a matter of debate.

Until you ask Siri, or another OS fuction tries to call compass or stock price data. They are a function of the OS, you get an icon so you can see it. It's not bloatware.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Until you ask Siri, or another OS fuction tries to call compass or stock price data. They are a function of the OS, you get an icon so you can see it. It's not bloatware.

Perhaps Maps was a bad example, but I certainly don't need a Stocks app for getting a stock quote or chart from Siri, and if I'm a place where I need a compass, I hope to God I don't need to rely on a signal so I can use my phone. I'd bet those options could be and are written into the OS in such a way so as to make the app non-essential. So yes, I consider them bloat ware.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I know that I will never, ever ask Siri for any information that would require a compass. And stock prices Siri can find from a search if the stock app isn't there. I will likely never own an Apple Watch, and that would be easily installed from the App Store if I ever did buy one. There is no gps app - why does there have to be a compass app? Why can't the compass be a service available to apps if they need it with only an optional icon for people who want it, just like the gps radio? The same goes for stock prices or weather information. The tips app should definitely be uninstallable.

I'm fine with hiding apps, but any app that exists preinstalled that I cannot uninstall is sort of by definition bloatware.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

The stock iOS apps you may not necessarily use aren't considered bloat in the industry. It's the carrier specific installed apps that they install over the stock system.

If I'm not mistaken, part of the Apple/AT&T original iPhone agreement was that they wouldn't be allowed to touch the user interface at all. No extra app installs or carrier logos. This still stands to this day. This is why you will never see carrier bloat apps or carrier branding on any iPhone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2