What is better? Samsung S6 or iPhone 6s?

mckillio

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Depends, are you going to root or flash the S6? If so then the S6, if not the 6s. Personally, I haven't been able to root my S6 and will never get another Samsung phone, Nexus all the way. In which case, check out the Nexus 5x, the only shortcoming it has to the S6 is 2GB of RAM compared to 3GB but that RAM is used more efficiently.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
What they didn't tell you was that Google wouldn't be able to provide an update until they received it from Samsung.

Why would he tell me that info? I never asked him that. Zaki directly answered my question, which was who is responsible for the GPE S4 OTA updates.

Perhaps now we can put this to rest.

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
It's really so apples and oranges (no pun intended). They both have their strengths, they both have their weaknesses....and at the end of the day, they're both killer products.

I have an iPhone - a 6+. I do not have a Samsung, though I used to - a Galaxy Note 3. I have no plans to buy another Samsung, never say never, I guess, but nothing's on the horizon. I WOULD like to have an Android phone as well as my iPhone, though, and alternate back and forth - same with a Windows phone. But if I ever do get to get back on the Android mothership, it's gonna be via a Nexus, and not a Samsung.

But even with all that said, I STILL can't say that the iPhone is better than the Samsung.......It's just too darn give and take!!!

In terms of the raw hardware, I do think the Samsung is easily the better (the screen has no equal in the market, and the camera is arguably the best as well), plus the design of the thing, IMO, is a little bit splashier than the Apple. But in terms of software, I think I'd have to give the crown to Apple. It runs cleaner, leaner, safer and all of that. Plus, if you have or plan to have any other Apple products, you always have Handoff, which to RADICALLY oversimplify, sort of syncs all your Apple devices. Very handy, and you'll be out of luck on that front with the Sammy.

When it comes to Apps, between the two, Android has more apps....but Apple arguably has better apps. They tend to get updated first, and be more polished. Plus, while the Apple App Store may be a little bit draconian in its stringency, the Google Play Store, by comparison, is the Wild Wild West, and not only are you gonna find a ton more garbageware apps, or apps that are real clunky, but you can also even find things that will actually hurt you, though they certainly are working to shore that up.

However, in terms of the [quote unquote] "essential apps", they're both gonna do just fine for you.

But I think the big thing you have to decide is which operating system you like better. Do you like the look, the feel, and the feature-set of iOS better, or Android? Android is a LOT freer, and more flexible, and more customizable - you can "make it your own". But Apple is much cleaner, and safer. Android also has an app drawer, so you don't have to keep all your app icons on your main screen(s), which is handy, and Android also supports widgets, though with Apple, you can have an unlimited number of apps in a folder, which does help to offset the lack of app trays somewhat.

Apple doesn't support widgets, but widgets can be a big battery drain too. And even with the addition of "doze" to Android Marshmallow, the Android phones are still gonna chew through their batteries quite a bit faster.

A Nexus (if you want a third option) runs a much more "pure" Android experience than a Samsung (which modify the Android on their phones with a new user interface, and a suite of apps and features collectively referred to as "Touchwiz"). Some people love the look and feel of Touchwiz, and get serious benefit from the added features and functions. So I'm not here to bash Touchwiz....but I personally want no part of it. I MUCH prefer the look and feel of "vanilla", and don't really benefit from the extra features. Also, while "vanilla" Android is still quite a bit less lean and clean than iOS, and while "vanilla" phones still don't get their OS updates nearly as quickly as iOS, they are still much leaner and cleaner than Touchwiz devices, and can run as good or better on inferior hardware than a Touchwiz phone can on superior hardware (see Nexus 6p vs Galaxy Note 5). Plus, Nexus devices running "vanilla" get updates MUUUUCH quicker than Sammy devices do.

I liked the hardware on my Note 3, quite a lot, heck, in some ways even better than this 6+! But it's the software, the battery plummet, and the eternal waits for updates that will keep me from coming back to a Sammy! Now, this kind of stuff may or may not matter to you. But if it does, and you decide to go Android over iOS, then I'd SERIOUSLY consider it!

Anyway, the good news is this: you really can't go too wrong either way (an iPhone, a Galaxy....or a Nexus) The bad news: whichever one you get, you're going to miss out on the other ones, and they are awesome things you're going to be missing out on. So don't be too surprised if you don't feel a tinge of regret when you see one of the other ones in the wild. That's just what happens when you have to pick just one awesome thing from a pool of awesome things. I was in an elevator with a guy who had a super shiny new Samsung the other day, and I felt it, even with my commitment to avoid Samsung.

As for me, and what I prefer, I prefer both...but differently. The distinctions I like to use (I'll use two that basically accomplish making the same point) are a) "left brain" (logic, reason, practicality, "adulthood") vs "right brain" (passion, emotion, taste, urges), or if you prefer, b) "head" (same in this case as "left brain"), vs "heart" (same in this case as "right brain"). My left brain (my head) prefers Apple, and my right brain (my heart) prefers Android....I'm using an Apple, though. :)

Wishing you all the best!!! Let us know what you choose! I think you're ultimately going to be okay either way.

If you do go Samsung, go ahead and spring for the brand new S7, rather than last year's S6. Then again, iPhone 7 is not too far away, so do you really want to spring for the 6s so close to new phone time? Also, the Nexus 5x is fairly ho-hum. I'd probably skip it. The Nexus 6p is awesome, though...but at 5.7", it's quite a bit bigger than the 6s and S6 you're looking at, so if that's too big for you, then maybe just skip Nexus this round.

Cheers!

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
If you had said S7, then I would've said it's a tossup and depends on the ecosystem you want. But the 6S is an overall better device than the S6, unless you're just hell bent on using Android. The S6 is nice, but the battery sucks and it has no water resistance like the S7.

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
If you had said S7, then I would've said it's a tossup and depends on the ecosystem you want. But the 6S is an overall better device than the S6, unless you're just hell bent on using Android. The S6 is nice, but the battery sucks and it has no water resistance like the S7.

Great points here. I currently have a Galaxy S7, and an iPhone 6s Plus. They're both awesome devices. I like a lot about each, and dislike a few things about each. it's really dependent upon what you do with your device and what features matter most to you as a user. If integration to MacOS and other devices like an iPad is your jam, then you're going to want the iPhone. If you're heavily into Google services, Android might make more sense. I'm speaking to the S7 here, because I think buying an S6 at this point is a bad move due to its age and it lacking significant features of the S7. The S7 and 6S both take amazing photos, have decent battery life (huge nod to the S7 over the standard 6s here - the 6s Plus is a different story with awesome battery life) and have all of the apps you could want. Buy what makes you happy.

ecb1171

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
As other poster have mentioned, it's a personal decision. I tried the S6 last year but quickly returned i because the battery life was horrible. I now have an S7 Edge and iPhone 6s+ and I've been going back and forth on which one to keep.

I ended up deciding upon the iPhone 6s+ because I'm tied into the Apple ecosystem and, while I think Apple software not been rock solid as of late, Apple really knocked it out of the park with Handoff and Continuity. For me, the ability to answer texts and calls from my Macbook or iPad negates the advantages of Android. In addition, many applications that are both on iOS and Android function better on iOS.

I really like Android's design language (Material Design), Google Now has much better voice recognition than Siri and Google services and applications are better on Android than iOS. Specific to Samsung, Samsung Pay is great to use.

I also found that the S7 Edge reception is way better than the iPhone 6s+...but that is really area and carrier specific.

I second what some other posters have mentioned in that you may want to take a look at the S7 or S7 Edge, rather than the S6 as the improvements in TouchWiz are pretty significant.

In the end, the integration of Apple products is what kept me on the iPhone. Honestly, I don't think that's going to be the determining factor forever but, if Handoff and Continuity are important, there are no solutions the perform as well as what Apple has.

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: What is better? Samsung S6 or Iphone 6s?

Being critical to Samsung and Android, and the owner of an iPhone 6s 64gb, I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy S6 a few days ago.

Compared to the iPhone 6s

Pros
Impressive much more better screen
Better camera, sharper, beautiful macro pictures and even better low light pics, also better selfies
The keyboard is amazing, vibrates, can predict multiple languages, numbers row on top
Android has tons of app options, iOS offers a large collection, but most are abandoned apps
Screen size is similar, 4.7 vs 5.1 but retina is noticeable inferior, text, zoomed pics, video, everything is a lot better on the S6 Edge.

Cons
Noticeable slower compared to iPhone 6s, especially while unlocking using the fingerprint sensor
Still waiting for Marshmallow 6.0.1 upgrade.

As many people are saying, iOS and Apple products are reliable and work.

Android might crash a bit more, but it is much more enjoyable, customizable and full of features that are hard to find in an iPhone.

I'm still testing the S6, but guess I'll keep it as my daily driver.

Even when not the quickest to get updates, I must recognize that this Samsung product is simply a beautiful and very enjoyable smartphone.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Being critical to Samsung and Android, and the owner of an iPhone 6s 64gb, I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy S6 a few days ago.

Compared to the iPhone 6s

Pros
Impressive much more better screen
Better camera, sharper, beautiful macro pictures and even better low light pics, also better selfies
The keyboard is amazing, vibrates, can predict multiple languages, numbers row on top
Android has tons of app options, iOS offers a large collection, but most are abandoned apps
Screen size is similar, 4.7 vs 5.1 but retina is noticeable inferior, text, zoomed pics, video, everything is a lot better on the S6 Edge.

Cons
Noticeable slower compared to iPhone 6s, especially while unlocking using the fingerprint sensor
Still waiting for Marshmallow 6.0.1 upgrade.

As many people are saying, iOS and Apple products are reliable and work.

Android might crash a bit more, but it is much more enjoyable, customizable and full of features that are hard to find in an iPhone.

I'm still testing the S6, but guess I'll keep it as my daily driver.

Even when not the quickest to get updates, I must recognize that this Samsung product is simply a beautiful and very enjoyable smartphone.

Huh? Lol!

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey.

I can only tell you to consider your priorities with your smartphone before you purchase because that'll be the TRUE determining factor of whether you should get the Samsung or the Apple.

Say, you want a phone that works every time, launches an app every time, shoots a good photo every time, plays audio loud and clear every time, and you don't need excessive fiddling or tweaking around, you just need something you can count on to deliver a consistent experience, you should get the Apple.

Say, you want a phone that you don't mind having a sit down and tweaking and refining to get what absolutely suits you, then let's you change things around when you feel it. You want a phone that delivers near excellent photography, good gaming performance, ungodly customisation opportunities, a truly "you" smartphone expressed by the screen, you should get the Samsung.

Also, you'd want to consider how dependent are you on Google's utilities, say you already have a Gmail line or a YouTube page. If you don't have any deep Google ties, you won't have much of a problem with the iPhone. But if you use extensively Drive, Maps, and deeper Google utes, you'll probably feel at home with an Android.

And don't worry too much on the battery life (or lack thereof) of either device you're considering, there's a Mophie battery case lying around on the decently cheap nowadays... Good luck.

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
That was true in 2013. Not so any more. Completely wrong.
I have the S7 and iPhone SE. The S7 is faster and doesn't lag.

I have a Galaxy Note 3 from 2013 (its iOS kin would be the iPhone 5S,) and with Lollipop, software performance has improved SIGNIFICANTLY than first launched, say 80% now the speed of the S7 (obviously nothing beats a significantly newer Android version,) but the lag issue is significantly overblown. It performs largely on par with the iPhone 5S on 9.3.1 especially with games...

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

That was true in 2013. Not so any more. Completely wrong.
I have the S7 and iPhone SE. The S7 is faster and doesn't lag.

Completely wrong. S7 isn't any faster and it still lags in a terrible way.
Even a very android centric website like XDA admitted that.

S7 Edge Throttling & Thermals: Stress-tests Comparing SD820, 810, 808, A9 & Exynos 7420

st interesting, yet not shocking, is that we still managed to find lag across the user interface, including random stutters and framedrops. Indeed, our go-to GPU profiling test showed many skipped frames when scrolling through the Play Store, significantly more than our 810 devices running stock or close-to-stock software (Nexus 6P, OnePlus 2). We?ve also encountered random input lockups where performance did not take a hit but we simply couldn?t interact with the UI for a few seconds (repeated instances on the camera app and settings menu, reported by two XDA editors).

I really can't understand people defending Samsung, but everyone is entitled to his opinions...
Samsung IN MY OPINION is just not able to make a good smartphone. They usually put together very good hardware but just can't balance it... And their software is awful.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site

I don't care what some article says. i OWN the phone. I do not have lag, or frame drops, or hitching.
Mine runs smooth as my iPhone on every single thing I do.
Everything.
I love my iPhone, but the S7 is faster and does NOT lag. I USE it. Daily. Every Day. I would see the lag if it was there.
You don't own it. Buy one. then get back to me. until then.
iPhone fanboys hate to admit that anything else might be faster or better than the precious iPhone.
I can google videos or articles showing 6S+ lagging. Google it. I am sure there are 20 videos of it.

The only reason the S7 has less FPS than an iPhone is the fact that the iphone has a low res 750p or 1080p screen
The S7 is running 2560 x 1440. 4 times the res of the low end screen iPhone 6S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGCA_v4WUaI this video shows that the + model lags compared to the regular 6S because it can't handle the 1080p

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
lol you don't care what an android fan website said because it doesn't worship your beloved phone...
I have an S6, and it's way inferior to any iPhone I've owned. Same for my son's S5, same for my wife's former S4.... It's just Samsung's way to make phones: they just are not good as Apple.

The S7 faster than 6S ? In many benchmarks , I would say in almost all of them , it's quite the contrary:

80579.png

80580.png

80575.png

80589.png

80590.png

80591.png

but we know: you don't care about articles :biggrin: (but you apparently do care about amateurish YouTube videos)

ak_r7

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If you can afford an iphone, go for it.
Samsung is a waste. 90% of the gimmicks of samsung- u will never use.
after 6 months, samsung will show it's true colours - slow, heatups, buggy os etc etc. the list goes on.
I made a mistake of buying note 4 instead of ip6, now i have to use this POS till it dies..
I have used Ip5, 5s, 6+ and Samsung note 1,2,3,4, nexus 6...
Android is not as stable and polished as IOS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR