What is better? Samsung S6 or iPhone 6s?

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I like android as presented by nexus devices. Quick clean and very light. While I agree touchwiz is a mess it's also a mess a lot of people copy. Problem is that Samsung doesn't know how to present it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I like android as presented by nexus devices. Quick clean and very light. While I agree touchwiz is a mess it's also a mess a lot of people copy. Problem is that Samsung doesn't know how to present it.

I love the Nexus phones, and still have my Galaxy Nexus and my s4 (it's Google that I have issues with, not Android). But the only experience i have with Touchwiz has been on our Galaxy Note 10.1... the only Android device I own that I've never rooted (it's a shared device). None of my Samsung phones came with Touchwiz. I would imagine having Touchwiz on a phone would be a huge pain in the ****, but for just looking up stuff on IMDB and the occasional web search I don't mind it on the Note. We don't do a lot or have a lot installed on the tablet so it runs extremely smooth even with Touchwiz. Otherwise it just sits on the coffee table.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I love the Nexus phones, and still have my Galaxy Nexus and my s4 (it's Google that I have issues with, not Android). But the only experience i have with Touchwiz has been on our Galaxy Note 10.1... the only Android device I own that I've never rooted (it's a shared device). None of my Samsung phones came with Touchwiz. I would imagine having Touchwiz on a phone would be a huge pain in the ****, but for just looking up stuff on IMDB and the occasional web search I don't mind it on the Note. We don't do a lot or have a lot installed on the tablet so it runs extremely smooth even with Touchwiz. Otherwise it just sits on the coffee table.

I really like the tab s devices but ultimately I would go for the iPad because Samsung isn't very good about updating their tablets and somehow find a way to gimp them with processor choices. Especially given the iPad like prices.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
New iPhone user, since December 2015, and here is my opinion.

iPhone= it works, simple, fantastic battery life, QUICK UPDATES TO OS, no fragmentation, did I mention OS Updates (inludes Unicode updates so you can get the latest and greatest emoji's), Yes there are some bad things about it as mentioned but I'm a half cup full kind of guy.

Android= Great screen, SuperAmoled!!!(but this leads to bad battery life. My wife and son have the S6 and bleh on battery), BLOATWARE!!! half of your storage goes to Samsung and Verizon apps!, updates to OS? Good Luck without buying a new device. My Note 4 fried in 12 months.

You do have the flexibility with Android that you don't have with Apple. But then again iPhone is a phone that works no need to tweak. Yes I wish I could install music without using iTunes or making my own ringtones right out of an app instead of iTunes. You can take the bad and good from each OS and make your decision because ultimately, you are the one spending the money on the device you will have for the next year, not us.

Good Luck with your decision.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I really like the tab s devices but ultimately I would go for the iPad because Samsung isn't very good about updating their tablets and somehow find a way to gimp them with processor choices. Especially given the iPad like prices.

Oh I will be switching... when the Note 10 begins having issues and we can no longer use it. We've had it since 2013, and since we seldom use it it runs like it just came out of the box. It's pristine.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I can't judge TouchWiz on Samsung phones, but I have an HTC One M7 and can absolutely say that iOS is a far better, smoother experience all around compared to Android (IMO). So, I would say go with the iPhone 6s. I have one and love it.

I Love Apple

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: What is better? Samsung S6 or Iphone 6s?

Im gonna do the pros with both systems

Android:
More phones to choose from
Specific stores for each item.

IOS:
More apps than android (ex face time)
Sleeker
Custom browser

For me, i would prefer the iPhone 6s or 6s plus because it has more features like 3d touch! Hope you make a decision.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Android OS has always felt "cluttered" to me, and the general flow of the system operation is generally less fluid & polished than iOS. I greatly prefer iOS because it (wait for it)...just works. Reliability & ease of use are huge issues to me. i don't have the time or desire to constantly be dinking around with my phone because of a glitch or shutdown like so many of my Android fan friends. My iPhone works great from the time I pull it off the charger in the morning until I plug it in again at bedtime.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Android OS has always felt "cluttered" to me, and the general flow of the system operation is generally less fluid & polished than iOS. I greatly prefer iOS because it (wait for it)...just works. Reliability & ease of use are huge issues to me. i don't have the time or desire to constantly be dinking around with my phone because of a glitch or shutdown like so many of my Android fan friends. My iPhone works great from the time I pull it off the charger in the morning until I plug it in again at bedtime.
Indeed . Every single android phone I had, started acting weird after a while.
Never happened on any of my iPhones.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Android OS has always felt "cluttered" to me,

I always felt the opposite when running pure Android. In fact, for me it always felt severely lacking in a lot of areas. That's why I always rooted and played with custom roms on every Android phone I've owned. The reason I switched is because I felt Google to be entirely too slow to release updates and security patches. However, now that I have an iPhone I don't feel the need to jailbreak. Apple has given me everything in iOS that I always felt was missing from Android. Well, except for an app drawer. I really miss having the option for just one single home screen with nothing on it but the weather. That's the one thing that Android has over Apple... the ability to really customize your home screen. I doubt I will ever go back to an Android phone though.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Pure android is pretty bare. I don't know if it has less than iOS. I heard something a long time ago and it's stuck with me. When you compare iOS and android keep in mind you can get almost all of google's services on iOS but on android you can only get Apple Music. So if you are like me and have a family of Apple products it's kind of hard to integrate into that ecosystem with an android device.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Pure android is pretty bare. I don't know if it has less than iOS. I heard something a long time ago and it's stuck with me. When you compare iOS and android keep in mind you can get almost all of google's services on iOS but on android you can only get Apple Music. So if you are like me and have a family of Apple products it's kind of hard to integrate into that ecosystem with an android device.

We're not on one specific system in our house. We have a little bit of everything lol. There's some Windows, Android, iOS, OS X, and perhaps a few distros of one type of *nix or the other.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I wish I were that lucky we have 3 iPhones 2 iPod touches 3 iPads an iMac the only thing that is not made by Apple is my daughter's chromebook. My wife loves Apple which means if we get electronics best bet it will be made by Apple.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I wish I were that lucky we have 3 iPhones 2 iPod touches 3 iPads an iMac the only thing that is not made by Apple is my daughter's chromebook. My wife loves Apple which means if we get electronics best bet it will be made by Apple.

Same for me.
I just have to convince my elder son (still using a Samsung S5)....

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The reason I switched is because I felt Google to be entirely too slow to release updates and security patches.

To be fair, that is no longer an issue. Google has released security patches at least monthly to Nexus devices since October (I believe - since last year's Stagefright issue.) Google unfortunately cannot control what OEMs do, though. Get a Nexus and you are all set for updates.

When you compare iOS and android keep in mind you can get almost all of google's services on iOS but on android you can only get Apple Music. So if you are like me and have a family of Apple products it's kind of hard to integrate into that ecosystem with an android device.

You've already answered that question - use Google services for calendar and contacts at least and you can switch between the platforms without a problem. (iCloud mail works fine on Android BTW, though GMail is a lot better, particularly for spam filtering, so I'm not sure why you'd not use Gmail if you're already using Google calendar and contacts.) I didn't get an iPhone until last October, but I'd been using an Android phone with Macs since 2009 and with an iPad since 2012 without a problem at all.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
To be fair, that is no longer an issue. Google has released security patches at least monthly to Nexus devices. Google unfortunately cannot control what OEMs do, though. Get a Nexus and you are all set for updates.

What makes you think we don't have Nexus devices? We have always purchased flagship phones directly from Google ordering them right from the Play Store. Google feels that they should only send timely updates to those who purchased their current flagship phones. My fiance' only recently received Android 5 on his S4 (less than 3 year old phone). Lollipop has been out for over a year now, and they're already on Marshmallow Android 6.0.1. I refuse to give Google that much cash every year for a new phone just so I can receive updates. They should be sending out timely updates to all of the phones they've sold until a particular device cannot handle that update.

Regardless of the hardware or weather or not an Android device runs a little better than an Apple device, an Apple device is hands down much better simply because I know that at the very least for the next 4 to 5 years I don't have to buy a new device just to keep up with the OS updates.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
What makes you think we don't have Nexus devices? We have always purchased flagship phones directly from Google ordering them right from the Play Store. Google feels that they should only send timely updates to those who purchased their current flagship phones.
These updates are going out to all phones since the Nexus 5, I believe, (2013's Nexus 5, 2014's Nexus 6, and last year's Nexus 6p and 5x). Google sends version updates to all Nexus phones for at least two years (sometimes longer), and sends security patches to all Nexus phones for at least 3 years, or for 18 months after they were last for sale, whichever is longer. See https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en - the section on timing.

My fiance' only recently received Android 5 on his S4 (less than 3 year old phone).
That's not a Nexus phone so has nothing to do with Google - that is an issue with Samsung and whichever carrier the phone was sold on. I was specifically talking about Nexus phones. Like I said, if you get a Nexus, you are all set for updates. Unlocked Nexus devices now work on all carriers. Google does not and cannot send out updates to non-Nexus phones made by manufacturers like Samsung, LG, Motorola, One Plus, Sony, etc.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox