I really like the tab s devices but ultimately I would go for the iPad because Samsung isn't very good about updating their tablets and somehow find a way to gimp them with processor choices. Especially given the iPad like prices.

Oh I will be switching... when the Note 10 begins having issues and we can no longer use it. We've had it since 2013, and since we seldom use it it runs like it just came out of the box. It's pristine.
    04-04-2016 09:45 PM
    I can't judge TouchWiz on Samsung phones, but I have an HTC One M7 and can absolutely say that iOS is a far better, smoother experience all around compared to Android (IMO). So, I would say go with the iPhone 6s. I have one and love it.
    04-05-2016 11:31 AM
    Im gonna do the pros with both systems

Android:
    More phones to choose from
    Specific stores for each item.

IOS:
    More apps than android (ex face time)
    Sleeker
    Custom browser

For me, i would prefer the iPhone 6s or 6s plus because it has more features like 3d touch! Hope you make a decision.

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    04-06-2016 11:47 PM
    Android OS has always felt "cluttered" to me, and the general flow of the system operation is generally less fluid & polished than iOS. I greatly prefer iOS because it (wait for it)...just works. Reliability & ease of use are huge issues to me. i don't have the time or desire to constantly be dinking around with my phone because of a glitch or shutdown like so many of my Android fan friends. My iPhone works great from the time I pull it off the charger in the morning until I plug it in again at bedtime.
    04-09-2016 08:14 AM
    Android OS has always felt "cluttered" to me, and the general flow of the system operation is generally less fluid & polished than iOS. I greatly prefer iOS because it (wait for it)...just works. Reliability & ease of use are huge issues to me. i don't have the time or desire to constantly be dinking around with my phone because of a glitch or shutdown like so many of my Android fan friends. My iPhone works great from the time I pull it off the charger in the morning until I plug it in again at bedtime.
    Indeed . Every single android phone I had, started acting weird after a while.
    Never happened on any of my iPhones.
    04-09-2016 09:09 AM
    Android OS has always felt "cluttered" to me,
    I always felt the opposite when running pure Android. In fact, for me it always felt severely lacking in a lot of areas. That's why I always rooted and played with custom roms on every Android phone I've owned. The reason I switched is because I felt Google to be entirely too slow to release updates and security patches. However, now that I have an iPhone I don't feel the need to jailbreak. Apple has given me everything in iOS that I always felt was missing from Android. Well, except for an app drawer. I really miss having the option for just one single home screen with nothing on it but the weather. That's the one thing that Android has over Apple... the ability to really customize your home screen. I doubt I will ever go back to an Android phone though.
    04-10-2016 08:51 AM
    Pure android is pretty bare. I don't know if it has less than iOS. I heard something a long time ago and it's stuck with me. When you compare iOS and android keep in mind you can get almost all of google's services on iOS but on android you can only get Apple Music. So if you are like me and have a family of Apple products it's kind of hard to integrate into that ecosystem with an android device.
    04-10-2016 11:19 AM
    Pure android is pretty bare. I don't know if it has less than iOS. I heard something a long time ago and it's stuck with me. When you compare iOS and android keep in mind you can get almost all of google's services on iOS but on android you can only get Apple Music. So if you are like me and have a family of Apple products it's kind of hard to integrate into that ecosystem with an android device.

We're not on one specific system in our house. We have a little bit of everything lol. There's some Windows, Android, iOS, OS X, and perhaps a few distros of one type of *nix or the other.
    mumfoau likes this.
    04-10-2016 11:29 AM
    I wish I were that lucky we have 3 iPhones 2 iPod touches 3 iPads an iMac the only thing that is not made by Apple is my daughter's chromebook. My wife loves Apple which means if we get electronics best bet it will be made by Apple.
    04-10-2016 04:59 PM
    I wish I were that lucky we have 3 iPhones 2 iPod touches 3 iPads an iMac the only thing that is not made by Apple is my daughter's chromebook. My wife loves Apple which means if we get electronics best bet it will be made by Apple.
    Same for me.
    I just have to convince my elder son (still using a Samsung S5)....
    04-11-2016 02:48 AM
    Same for me.
    I just have to convince my elder son (still using a Samsung S5)....
    With me it's my younger son with his Note 5. He's one of those Apple haters. Where did I go wrong?
    04-11-2016 07:56 AM
    The reason I switched is because I felt Google to be entirely too slow to release updates and security patches.
    To be fair, that is no longer an issue. Google has released security patches at least monthly to Nexus devices since October (I believe - since last year's Stagefright issue.) Google unfortunately cannot control what OEMs do, though. Get a Nexus and you are all set for updates.

When you compare iOS and android keep in mind you can get almost all of google's services on iOS but on android you can only get Apple Music. So if you are like me and have a family of Apple products it's kind of hard to integrate into that ecosystem with an android device.
    You've already answered that question - use Google services for calendar and contacts at least and you can switch between the platforms without a problem. (iCloud mail works fine on Android BTW, though GMail is a lot better, particularly for spam filtering, so I'm not sure why you'd not use Gmail if you're already using Google calendar and contacts.) I didn't get an iPhone until last October, but I'd been using an Android phone with Macs since 2009 and with an iPad since 2012 without a problem at all.
    04-11-2016 10:44 AM
    With me it's my younger son with his Note 5. He's one of those Apple haters. Where did I go wrong?
    Oh, TBH my son isn't an Apple hater at all... he was just misdirected by friends.

BTW I feel for you
    04-11-2016 10:44 AM
    To be fair, that is no longer an issue. Google has released security patches at least monthly to Nexus devices. Google unfortunately cannot control what OEMs do, though. Get a Nexus and you are all set for updates.

What makes you think we don't have Nexus devices? We have always purchased flagship phones directly from Google ordering them right from the Play Store. Google feels that they should only send timely updates to those who purchased their current flagship phones. My fiance' only recently received Android 5 on his S4 (less than 3 year old phone). Lollipop has been out for over a year now, and they're already on Marshmallow Android 6.0.1. I refuse to give Google that much cash every year for a new phone just so I can receive updates. They should be sending out timely updates to all of the phones they've sold until a particular device cannot handle that update.

Regardless of the hardware or weather or not an Android device runs a little better than an Apple device, an Apple device is hands down much better simply because I know that at the very least for the next 4 to 5 years I don't have to buy a new device just to keep up with the OS updates.
    04-11-2016 11:15 AM
    What makes you think we don't have Nexus devices? We have always purchased flagship phones directly from Google ordering them right from the Play Store. Google feels that they should only send timely updates to those who purchased their current flagship phones.
    These updates are going out to all phones since the Nexus 5, I believe, (2013's Nexus 5, 2014's Nexus 6, and last year's Nexus 6p and 5x). Google sends version updates to all Nexus phones for at least two years (sometimes longer), and sends security patches to all Nexus phones for at least 3 years, or for 18 months after they were last for sale, whichever is longer. See https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en - the section on timing.

My fiance' only recently received Android 5 on his S4 (less than 3 year old phone).
    That's not a Nexus phone so has nothing to do with Google - that is an issue with Samsung and whichever carrier the phone was sold on. I was specifically talking about Nexus phones. Like I said, if you get a Nexus, you are all set for updates. Unlocked Nexus devices now work on all carriers. Google does not and cannot send out updates to non-Nexus phones made by manufacturers like Samsung, LG, Motorola, One Plus, Sony, etc.
    04-11-2016 12:47 PM
    That's not a Nexus phone so has nothing to do with Google - that is an issue with Samsung and whichever carrier the phone was sold on.
    Google announced the Galaxy S4 as their new flagship phone at the Google I/O Keynote in 2013. The Galaxy S4's that we purchased are unlocked Google phones, purchased from the Play Store for $649.00 USD, and are not branded to any cell carrier. They run pure Android without Touchwiz. Google sent out the updates when the phones were new, not Samsung. Samsung only updated the S4's running Touchwiz, which were branded to carriers.

Not going to quote the rest of your post as you proved my point. Google only updates their current flagships, unlike Apple who supports all of their phone iterations until the update itself does not run on a specific device.
    04-11-2016 01:01 PM
    Google announced the Galaxy S4 as their new flagship phone at the Google I/O Keynote in 2013.
    Again - it's not a Nexus phone - it was a Google Play Edition phone. Subtle difference, but it's a difference. Google was dependent on Samsung for updates to this phone. They are not for any Nexus phones.

I'll requote myself:
    To be fair, that is no longer an issue. Google has released security patches at least monthly to Nexus devices. Google unfortunately cannot control what OEMs do, though. Get a Nexus and you are all set for updates.
    I'm not trying to convince you to buy a Nexus phone - I don't care what phone you buy, or what anybody buys. Everybody should buy the best phone for themselves. My point was this: if you buy a Nexus phone now or from now on, you will get reasonable security and version updates from Google going forward. Period. I'm done with this point. No need to reply...
    04-11-2016 02:27 PM
    To be fair, that is no longer an issue. Google has released security patches at least monthly to Nexus devices since October (I believe - since last year's Stagefright issue.) Google unfortunately cannot control what OEMs do, though. Get a Nexus and you are all set for updates.

You've already answered that question - use Google services for calendar and contacts at least and you can switch between the platforms without a problem. (iCloud mail works fine on Android BTW, though GMail is a lot better, particularly for spam filtering, so I'm not sure why you'd not use Gmail if you're already using Google calendar and contacts.) I didn't get an iPhone until last October, but I'd been using an Android phone with Macs since 2009 and with an iPad since 2012 without a problem at all.
    The post is about the Samsung Galaxy S6, though and not a Nexus device.
    MaxSmarties and Sherry_B like this.
    04-11-2016 03:29 PM
    Again - it's not a Nexus phone
    I never once said it was a Nexus phone. I said, quite clearly, its a Galaxy S4. You kept trying to tell me it was not a Google phone, otherwise I would not have kept trying to tell you that it was.

if you buy a Nexus phone now or from now on, you will get reasonable security and version updates from Google going forward.
    Just because it's a Nexus device does not ensure that it will always get updates. I still have my Galaxy Nexus (Maguro) and it doesn't get any more updates. There's nothing so special about Android 6.0.1 that would prevent the Galaxy Nexus from running it. In fact, you can easily find a 6..0.1 ROM for it over on XDA. Why should anyone have to install a custom rom just so they can have an updated version of Android.

It's on topic; I feel that the 6s is superior to the s6 because Apple will continue to support the phone with updates long after it's been removed from their website. Not so with the Google device. This is what matters to me when choosing a phone.
    04-11-2016 05:34 PM
    I never once said it was a Nexus phone. I said, quite clearly, its a Galaxy S4. You kept trying to tell me it was not a Google phone, otherwise I would not have kept trying to tell you that it
    Wow sounds like you are one of the few that bought a gpe Galaxy s4. That was a cool idea sadly it didn't get much support and the quite a few of the devices were abandoned by the manufacturers. Sadly it was up to Samsung to update your device and unless it's a phone that sells a lot they are in no rush to update it. The gpe phones did not make amusing enough to warrant great software support. You are correct though Apple is the benchmark when it comes to software support. Sadly I think they may support some devices for to long.

@doogald I was more or less saying Apple has so many of their own things that android phones can't use like iMessage FaceTime etc. I can easily use the majority of my things from google minus apps on the iPhone.
    bcandiolo likes this.
    04-11-2016 10:26 PM
    it was up to Samsung to update your device

Not sure why you guys keep saying that. The Galaxy S4 (GT-i9505G) was updated directly from Google. Not Samsung. There is no Samsung software on the phone. It was shipped with pure Android 4.2.2.
    Last edited by Sherry_B; 04-12-2016 at 01:09 AM.
    04-12-2016 12:50 AM
    Not sure why you guys keep saying that. The Galaxy S4 (GT-i9505G) was updated directly from Google. Not Samsung. There is no Samsung software on the phone. It was shipped with pure Android 4.2.2.
    As far as I know GPe still went through OEMs for kernel and software support to the hardware.
    So he basically was right.
    04-12-2016 03:39 AM
    See https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en

See timing section, google play edition devices.

Updates to Google Play edition devices are managed by the device manufacturers, not by Google. Google works closely with the manufacturers to provide system updates shortly after a new version is released. Once an update is available, it can take up to two weeks for it to reach your device. Based on your carrier, it may take longer than two weeks after release to get an update.

Google Play edition devices may not receive the latest version of Android if they fall outside of the update window, which is usually around 18 months after a device has been released.
    Google Play Edition devices were an interesting idea but they were stopped a few years ago, at least somewhat for this reason - Google didn't control the updates.
    MaxSmarties likes this.
    04-12-2016 06:32 AM
    @doogald I was more or less saying Apple has so many of their own things that android phones can't use like iMessage FaceTime etc. I can easily use the majority of my things from google minus apps on the iPhone.
    Gotcha, but there are still answers. You can still use Skype or Hangouts for video calls from Mac or iOS, and iMessage will send as sms to android devices, and you can use pushbullet to allow the Mac to send and receive text messages. Things like handoff, though, you just can't do, though pushbullet lets you get close. The Mac is a great partner pc with android.
    04-12-2016 06:56 AM
    Gotcha, but there are still answers. You can still use Skype or Hangouts for video calls from Mac or iOS, and iMessage will send as sms to android devices, and you can use pushbullet to allow the Mac to send and receive text messages. Things like handoff, though, you just can't do, though pushbullet lets you get close. The Mac is a great partner pc with android.
    You are correct their are work-arounds and you can gain back a lot of functionality. I'd rather have these services be os level rather than add on. Still hated the fact that I had to download the lg bridge application just for my lg G4 to talk to my Mac.
    04-12-2016 07:58 AM
103 1234 ...