Are there any benefits of using this feature on the 6s. Does it change the reception the iPhone gets when not in a building. Do you have to only leave it on when in a building that has wifi.
    Thanks
    Robert
    Last edited by rpe1; 03-23-2016 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    03-23-2016 06:32 PM
    Benefits... if in an area with crappy cell signal but good wifi, it allows you to make and receive calls... Won't change reception any...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032
    03-23-2016 09:21 PM
    I love it on mine. My house is a bad cell area and wifi calling has helped a ton! It won't be on all the time, only when the signal drops below a certain threshold. You'll see it display slightly different at the top.

Wifi calling on Verizon iPhone 6s-image1458813428.452705.jpg
    03-24-2016 05:56 AM
    I love it on mine. My house is a bad cell area and wifi calling has helped a ton! It won't be on all the time, only when the signal drops below a certain threshold. You'll see it display slightly different at the top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1458813428.452705.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	424.2 KB 
ID:	104185
    Have you ever tested your cellular signal inside and outside? Mine is not so great inside. But as soon as I walk out my front door 5 feet, the signal improves. It goes from 2 dots to 4 or 5. And from what I've seen and heard, it seems to affect Verizon users more than others. There's something in the house that interferes with the Verizon signal. Another oddity is my old iPhone 5 gets 4 or 5 dots inside while my 6s Plus and my wife's 5c get only 2 dots. What's up with that? Lol
    03-24-2016 07:00 AM
    Yes, if I go outside I do lose the "VZW Wi-Fi".
    03-24-2016 07:48 AM
    Hmm... I don't see why Verizon even needs Wi-Fi calling. I'm a T-Mobile customer and have used the feature on my Nokia Lumia 925. It was okay, definitely not perfect, but I would get complaints from people I was on the phone with at times while using it. With my iPhone 6s, I've never had to use it thus far, which is great. Do you really need Wi-Fi calling on Verizon? My boyfriend used to have Verizon (he switched to T-Mobile as part of my plan early last year), and he would get service everywhere.
    03-25-2016 10:40 AM
    Yes, if I go outside I do lose the "VZW Wi-Fi".
    From what I remember reading about T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling on the iPhone, that's normal; it should instantly go back to cellular when you step outside - a nice little feature, IMO.
    03-25-2016 10:41 AM
    Hmm... I don't see why Verizon even needs Wi-Fi calling. I'm a T-Mobile customer and have used the feature on my Nokia Lumia 925. It was okay, definitely not perfect, but I would get complaints from people I was on the phone with at times while using it. With my iPhone 6s, I've never had to use it thus far, which is great. Do you really need Wi-Fi calling on Verizon? My boyfriend used to have Verizon (he switched to T-Mobile as part of my plan early last year), and he would get service everywhere.
    I live in a place with absolutely no signal from T-Mobile or AT&T and a fairly weak signal from Verizon (but at least I can make and receive calls, sometimes with dropouts.) Right now I have a Verizon Network Extender in the house, which also backhauls to Verizon using my broadband internet, but now I can use WiFi calling and I can retire the Network Extender. Network Extenders have their own issues - they need a clear access to a window to connect to GPS; the range is very limited compared with WiFi; they are expensive compared with multiple WiFi access points - I have three APs in the house, but don't really want to spend another $250 to get another extender to get coverage throughout the house. You also cannot roam from a network extender to a normal cell tower, so calls will drop if I am on one and leave the coverage area.

So, yeah, its nice to have (though I'm saying this without having made a WiFi call yet.)
    03-25-2016 11:52 AM
    Anyone know if wifi calling works on the iPhone 5 through Verizon? My girlfriend has bad service at her house,but worries that the update will slow her phone down too much and doesn't want to upgrade if wifi calling isn't supported on older phones. TIA
    03-25-2016 12:03 PM
    Anyone know if wifi calling works on the iPhone 5 through Verizon? My girlfriend has bad service at her house,but worries that the update will slow her phone down too much and doesn't want to upgrade if wifi calling isn't supported on older phones. TIA
    5C and above models... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032
    03-25-2016 12:20 PM
    On Verizon it is only iPhone 6 and later. Obviously I'm not sure about the SE, but I suspect it will be ok with the SE too.

Verizon requires the advanced calling feature in order to use wifi calling, and it's the advanced calling that requires the iPhone 6 and later. Their faq for advanced calling says specifically that there will not be an update for older phones that will allow advanced calling.

See http://forums.imore.com/e?link=http%...token=8RUDiqws
    robertk328 likes this.
    03-25-2016 01:58 PM
    Same reason you would need it on any carrier. Weak signal ... VZW is no different. Signal is weak at my house and I'm in the DC suburbs. And I've been to places with no signal where it would have been handy.
    Rob Phillips and scruffypig like this.
    03-25-2016 08:30 PM
    I enabled the wi-fi calling but began getting echoes and dropped calls at home/work. I went to the Apple store and they said that this has been occurring a great deal and suggested I didn't use it. I turned it off and no longer have theses issues.
    04-04-2016 12:36 PM
    I enabled the wi-fi calling but began getting echoes and dropped calls at home/work. I went to the Apple store and they said that this has been occurring a great deal and suggested I didn't use it. I turned it off and no longer have theses issues.
    Sorry to hear that. It's been great here, I've used it since it appeared in the beta with no problems (thankfully). How is your wifi connection and speed?
    04-05-2016 07:57 AM
    Hi, I have a strong Wi-Fi at home and work (Time Warner). I'll try restarting my phone again while at work to try it out again.Thanks
    04-05-2016 11:23 AM
    I just received my first Verizon WiFi call this morning, when I was working out in the basement (and standing about 5 feet from a router.) Fantastic - the sound quality was better than any Verizon call I've had in a while.
    04-05-2016 11:28 AM