This is why I will always have an iPhone!

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any problems like that with my s7.

No harm in getting a phone exchanged if it is doesn't work properly?

Also, this "issue" with the s7 isn't so bad that it prevents Consumer Reports from recommending the product, does it?

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Anyone who puts invaded phones into back pockets and then sits on them is asking for trouble. The amount of force required to bend these phones is significant. Let's not be petty.

dlashworthjr

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I've met a lot of iPhone users, who've had the home button not work.
Regardless though, I will have to agree that I notice less iPhones malfunctions than Androids. Until Android becomes more Apple-ish where they control the hardware software and bloatware, I see this being a problem. Updates rolling out later than they should to all the "layers" that are in between the kernel to the physical gesture made by the owner. Android's have a lot going on in-between action and reaction. Thats why if my driver is Android, like it is now with the Nexus 5X, I stick to pure Android Nexus's.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Home button is a mechanical button, so it may fail, due to its nature. It is used quite often.
But I wouldn't call that an endemic issue for the iPhone.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Home button is a mechanical button, so it may fail, due to its nature. It is used quite often.
But I wouldn't call that an endemic issue for the iPhone.

I agree. I have a large circle of friends and family who have an iPhone and not one of them ever mentioned any problems with the home button.
This is definitely not a problem with the many people I know that use an iPhone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I have a large circle of friends and family who have an iPhone and not one of them ever mentioned any problems with the home button.
This is definitely not a problem with the many people I know that use an iPhone.

Yep. I've had iPhone after iPhone after iPhone, and not once have I had any problems with the home, power, mute or the volume buttons and I don't cover my iPhones.

BBerryPowerUser

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have literally used my old 4s off and on since I originally bought it when it was first introduced, and then used it full time when I migrated back to iOS as my daily driver last year when Apple Music launched. I have had no issues with the hardware at all. Once in a while my home button seems to be a little laggy on double clicks to get a list of the running apps or the long press to get SIRI, but that's the extent of it. I chalk this up to the less then ripping speed of the processor. For when it was built, I have to give it an A for effort with regard to running the 9.x OS.

The longevity and solid performance of the 4s is one of the reasons I decided to go to iOS as a daily driver - well to be honest, THAT and APPLE MUSIC. It is also why I decided to pass on the iPhone 6 and wait for the 7 this September.

w00cash1020

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I've met a lot of iPhone users, who've had the home button not work.
Regardless though, I will have to agree that I notice less iPhones malfunctions than Androids. Until Android becomes more Apple-ish where they control the hardware software and bloatware, I see this being a problem. Updates rolling out later than they should to all the "layers" that are in between the kernel to the physical gesture made by the owner. Android's have a lot going on in-between action and reaction. Thats why if my driver is Android, like it is now with the Nexus 5X, I stick to pure Android Nexus's.

Android will never be like Apple just because there's hundreds of different phones and each update must also go through the manufacturer.

kpluck

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I am not an "Apple Fanboy" and simply want to praise Apple for consistently producing products that "work".

The fact is they don't always work, more so lately than ever before. Since you seem to be ignoring that fact, saying you are not an "Apple Fanboy" just makes your statement rather comical.

But two can play at that game...

I have worked in the print industry for over 30 years, always on Macs. My first Mac was an original 128K Mac I bought while I was in college. I currently own a Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro 15" and an iPad 2. I was even an officer in my local Macintosh user group while I was in college. I have met Andy Hertzfeld and Guy Kawasaki. My phone is a Nexus 6 but only because I like to keep up on Android and because I love to tinker with it. If someone asks me to recommend a phone I say either "iPhone" or "Nexus" depending on the individual's needs. Nothing else, software updates are too important. That being said...

While I like Apple products, they used to be what I would call "absolutely" good. By that I mean you didn't have to compare them to "bad" products and say "Hey, at least they aren't that." Not any more. Now, rather than being absolutely good, Apple products are more along the lines as "not as bad as...". It is a real shame.

Apple has lost it way. They focus too much on profit margins and ignore usability issues with their own products. Itunes is awful. iCloud is a mess. The Mac Pro is ridiculous. iPhones have had and continue to have their own issues. I guess I shouldn't complain though. Their products that "always work" make me money because they don't always work for a lot people and I get paid to sort it out.

-kp

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
The fact is they don't always work, more so lately than ever before. Since you seem to be ignoring that fact, saying you are not an "Apple Fanboy" just makes your statement rather comical.

I have worked in the print industry for over 30 years, always on Macs. My first Mac was an original 128K Mac I bought while I was in college. I currently own a Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro 15" and an iPad 2. I was even an officer in my local Macintosh user group while I was in college. I have met Andy Hertzfeld and Guy Kawasaki. My phone is a Nexus 6 but only because I like to keep up on Android and because I love to tinker with it. If someone asks me to recommend a phone I say either "iPhone" or "Nexus" depending on the individual's needs. Nothing else, software updates are too important. That being said...

While I like Apple products, they used to be what I would call "absolutely" good. By that I mean you didn't have to compare them to "bad" products and say "Hey, at least they aren't that." Not any more. Now, rather than being absolutely good, Apple products are more along the lines as "not as bad as...". It is a real shame.

Apple has lost it way. They focus too much on profit margins and ignore usability issues with their own products. Itunes is awful. iCloud is a mess. The Mac Pro is ridiculous. iPhones have had and continue to have their own issues. I guess I shouldn't complain though. Their products that "always work" make me money because they don't always work for a lot people and I get paid to sort it out.

-kp

I am an Apple Fanboy but also use a Note 5 (as stated) and often just as much as my iPhone if not more. I own a Surface Pro 4 that I tend to use more than my Macbook. My Tab S2 tends to get more use than any other tablet I own too, but yes your commentary is spot on (sarcasm) :)

Some people...

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site

-kp
the only thing I agree about your post is the statement about the Mac Pro......

The old "adagio" about Apple not being the same is just ridiculous. Yes, Apple isn't the same of early '90..... fortunately. Time changes.
iTunes improved over the time. iCloud just works: could be better but it works. iPhones were and still are the best smartphones on the market.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
iTunes may have gotten better at one time, but it's grown to be a kludgy mess. And iCloud may be getting better, but it is nowhere good enough.

Just this morning my wife took a photo on her iPhone that she wanted to share, but wanted to do so from the Mac- she finds it easier. But no matter what we did, we couldn't get the photo to sync (though all her older photos had been.) We signed in and out of iCloud, on both devices, restarted both - nothing we did made the photo sync to the iMac. It's completely inexplicable that things that sometimes work just don't work with no way to restart them. Compared to what Google does, iCloud is amateur hour.

It used to be, with home sharing, if I played a tune on one device, or skipped it on a device, that would get instantly synced over to all other devices in that home sharing account with iTunes and the music app on iOS. Since they switched from iTunes Match to iCloud library, suddenly these things get synced once or so a day, not as tunes are played. Since I have a bunch of playlists based on when songs are last played or last skipped (or number of times skipped), iTunes had grown worse, not better, in the last year. iTunes used to be a pretty lean app with a lot of power, but it's grown into a bit of a mess that grows more and more difficult to use and sync with.

iPhones are the best smartphones, in my opinion, but Apple software can be either great or mediocre, and Apple web services are from merely good enough to vastly inferior to competing services.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iTunes may have gotten better at one time, but it's grown to be a kludgy mess. And iCloud may be getting better, but it is nowhere good enough.

Just this morning my wife took a photo on her iPhone that she wanted to share, but wanted to do so from the Mac- she finds it easier. But no matter what we did, we couldn't get the photo to sync (though all her older photos had been.) We signed in and out of iCloud, on both devices, restarted both - nothing we did made the photo sync to the iMac. It's completely inexplicable that things that sometimes work just don't work with no way to restart them. Compared to what Google does, iCloud is amateur hour.

It used to be, with home sharing, if I played a tune on one device, or skipped it on a device, that would get instantly synced over to all other devices in that home sharing account with iTunes and the music app on iOS. Since they switched from iTunes Match to iCloud library, suddenly these things get synced once or so a day, not as tunes are played. Since I have a bunch of playlists based on when songs are last played or last skipped (or number of times skipped), iTunes had grown worse, not better, in the last year. iTunes used to be a pretty lean app with a lot of power, but it's grown into a bit of a mess that grows more and more difficult to use and sync with.

iPhones are the best smartphones, in my opinion, but Apple software can be either great or mediocre, and Apple web services are from merely good enough to vastly inferior to competing services.

Well stated, and a good deal of people are in agreement with you. Let's hope that things improve with the launch of iOS 10 in the coming months..

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
it truly falls into what you like, the consumers preferences. I will always own an iPhone because i love the simplicity of it, the flow of its ecosystem through all my Apple products. I used an Android before and didn't like it, doesn't make it a bad phone, it is just not a phone for me, so i went back to Apple. It doesn't make Apple superior to Android or vise versa, it comes to down to consumers preferences, we like different things.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative