This is why I will always have an iPhone!

nucks26

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I specifically remember the iPhone 4's horrendous antenna issues at launch. Just saying.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I specifically remember the iPhone 4's horrendous antenna issues at launch. Just saying.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Seriously, you actually opened an account on iMore just to say something negative about a iPhone from 4 models ago? OoooKay.
Welcome to iMore and enjoy the site.

JohnPAndrew

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
My experience with the galaxy phones is limited, but I know that my brother and in-laws love it. It depends on taste, and use. Phones are becoming more and more ? if they haven't already ? a fashion statement as much as a journal, planner, assistant...all of the above. In the end it all comes down to taste, to appeal. If the galaxy is what you like, then go for it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Simply asked for links to significant issues literally impacting the ability to use the phone. Yet to receive any but it is cool.
In addition to the already reported iPhone 4 antenna issue, there was the bad 8.0.1 update that had to be pulled.

Apple pulls iOS 8.0.1 after users report major problems with update | The Verge

One week after the launch of iOS 8, Apple released its first update for the new OS — iOS 8.0.1 — on Wednesday afternoon. It was meant to fix a slew of bugs, but that's not what happened. Immediately after the update hit, reports began flooding in that iOS 8.0.1 was breaking cellular reception and other features like Touch ID. Apple eventually removed the faulty update, but not before an untold number of users were able to install it.

This update "literally impacted the ability to use the phone", and is probably closer to the Galaxy S7 unresponsive button issue - a software problem rather than hardware. Of course Apple was able to respond rapidly while Samsung has not (though I'm not sure if the recent security patch that went out to all S7s this past week fixed the unresponsive button issue), and this was an update rather than shipping software, so it thankfully didn't affect everybody's phones.

I don't think either issue reflects poorly on Apple or Samsung. Both have well-earned reputations for making quality products. If they didn't, they wouldn't remain successful in this market. As others have said, the huge advantage that Apple has uniquely is the support network of Apple Stores and quality phone-in support. It's a major reason I switched to the iPhone last fall, and, unless something changes, I doubt that I'll switch back.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't think either issue reflects poorly on Apple or Samsung. Both have well-earned reputations for making quality products. If they didn't, they wouldn't remain successful in this market. As others have said, the huge advantage that Apple has uniquely is the support network of Apple Stores and quality phone-in support.

Very eloquently put.

Bravozero

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
You're pretty much spot on with my experience. Been with Android (primarily) since 2011 when I got the Droid X. I dabbled in iOS here and there but always missed the customization and the larger phones. The last daily driver iPhone I had was the 5, which felt like a stretched 4s to me, so I went back to Android and have pretty much been there ever since. That is, until just before Christmas last year. My job and home life had become so busy that I wanted something I knew no matter what would work and something that would let me just use it and get on with my life without having the need or urge to tinker. So I bought a 6s Plus from Apple. I have pretty much fallen in love with iOS again. I still love Android. I love all that you can do with it and the Google integration, but I honestly think that it's just a better fiscal and personal decision to stick with Apple now.

I'm almost in the same boat as you.

I started off my smartphone experience with several BlackBerrys, it was neat at the time. Then the OG Droid came out, and I decided to switch to Android. I think I've been through 10 different phones since then, and that's the thing about Android is the customization and vast selection of phones with different features. I rooted and ROM'd everything I could. While it's nice, it causes bad fragmentation across the lineup. These days, once an Android phone comes out, expect a few updates then consider it dead, unless it's a Nexus device of course. That is what makes Android less appealing to me now.

I did experiment with an iP5s last summer, and going from a Note 4 to a 5s was a pain. Trying to move stuff over from Android to iOS isn't easy especially texts. BUT... I did appreciate how smooth iOS was (8.2 at the time I think). iMessage was neat, the App Store took some getting used to but has a nice selection of apps, etc. My favorite part is how iOS used little to no battery on standby. My Note 4 would continue to eat up the battery even when it was idle. I went back to the Note 4 because the earpiece on the 5s was crap, and after moving back I immediately noticed how janky and sluggish the Note 4 was.

The wife had a 3GS when I met her and I converted her to Android over the years. However over this past Christmas she wanted to try the 6s Plus, she was getting frustrated with her Note 4 as well... poor battery life, AMOLED burn in, sluggish. I decided to try iOS again and since early January I've owned a space grey 64GB 6s Plus, and so far I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The wife seems much happier with her rose gold 6s Plus as well. Again, moving everything from Android over to iOS was a pain, but Apple made that Android app to help move stuff over including texts. I even went and bought the the Watch, sport in space grey, it's actually pretty cool coming from an old G-Shock.

I even tried out the S7 and S7 edge, I must say I'm not impressed. Still has some jankiness, still not a huge fan of AMOLED screens. As of right now, I think I'll be sticking with iOS for a while. I have yet to run into an issue with my phone, hasn't slowed down or decreased in battery life. In fact, I updated both the phone and watch yesterday to 9.3 and 2.2, respectively, and they both fly now. It's awesome. My only complaint is how big the phone is for the size screen it has. My hope is that Apple decreases the physical size while maintaining at least a 5.5-inch screen. If LG and Samsung can do it, Apple can too and they should. I do enjoy having my favorite Google apps too, which seem to work faster and smoother on iOS, which is odd.

Last edited:

JBDragon1

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I agree!!!I use my AT&T iPhone 4 for 4+ years and didn't have any issues. it was way overblown by fandroids repeating the same lie over and over again!!! Just like is done with any minor Apple issue while completely ignoring or lame excuses for their own Android phones!!! I finally replaced it with a iPhone 6 as the phone was just getting to slow to use. I did like the size and the design, and in the end sold it off to T-Mobile for $202!!! A 4+ year old Iphone 4 and still getting $202 for it!!!

The antenna thing was fixed with a iOS update. The so called bendgate thing. That was also laughable. The HTC One phone bent even easier under tests and fandroids completely ignored that!!! If it's not Apple, no one cares!!!

JBDragon1

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Ever think maybe it's just YOU!!!!

I use dmy iPhone 4 for 4+ years before replacing it with my iPhone 6 which I've now had for over a year and not sure if I'll replace it with the iPhone 7 or not until I see it. Maybe I'll go another 4 years with this one. You're cursed, or a liar. No one can have every single model of a iPhone fail on them in 3-6 months time. That's just laughable. Hell I'd moved to Android long before that.

Bravozero

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Ever think maybe it's just YOU!!!!

I use dmy iPhone 4 for 4+ years before replacing it with my iPhone 6 which I've now had for over a year and not sure if I'll replace it with the iPhone 7 or not until I see it. Maybe I'll go another 4 years with this one. You're cursed, or a liar. No one can have every single model of a iPhone fail on them in 3-6 months time. That's just laughable. Hell I'd moved to Android long before that.

Nobody knows who you're talking to. Please learn how to use the Quote function.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The antenna thing was fixed with a iOS update.

No, it was "fixed" with a free bumper case and with a redesigned antenna for the Verizon iPhone 4 and then the 4s. The iOS update just changed the bars so that they were more indicative of your actual signal strength. What the previous iOS version showed as four bars changed to two or three bars - but the signal itself didn't change (and it certainly didn't get better.)

The joke about holding it wrong turned out to be not a joke - if you held it specifically right, you did not get as much antenna attenuation. If you had the phone in a case all along, it wasn't a problem, either. The problem was due specifically to your body attenuating the signal more because you were physically touching it, particularly in one wrong place, which was not a problem with previous iPhones (which had internal antennas) or subsequent iPhones (which had a better antenna design.)

angexpress

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
The iPhone 4 antenna issue was exaggerated, I had every iPhone and they all worked flawlessly. With the antenna issue, you had to cover both the top corner and bottom corner antennas with your hands and I believe after a few seconds it would warm up and stop working. I had tested the same thing with my wife's Samsung phone at the time and it did the same thing (but hey, I got a free bumper out of it). Thanks Apple...
I'm a Systems Administrator and we have 99% iPhone, the 1% of Android devices are the phones that give me the IT department the majority of the problems. I had Android users with issues of not being able to get data when roaming, Rogers couldn't figure it out and anything we tried wouldn't work so we had to setup a spare iPhone everyone she went on business trips. Someone else bought had their cousin order the Nexus 5 in the US and ship the phone to him (I think it wasn't available in Canada), after a month he found the phone wouldn't hotshot (known issue if you google it), he spent hours on the phone with Google support staff, eventually they told him to ship it back for a replacement unit, but they wouldn't accept it unless it came from the US (they wouldn't let him ship from Canada). So he paid shipping to his cousin, then his cousin had to ship it to Google and vice versa (they would ship To Canada. It took 2 months to get the replacement and it had the same issue.
Battery recalls are issues with the company that made the battery, nothing to do with Apple software or the hardware itself.
Call me what you want but I spend my hard earned money on products that work well and I can rely on.

frahman

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I totally agree with you on the points you highlighted! Historically all these phone developers have borrowed something from each other but it seems like Apple is getting dry on the innovation bench! Hopefully moving forward they will bring something exciting as they always have!

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have been into the tech scene since the early Blackberry days and all the device manufacturers have copied each other's ideas one way or another.

I have had every iPhone since the beginning and I haven't had any of the antenna, bend gate issues on any of my devices. I am not putting anyone on a pedestal here, but Apples quality control seems to be better then their competitors.

On the Android end, my favorite device will always be the original Nexus One by HTC, it was thin, well built and had a great screen. I wish they would reintroduce it with updated hardware and a decent price and I would buy one in a minute.

As far as the issues with the S7, I have been in the manufacturing sector all my life and the pressure to get new devices to the market quicker and quicker is only going to magnify possible quality issues.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks dear. You are a big fan of iPhone. :laughing: :cool: :sarcastic:

I really don't see where being a fan of the smartphone an individual chooses as a problem. They are very expensive and when a person spends that much money, there has to be a strong like (fan) somewhere in there.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If this thread was successful at anything it was added forum members, lol. There are a lot of people who seem to have had their first post in here.

jarofclay73

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah looks like the S7 is having multiple issues. Did you see that video with the S7 vs. 6s? While the Note 5 and the Galaxy S6 are great phones, the S7 doesn't even seem to be living up to Samsung's standards.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah looks like the S7 is having multiple issues. Did you see that video with the S7 vs. 6s? While the Note 5 and the Galaxy S6 are great phones, the S7 doesn't even seem to be living up to Samsung's standards.

Agreed, my Note 5 has been a dream but I had nothing but issues with my S7 Edge.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2