Back to Apple

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
When my brother called me from work in July 2007 to say he had an iPhone and did I want him to put one aside for me I thought to myself ?Yeah, Apple make a good iPod, I?m sure the iPhone will be just as good?. But with no 3G or basic functions like copy and paste I soon found myself frustrated but it was still the best phone on the market.

A lot of these frustration were removed on the iPhone 3G but I never have been a the kind of person who upgrades my phone for the sake of it instead waiting until it needed to be changed.
In 2009 I upgraded to the 3GS after my original iPhone took a fall and whilst I was impressed by the speed and new features it still wasn?t there for me. I started to get the feel for Android on the Samsung Galaxy S in 2010 but Apple still had the lead.

Jump ahead to 2012 and I was still running on my 4S and wondering why my friends were starting to get Samsungs and Sony devices and not Apple. They still had the best OS and the hardware was still light years ahead of any other manufacturer, that is until HTC jumped out with the HTC One (M7) in 2013.

I jumped from the good ship Apple and dove head first into Android; switching all my contacts, calendars and notes to Google and thus began years of steady sailing. The hardware was good, the OS was better and if there was a feature missing I could download it. A prime example is Bluetooth and my car, there is some kind of restriction on Androids ability to connect to my model of car and sync contacts. I downloaded an app, clicked sync and boom my contacts where there.

The HTC did a fine job in looking after me and my needs, it coped well when I started adding calendars from work and various other organisations, I filled it with app after app and of course it had a nice range of games for the kids that didn?t freeze every two minutes.

It was January 2016 where my beloved HTC began to let me down. A few dropped calls at first followed by apps crashing and then failing to launch altogether. It was a few years old though so wasn?t unexpected given how hard I pushed it, it was in constant use and very rarely had time to stop even at night where it would monitor my SmartHouse sensors or run automated processes based on IFTTT recipes. It was time for an upgrade.

My partner had herself switched from iPhone back when the iPhone 5 was released first going to Sony and now running on the flagship Samsung, the S6. It was another Android, it was familiar and I knew it could just reinstall everything and continue where I left off. I decided to go for it.

It was my brother and his partner, who are both Apple employees, who convinced me to take another look at what was coming out of Cupertino. Obviously they both have iPhones and Apple Watches and would say that ?Apple has come a long way in the last two years. Why not at least look??
So I did, I had a look online and watched a few Youtube videos. I returned to this very forum and had a look at what the hot topics were. What did iOS have in store for the future and what was the hardware like now?

My decision, well I believe that is obvious: I went straight out and bought an iPhone 6S.
I was welcomed with the all familiar home screen and synced everything with my Google accounts. I don?t plan on using iCloud too much, simply for notes, keychain and Find My iPhone as getting my Google calendars all across isn?t possible as a few are shared. My apps were downloaded and fingerprint settings were quickly established. Siri now takes care of my house with HomeKit where it is compatible and everything just works.

I?m not for one moment saying that Android didn?t work, quite the opposite, it worked for me where Apple fell down but in the last two years the game has changed. With more and more customisation and options I feel confident that Apple is where I want to be.
My partner is planning on switching back when her contract with her carrier finishes and we will likely both get Apple Watches to give us yet even more flexibility.

Not many have switched back to Apple, but I am glad that I have.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks :) I'm actually a little shocked how different it is after only two years. It's almost like learning the OS all over again.

Not a clue what the likes of Airdrop and Handoff can actually offer me so a lot of time on YouTube is in order.

One think I will claim is genius though.... 3D Touch. One of my favourite features I think

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks :) I'm actually a little shocked how different it is after only two years. It's almost like learning the OS all over again.

Not a clue what the likes of Airdrop and Handoff can actually offer me so a lot of time on YouTube is in order.

One think I will claim is genius though.... 3D Touch. One of my favourite features I think

+1 for 3D Touch. I think we are only scratching the surface with what its capabilities are at this point. I'm excited about how 3D Touch evolves in iOS 10.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

+1 for 3D Touch. I think we are only scratching the surface with what its capabilities are at this point. I'm excited about how 3D Touch evolves in iOS 10.

I'm interested in how you all continue to use 3D Touch. It has fell by the wayside for me. I'd love to get more use out of it but I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I've 3D touched anything. Just doesn't seem convenient for me in any situation. Are there ways you are all using it that I might just not be aware of?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in how you all continue to use 3D Touch. It has fell by the wayside for me. I'd love to get more use out of it but I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I've 3D touched anything. Just doesn't seem convenient for me in any situation. Are there ways you are all using it that I might just not be aware of?

I use it a lot for email/message previews and app shortcuts. For instance, I use Waterminder to track my water intake. It's more convenient to force press the app shortcut and tap on "24oz" (the size of my water bottle) than it is to tap the app, let it load, tap on the + sign, and then select 24oz. I use it a lot for Twitter as well. Again, it's more convenient to force press and tap "new tweet" than it is to load the app.
I use it a lot more today than I did originally. It wasn't natural by any means because my brain was so trained to how iOS has always worked but I've grown to appreciate it. I'm using it more without thinking about it.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I use it for email mainly as I have several mail accounts set it allows me to quickly view the content and either enter the email to read now or mark it as read/delete if that's what's required.

I have tried to use it to get to the app switcher but that's hit and miss so I cannot reply on it. I'm sure it me but as above, my brain auto goes to the home button.

I do agree however that it's not there yet but that is mainly because apps haven't updated to support it.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I use it a lot for email/message previews and app shortcuts. For instance, I use Waterminder to track my water intake. It's more convenient to force press the app shortcut and tap on "24oz" (the size of my water bottle) than it is to tap the app, let it load, tap on the + sign, and then select 24oz. I use it a lot for Twitter as well. Again, it's more convenient to force press and tap "new tweet" than it is to load the app.
I use it a lot more today than I did originally. It wasn't natural by any means because my brain was so trained to how iOS has always worked but I've grown to appreciate it. I'm using it more without thinking about it.

My feelings as well.

I also use it to one-touch my Alarm app for my house (arm, disarm, etc.). This thread from a while back has some other uses.

stayawayfromthey

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site

I use it a lot with Launch Center Pro to really quickly get to the WiFi, Battery settings. Also with Waze (and Google Maps and Apple Maps) to quickly navigate home or to work.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

In the thread list of the phone app, you can touch on a thread and peek at a message without leaving a read receipt. So the sender won't know you read it. And you can leave read receipts toggled on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro