Photos Flashing/Blinking ONCE

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. I have an iPhone 6s and in Google Image searches notice that sometimes photos will blink or flash one time. I search for something in Google, click on "Images" and some photos won't do it, some will. I click on them, the photo enlarges and there is a one time flash. It isn't the whole screen, just the photo itself.

Have you been ever seen this? You may have to search for something and click on a few photos to see it.

My entire screen doesn't flicker, it doesn't happen in BING search but because I have a few times seen it happen in other places like FB I thought it would ask.

I reset the phone through erasing all content and settings but still see it. I feel like it is a software issue since it doesn't happen everywhere or all the time and when the one time flash or blink happens it is only in the photo not the entire screen.

Thoughts?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Are you using the default browser? I've not seen this behavior before, and I use Google Images for snagging my wallpapers all the time.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it happens using Safari or Google Chrome. Are you running the same OS as me? Also, it doesn't happen all the time or for every photo so it may not have been something you noticed.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
When Google does an image search, it shows lower resolution thumbnails. When you tap them, they increase the size and then downloads a higher resolution version. Maybe that's the flash you are describing? (I finally saw it happen myself, after I finished typing that and before I clicked post reply, and now I am sure that this is the cause.)

[edit] (It didn't happen with every photo - I had to tap a bunch before I finally saw the flash.)

Last edited:

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes, it happens using Safari or Google Chrome. Are you running the same OS as me? Also, it doesn't happen all the time or for every photo so it may not have been something you noticed.

On my iPod Touch it's iOS 9.2.1. On my iPhone 6s its iOS 9.3 beta 5. Both using Safari. I'd definitely notice a glitch like that (it would drive me up the wall).

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I think it would be hard to compare the iPod Touch to an iPhone, even though the version is the same the software would be different knowing one doesn't have cellular capabilities while the other does. Hoping those with a 6s running 9.2.1 can chime in. It is almost certainly a software issue as it doesn't happen all the time and it is a very fast flash of the photo once it is done loading. I think doogald is onto something as it doesn't happen in BING searches.

Nor does it happen on my iPad Pro - but again the processor is different and there would be some software related differences too.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I think it would be hard to compare the iPod Touch to an iPhone, even though the version is the same the software would be different knowing one doesn't have cellular capabilities while the other does. Hoping those with a 6s running 9.2.1 can chime in. It is almost certainly a software issue as it doesn't happen all the time and it is a very fast flash of the photo once it is done loading. I think doogald is onto something as it doesn't happen in BING searches.

Nor does it happen on my iPad Pro - but again the processor is different and there would be some software related differences too.

It is most likely what doogald posted. Same thing happens to me on my iPhone. You are seeing the flash due to it going from the original low res image that Google supplies to the higher res once it finishes downloading. I get a similar response on my iMac as the high res image loads. Only difference there is a rolling bar at the bottom of the image while the high res loads. You just don't have the bar on the iPhone telling you this is happening.

DevinNJ

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I've seen this when I scroll through my Facebook feed. I've never noticed it in Safari, but I have definitely noticed it on Facebook. If I am scrolling through my feed and I stop on a picture it will actually blink. Doesn't always happen but it does from time to time. I'm running 9.2.1 on my 6S, on Verizon using the Facebook app.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I think it would be hard to compare the iPod Touch to an iPhone, even though the version is the same the software would be different

I don't think any of that matters honestly. I have an iPhone 6s just like you and I don't notice the issue you're having. The only difference between yours and mine, aside from the OS version, is probably connection. I'm on Wifi through a network with higher speeds than most home owners. Perhaps this blink is going faster than what I'm noticing.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I would respectfully disagree. While the network with higher speeds may play a role in why you don't see it so could the version of iOS you are running. Updates to iOS often patch of software glitches engineers, developers or the common user sees so I think the fact you are running iOS 9.3 could be a difference and/or relevant in this case.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I will say, the blink/flash is very quick so you have to be watching for it. I keep testing and cannot replicate it in BING image searches, it has not happened one time but does periodically happen when searching images in Google.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I would respectfully disagree. While the network with higher speeds may play a role in why you don't see it so could the version of iOS you are running. Updates to iOS often patch of software glitches engineers, developers or the common user sees so I think the fact you are running iOS 9.3 could be a difference and/or relevant in this case.

Then why not install 9.3 beta 5 and test. Then there would be no difference between my phone and yours. Uninstalling is easy peasy lemon squeezy.

How to downgrade from iOS 9.3 back to iOS 9.2 | iMore

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
No thanks, I have no desire to loading beta versions on my phone. My personal preference is to wait for final releases and the initial feedback from those who have updated. This thread was solely to see if others were experiencing it, looks like two others with 9.2.1 on their devices are which answers a lot of my questions. Thanks for the suggestion and I hope 9.3 is treating you well. I will await the official release.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion and I hope 9.3 is treating you well. I will await the official release.

It's pure awesome-sauce! I'm a beta-haulic though. Waiting for my addon developer beta invite for Wow Legion so I can test the addons I wrote.. very excited.

DevinNJ

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I don't think any of that matters honestly. I have an iPhone 6s just like you and I don't notice the issue you're having. The only difference between yours and mine, aside from the OS version, is probably connection. I'm on Wifi through a network with higher speeds than most home owners. Perhaps this blink is going faster than what I'm noticing.

Not so sure about the speed being the issue. I do tech support at my local cable, internet and phone company and have access to some pretty fast speeds. At home I'm running 100/100, and it has happened at both places. Not always, but it does happen often enough that I question why. I'm going to start using Facebook through the website for a while and see if it continues.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR